WHY????

Why do you rarely see any 243 caliber rifles on here for sale???? Would like to here everyone's opinion of the 243. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
My favorite caliber is a .22-250 but......the .243 with 75 grainers is crazy accurate - once I free-floated the barrel. A lot of gun with little recoil.

I bought a Ruger 77 varmit barrel tang safety in 6mm Remington in about 1980. Many many dead squirrels and jackrabbits. Also several hogs, deer and antelope.

Still my favorite gun to shoot. Very little recoil and the game dies. For me 300 or so is a long poke at deer/hogs/coyotes. Perfect out those ranges

Same basic caliber as 243 just harder to get components now

I've had a 243 win. of some brand or another, my whole adult life. There may a be more versatile cartridge on varmints up to and including mule deer but I'm not sure what it is. Great for women and kids too, light recoil in lightweight rifles, a wide range of bullet weights, all ammo manufacturers build ammo for it, what's not to like, think I'll keep mine too!
Same here. It's been a love affair since 1962.

he long and short of it, they're a great rifle. But, there are newer calibers with higher BC coefficient that out preform the 243. The rise of the creedmore put the 243 way in the back of the mind of a new shooter.
Help me out here. I thought the BC only applied to the bullet. If so, once identical bullets leave barrels of equal twist at equal velocities, it doesn't matter what propelled it. What we look for is uniform velocity. It may be that some cartridge designs insure more consistent MVs.
So,if an 8 twist 243 and an 8 twist 6 Creed shoot the same bullet at the same muzzle velocity, the down range performance should be the same. Right?

the newer bullets are elongated and would not fit into a older chamber. If you increase the freebore then you would be able to shoot a newer longer bullet. If you where to shoot the new bullet that’s longer, then it would have to go down further in the case and you would not be able to get as much powder therefore you wouldn’t be able to get the bullet to travel as fast.

The new bullets are longer and therefore have less drag which creates less wind resistance. Take for instance the 300 winmag vers the 300 PRC. Both 30 Cal’s, but the new rounds have a longer bullet relative to the older one. The older rounds have a different point to them. I attached a photo to the post. The smaller one is an old 180 grain bullet and the bigger one is a 215 hybrid. You can see that the new one is more pointed and has a higher bc. The older one is fatter and more rounded and has a lower bc.

I hope that helps, if not I’m sure Ron Spomer has a video about it.

Attachments

• IMG_8234.jpeg
    IMG_8234.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 17
A good gunsmith with a throating reamer makes this a non issue. I've got a 6 CM with a 7.5 twist and an 8 twist 243 with a custom throat, they both shoot 105 Bergers within 30 fps of each other, accuracy is almost identical, with a slight velocity edge going to the 6 CM. But with roughly 2.5 grains more powder........ I should mention they're both 22 in barrels. For what it's worth.

A good gunsmith with a throating reamer makes this a non issue. I've got a 6 CM with a 7.5 twist and an 8 twist 243 with a custom throat, they both shoot 105 Bergers within 30 fps of each other, accuracy is almost identical, with a slight velocity edge going to the 6 CM. But with roughly 2.5 grains more powder........ I should mention they're both 22 in barrels. For what it's worth.
That what I said by increasing the freebore. But, most new shooters don’t have enough money for a gunsmith. They’re just going to buy a new gun with a new caliber, and shoot it.

I fell in love with a 22-250 in my teens and shot the crap out of that thing. It's the only rifle to date that I've actually shot out. After that I bought a 700vls in 243 from my grandfather. The chamber was pooched from the factory but I lucked out and it cleaned up with an AI reamer. After shooting the 243AI, I was like, where have you been all my life? I've really been enjoying the 6mm. Originally I had planned on shooting the 55gr noslers but I haven't been able to get away from the 85gr bthp gamekings. Yeah, I think I'll always have one now.
20230203_155252.jpg

The 243 Turdchester deserves to be off the list of for sale guns, it identifies as a red headed stepchild and doesn’t know if it’s a varmint round (most likely) or a deer round (most unlikely). It appears to kill hogs with the CORRECT bullet choice dead, when it’s able to connect adequately…

Cheers.

Last edited: