What Happened Here ?

ButterBean

I joined here in 2012 after lurking in the shadows for years, I immediately fell in with the 7mm STW crowd and after some Com's with Len we ended up with our own Sub Forum, I would like to thank him still for that as I have some really close friends that came solely out of that forum.
We helped everybody no matter what they had our what they were using, we all just wanted to help, it was as simple as that, I loved it here and it was a second home if you will where you could find anything you needed in an instant, there were a few WaterHeads but they didn't last long with tall stories and rubbish. I started Reloading when I was 14 with a Lee Challenger kit ( I still have it today ) I made lots of mistakes, learned by trial and error as I had no mentor, I annealed by hand , I used Lee dies and I built some really good ammo with that setup, I've since upgraded ( and degraded) all of my equipment a bunch of times, I'm 53 now and I'm almost back to the same setup I started with , Now what I'm getting at is the help part, it seems that 90% of all the questions asked any more never get answered and the thread turns in to a garbage pile, A young re-loader ask about how to use "His" brand X tool and the first response is throw that junk away and get this, Asks about help getting a factory gun to shoot and you get just throw the barrel away and get a new one, I would think if he had the means he would have already done it, they are asking for help with what they have not what they ought to buy, Scopes are another sore subject, sure there is awesome top tier glass but I see members tell someone they cant shoot a 1000 yards with a straight 10X SWFA, well I will assure you that you can, If you can afford it I'm tickled for you but why would you bash someone that can't, I really loved this place at one time and I know there are a few of the old guard left that really truly want to help anyway they can but they don't say much anymore for all of the bashing . I could go on and on but I'll leave it at that, I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest and I mean no offense to anyone, Just simply asking what happened to this place
Bean

P.S. For the old Hands , If it keeps on like this I guess I'll just load everything I have with IMR 7828 ssc and some Bergers and call it good ;)

Last edited:
I love all my Lee dies. They've made me some great, straight, consistent ammo. And I'm sure someone with more experience than me could use them to make even better ammo.

I've received some very good advice and information. But it does seem that the best has come from the older guys. And there's usually a bit of time spent weeding through the crap replies of upgrading gear. Instant satisfaction and shortcuts are becoming more commonplace everywhere

I love all my Lee dies. They've made me some great, straight, consistent ammo. And I'm sure someone with more experience than me could use them to make even better ammo.

I've received some very good advice and information. But it does seem that the best has come from the older guys. And there's usually a bit of time spent weeding through the crap replies of upgrading gear. Instant satisfaction and shortcuts are becoming more commonplace everywhere

Weeding through older threds sometimes leads membera to just start a new one, too much times gets wasted trying to get an answer going to a bunch of responses that have nothing to do with such thread. So it's just easier to start a new thread and done.

Some members will complain and refer the member to the older threads but sometimes or most times those got hijacked and are useless, besides anyone here can start a new thread if they want to, it's still a free country, barely but it still is, I think.

I still use Lee Dies myself

Weeding through older threds sometimes leads membera to just start a new one, too much times gets wasted trying to get an answer going to a bunch of responses that have nothing to do with such thread. So it's just easier to start a new thread and done.

Some members will complain and refer the member to the older threads but sometimes or most times those got hijacked and are useless, besides anyone here can start a new thread if they want to, it's still a free country, barely but it still is, I think.
One of my biggest pet peeves are the "use the search feature" responses.

First, you had and took the time to post a response, why couldn't you have made it worth while for yourself, the OP, and the rest of the forum members?? Second, as with many industries, technologies and products are rapidly evolving. A thread with a specific question and great answers that's six months old may not be super relevant today given new products that have emerged. Sure you may get some good information out of that thread in a general sense at least, but you may not get the best answers for today. If you're not willing to take the time to help, just keep scrolling!

Hey throw that out dated 7stw in the garbage. What you really need is a 28Nosler. Geez how can anyone deal with those stupid belts anymore. It's 2020 time to upgrade. 😂🤣😭
Gotta love how many new cartridges just do exactly what we been using for decades. I built my first 7-300 wby in 1990 and loved the thing except for the recoil. Never did an stw because I already had the setup for 7-300 and they are practically identical in performance. I've built quite a few 28noslers for guys but really haven't seen it do anything the oldies couldn't do. The shorter case is definitely an advantage for seating and throating.
There are definitely different kinds of shooters on this site but that's what makes it great. You can learn just as much from all of them in different ways. Probably someone on here that kills deer every yr with a 30-30 and factory loads. You learn from him that yes simple works dang good too.
Some people have all the toys and you learn from them that you need a better job so you can have a 5000 dollar scope on all your rifles. Then there are guys like me who shoot way more compatition and like to help with getting the best accuacy by reloading better. I think the community being so diverse is one reason I like this site best. Being a comp shooter there are several sites that have more of this type shooter. But you think the answers here get tough go to AS or BC and ask questions there. I don't know where these guys come from because I can assure you guys at the range I compete with aren't like that.
There will always be some bad apples anywhere you go. Ignore the few so you can enjoy the most.
I started on a Lee Challenger press with Lee Dies. I still use the dipper spoon I got in that set in 1988. It's not very yellow on the end anymore. That one spoon has probably had 100 pounds of powder ran through it. It would be more but I bought all the spoons and couldn't load without them.
Keep shooting that antiquated 7stw and maybe some day they will do a 7 that can do way more but I still think the stw is right up at the top of the heap. Although it's definitely not gonna outdo a 6.5creed.😁
Shep

From what I have seen some of the replies here are from some guy who has way to many gun magazines next to the crapper and just repeats what they have read Then you have some that are truly informative from someone really trying to help or just give solid advice based on his or her experiences like stated earlier you just have to wade through the cr-p to get there

Last edited:
I joined here in 2012 after lurking in the shadows for years, I immediately fell in with the 7mm STW crowd and after some Com's with Len we ended up with our own Sub Forum, I would like to thank him still for that as I have some really close friends that came solely out of that forum.
We helped everybody no matter what they had our what they were using, we all just wanted to help, it was as simple as that, I loved it here and it was a second home if you will where you could find anything you needed in an instant, there were a few WaterHeads but they didn't last long with tall stories and rubbish. I started Reloading when I was 14 with a Lee Challenger kit ( I still have it today ) I made lots of mistakes, learned by trial and error as I had no mentor, I annealed by hand , I used Lee dies and I built some really good ammo with that setup, I've since upgraded ( and degraded) all of my equipment a bunch of times, I'm 53 now and I'm almost back to the same setup I started with , Now what I'm getting at is the help part, it seems that 90% of all the questions asked any more never get answered and the thread turns in to a garbage pile, A young re-loader ask about how to use "His" brand X tool and the first response is throw that junk away and get this, Asks about help getting a factory gun to shoot and you get just throw the barrel away and get a new one, I would think if he had the means he would have already done it, they are asking for help with what they have not what they ought to buy, Scopes are another sore subject, sure there is awesome top tier glass but I see members tell someone they cant shoot a 1000 yards with a straight 10X SWFA, well I will assure you that you can, If you can afford it I'm tickled for you but why would you bash someone that can't, I really loved this place at one time and I know there are a few of the old guard left that really truly want to help anyway they can but they don't say much anymore for all of the bashing . I could go on and on but I'll leave it at that, I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest and I mean no offense to anyone, Just simply asking what happened to this place
Bean

P.S. For the old Hands , If it keeps on like this I guess I'll just load everything I have with IMR 7828 ssc and some Bergers and call it good ;)
Glad you said it Bean. When people are asking for help or an opinion from someone with more knowledge on the topic, they should get it. That's what this is for. I too have been reloading since I was 14 (although I'm 44 not 53) and am still using my single stage RCBS Special 5. I joined this forum due to all the knowledge and help on it. I find there are still many like you to offer help and that will keep it going strong. I'll try to help where I can, but I am far behind others on here. The first thing I noticed after joining was how fast guys responded (helpful posts and some not so much) which is great. I understand the frustration some of you seasoned members may have with some posts or lack thereof, but all in all, this is a great forum. Others I'm on don't move at all and are nothing but childish arguing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.