What Happened Here ?

From what I have seen some of the replies here are from some guy who has way to many gun magazines next to the crapper and just repeat what they have read Then you have some that are truly informative from someone really trying to help or just give solid advice based on his or her experiences like stated earlier you just have to wade through the cr-p to get there
You Slobbered a Bib Full Rite There, ShoNuff

Glad you said it Bean. When people are asking for help or an opinion from someone with more knowledge on the topic, they should get it. That's what this is for. I too have been reloading since I was 14 (although I'm 44 not 53) and am still using my single stage RCBS Special 5. I joined this forum due to all the knowledge and help on it. I find there are still many like you to offer help and that will keep it going strong. I'll try to help where I can, but I am far behind others on here. The first thing I noticed after joining was how fast guys responded (helpful posts and some not so much) which is great. I understand the frustration some of you seasoned members may have with some posts or lack thereof, but all in all, this is a great forum. Others I'm on don't move at all and are nothing but childish arguing.
Your not behind at all my friend, I've seen your replies and you have been spot on so far,

I'm 53 too, Bean. Anyway, much younger to the Forum than most but I really like it. For all intents and purposes, it is my Face Book. Many good contributors here and always good to hear From Bill, Dep, LV, JE and many, many more who always contribute in a positive way. I recognize the bantering of which you speak and if it's ramping up, that's disappointing. Case in point was that Supressor thread a few months back. What a classic! That said, I think it comes with the territory. Look at the subject matter - Guns and Hunting. Can you think of a more fertile ground for testosterone laden self aggrandizement and one upsmanship? I can't. Probably guilty of it myself sometimes. That's why it's nice to see the ladies post once in a while. Anyway, for all it's flaws, this place beats the pants off Snipers Hide, Rockslide and MD Shooters IMHO. If I gotta sift through some BS to get to the meat, It's worth it for now.

Best,

YZ

......P.S. For the old Hands , If it keeps on like this I guess I'll just load everything I have with IMR 7828 ssc and some Bergers and call it good ;).......

I thought H4831sc was a revolutionary act.

1) Some is just growing pains, a town with 10,000 souls have fewer people problems than those with 100,00.
2) Average age here is to the mature side, old wolves that don't take poking at very much.
3) Connected to that is we mastered a few skills over the years, but keyboards give us fits.
4) Lost here is the body language that is a huge part of human communication.
5) I put my kids through college, and their inheritance is likely to be stuff that causes them to scratch their heads, and wonder what was he thinking.
6) Trolls and hackers are real. When I see a handle that hasn't been used in a decade, throw down, it's suspicious to me.

The cracker barrel, and old style gunsmith shops had something the big box stores, and interweb can't quite replace, but we try.

If I get out of line remind me my medication is due!

I'm 53 too, Bean. Anyway, much younger to the Forum than most but I really like it. For all intents and purposes, it is my Face Book. Many good contributors here and always good to hear From Bill, Dep, LV, JE and many, many more who always contribute in a positive way. I recognize the bantering of which you speak and if it's ramping up, that's disappointing. Case in point was that Supressor thread a few months back. What a classic! That said, I think it comes with the territory. Look at the subject matter - Guns and Hunting. Can you think of a more fertile ground for testosterone laden self aggrandizement and one upsmanship? I can't. Probably guilty of it myself sometimes. That's why it's nice to see the ladies post once in a while. Anyway, for all it's flaws, this place beats the pants off Snipers Hide, Rockslide and MD Shooters IMHO. If I gotta sift through some BS to get to the meat, It's worth it for now.

Best,

YZ
See that little button that says 'Report'? Use it when you think something is against the rules of this forum or could get this forum in hot water. It is all of our responsibility to keep this forum user friendly. Just saying.

Good post Bean! I'm 56 been shooting since i could walk, it seems. My dad was the range officer in the Navy reserve when I was a boy. He always encouraged us to shoot a lot.
My first long range hunting was in the 80's. There was this spot I would always see a few bulls but they were WAY too far to shoot- 600 yards by my stepping it off. So one spring I built a stainless steel shim for the back Conetrol base on my Win. M70 classic 300 WBY. Then I hiked in there with a quarter sheet of plywood and set it up on the hill. I zeroed my Burris signature 3x9 at that 600 yard range. That fall I hiked in there morning and night, and on Halloween I killed a nice 5 point bull. It was the only place I used that gun for 12 years, but I killed a Bull there every year.
I think a lot of what you are talking about comes from the "facebook culture". People without real experiences want to give advice outside their wheelhouse. And sometimes we get someone that has been banned on several other sites because they are trouble, those guys usually don't last long here but I do think they make people tune out of the site. Just imagine though the amount of time Len spends on policing this place! I think a delete button for the OP of each thread would be a good thing. Maybe with a note that says "some posts not relevant have been deleted by OP" Maybe with a limit on how many can be deleted or something. I do know this has been a great site for me, I have learned a lot and continue to learn. I try to help others when I have had similar experiences they are struggling with.
And I have an arm full of SWFA's and shoot long with them all the time!

My date stamp shows I've been here a long time. In fact I joined to educate myself before I bought my first centerfire rifle. Learned everything I knew, for awhile, here. There was a cohort of very accomplished long range hunters/shooters who dominated back then, and I owe them a lot.

Much has changed over the years. Most of those people don't post much/at all anymore, and I find that sad. But that is the natural progression of all sites like this. Now we have a more diverse crew.

I think the negative aspects noted are more a reflection of social media and society behavior in general rather than a reflection on this site. This site is far more inviting than social media/boards in general. Nothing is perfect.

I thought H4831sc was a revolutionary act.

1) Some is just growing pains, a town with 10,000 souls have fewer people problems than those with 100,00.
2) Average age here is to the mature side, old wolves that don't take poking at very much.
3) Connected to that is we mastered a few skills over the years, but keyboards give us fits.
4) Lost here is the body language that is a huge part of human communication.
5) I put my kids through college, and their inheritance is likely to be stuff that causes them to scratch their heads, and wonder what was he thinking.
6) Trolls and hackers are real. When I see a handle that hasn't been used in a decade, throw down, it's suspicious to me.

The cracker barrel, and old style gunsmith shops had something the big box stores, and interweb can't quite replace, but we try.

If I get out of line remind me my medication is due!
Do you remember MudRunner

Do you remember MudRunner

The bickering and rudeness has gotten a little out of hand as of late. I fell off the site for the spring and early summer for fishing season and I come back to a war zone lol

I figured you and mudrunner would've been friends being he was one of the loudest proponents of 7stw.😆 he would be happy to know people still talk about him on here

I try not to talk down of anyone's set up if mine is any better or not it's only because I've been working at it for several years I believe my biggest problem is getting off subject because as mentioned earlier this is my social club I know so many people and have so many friends that I've never met but feel I know in some respect and I may start rambling on talking with them and get off track my mind wanders a little if anyone notices me doing this please bring me back down to earth thank you

I checked in because ButterBean helped me a bunch on the back side when I was afraid to jump into a fray that he was involved in. I could see that he was one of the group that knew what he was talking about so went around to the back door to get some good information.
I am 84 years old today and was shooting by the time I was 8 and shooting a 45-70 at age 10. But I never did any LR shooting unless you call 100yds with a 22 LongRifle Long Range. So I came here for information. This has been, generaly, a better than most site. Some have assumed because I came here asking basic info that maybe I was a beginner. I think that is because they never bother to check a persons bio before cutting loose.
No, I am no expert but its a bit insulting to get a lecture on gun safety, at my age, from someone that is my grandsons age. No that didnt take place on this forum. But you know what I mean.
Stick around, ButterBean, you helped me a couple of days ago, so your star is still shining.

I guess this forum is kind of like my Facebook, cause I've never done Facebook.
A fellow told me that there's only two things on Facebook. Complaining or bragging. Anyway, I'm sure I've posted some things that could have been better than what they were. I do enjoy trying to help someone out with their shooting. If I ever led some one in the wrong direction, I didn't do it knowingly. I admit I don't know everything. It's the folks that won't admit that they don't know everything that is usually a stumbling block for a fellow on a budget trying to get into this. Most people don't just go from shooting factory ammo in a $350 rifle to purchasing a $5000 rifle with $3000 optic & handloading. There's usually a long transition to that. I always liked trying to do everything I possibly could in this sport for myself along with learning from others. Seems like that's what most of us here does also. That's what makes this forum great. But yeah, there's a few here that just wants to prove that they wrote the book on long range shooting & hunting and enjoys talking down to the little guy. Maybe those guys will find the Hide & join up over there.

@ButterBean, hang in there Brother ... happy thoughts, cheers!

Believe me, it used to be a lot worst. Some were banned or left on their own. Those that are still around that make a civil exchange of ideas harder are in my growing ignore list. I try not to lose any sleep over it though. There are still a lot of good folks here that are always willing and able to lend a helping hand on threads or via PM. We tend to gravitate to those that we share a common interest, values, and beliefs.

Be good and be safe. God bless!

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts