WHY????

The 243 Turdchester deserves to be off the list of for sale guns, it identifies as a red headed stepchild and doesn’t know it it’s a varmint round (most likely) or a deer round (most unlikely). It appears to kill hogs with the CORRECT bullet choice dead, when it’s able to connect adequately…

Cheers.
Each time I think of a .243 I’m thankful Dad bought me a. 25/06 in the beginning.
Smart Man.

I have a couple, and they're not going anywhere. My model 700 kills whitetails, even western Kansas big bodied whitetails as dead as dead can be. Not sure how many I've shot with it, but only one ran out of sight, and it didn't run 75 yards. Every other one died within steps of where it was shot, coyotes don't like it either.

My 243win is a Remington 788 which my dad bought for me in 1981 when I was in the 8th grade. It was my first Hi Power rifle and we had a coyote problem. The coyote were eating dads peanuts, so my job was to shoot as many as i could day and night. I killed 280 the first year and about that many more in the following years. Learned how to reload hornady 87gr bullets and 37gr of Imr 4064. Was a deadly little rifle and ammo combo. I wore the rifle action and barrel smooth out. Still have the rifle and will never sell it.

Last edited:
I think it’s Vudoo really. They must get collected by Witch doctors to extract the mystical awesomess they possess.

I spent 10yrs wandering different gun shows and pawn shops as young man trying to find a duplicate Savage 99 in .243 to the old family rifle
…. I swore it was the most accurate rifle ever, watching some of the guys that wheeled it in the field make extraordinary shots on game and coyotes.

Finally got ahold of one, love to have that thing in the scabbard slid in the back of the truck, the SxS, or Fourwheeler. Perfect coyote and deer rifle.
I have sent it out the door with a couple of buddies and their kids too, it’s got good mojo.

You Know , I never owned a 243. Sold a ton of 788s, and ADL's and Ruger 77 RS ( Rings and Sights ) in that caliber in my youth. Usually with a 3 to 9 Bushnell and sometimes a Leupold 3 to 9 VX2 . What a great Cartridge. I think when were are all standing at the Pearly Gates, waiting for the "Range" to open, we will all remember the 3000 different Cartridges we all knew about , and argued about which was best and how out of that batch there were maybe 10 or 12 that were just fine at what they did. Just as they came from the factory , Easy to shoot, no big Blast , no scary recoil, just all around fine !!! Chambered in a light to medium weight rifle, just a perfect little deer /varmint rifle. In my VERY HUMBLE 3 of those 10 are the .222 Rem; the 243 and the 270 Win. The overused word I'm looking for is CLASSIC!!! Enjoy it!!!

Nobody wants to sell their kid’s first rifle….
My dad sold mine, and then it burned up in a truck fire. Technically it wasn't mine since he never gave it to me but he bought it for me to hunt with when I started hunting.

....people keep them for starter rifles for their kids and ladies to use, cheap to shoot, most are daily drivers, brass is readily available for most cartridges and most are accurate....

I always wanted one and finally found one a couple years ago, it’s a model 7 McWorter custom from the 90s best I can tell. It’s got a hart barrel and shoots light out! Id never sell it

I have always LOVED the 243.
My dad had an absolute tack drive Remington Model 78 in 243.. it got stolen….after a few years of research.. i luckily found a new, in the box Model 78 243 on Gab and bought for my 6 mo grandson. He is not 8 and is shooting it.

I also had a custom LH 243 made by Clarence Hammonds of PA about 10 years ago.
It shoots the lights out …. Same hole at 100! and is an absolute deer slayer..
Will be inherited.. and not sold!

243 smal but deadly and accurate!

One of my early rifles was a Remington 660 in 243 that I used to slay a few whitetail deer in my native home state of Florida and then used it on my first western hunt in Colorado to take a prong horn. It wasn’t the best platform for a .243 with its stubby barrel only producing 2550 fps with Remington 100 grain CL factory loads. But it did work. I then used a Winchester model 70 post 64 to take a Dall Sheep in Alaska but was very disappointed in the performance but dismissed that experience as not characteristic of the cartridge. A few years later I ordered a Remington 7 barreled action in 243 and bedded it in a McMillan Hunter stock for my oldest son. He took his first big game with it at age 10 which is the minimum age to hunt big game in Arizona, so did his three younger brothers. They finally shot out the barrel and I replaced it with a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and my granddaughter used it to take her first big game animal. I think the 6.5 Creedmoor is even more versatile than the .243 and more popular now for good reasons but both are great calibers.

I've always been a bit of a 243/6mm fan, but was without one about 10 years ago. The local pawn shop had an older, but clean, R700 ADL in 243. The wood stock and the bluing attracted me to it. $250 and the guy threw in an Echo weedeater with it.

It went to the range with me a few times and I found a nice load for it, but never took it varmint hunting. Eventually it was traded off to a friend for a R700 243 VS in an HS Precision stock. It sees a lot more range time, and earlier this year I even did some long range shooting with it, all the way to 1100 with a 105 Amax.

Nowadays, the 6 Creedmoor has gained popularity and I really like the thought of the 6GT. A much more efficient cartridge and the twist rates are more suited to the type of bullets that I shoot.

I've probably killed more deer and yotes with a 243 and a 95gr NBT's than anything I own.......it used to be my favorite until I found out about the 6SLR....it's what the 243 should have been IMO.