WHY????

Can't disagree but the higher BC does not matter inside 300, probably 400, which is well beyond the range that most new shooters/hunters will be shooting. It's a shame they seldom hear of the 243 before purchasing their 6.5 creedmoor.
It's not even just the needmore 6arc, 22 creedmore, 22 arc, and 6 creedmore. Those are all rounds that are pretty popular and can shoot near and far. 400 yards is not a long shot anymore with all the information that's out there. Now, it's probably harder to find a range that has 400 yards than it is to shoot 400 yards.

Last edited:
I like 243. Always have. I hunted whitetail with a 243 in Alabama for years and years.

I think the reason you don’t see them much now is the high performance 6mms with the long slick bullets have kind of taken over the market place.

You can do the same thing with a 243 that people are doing with the 6mm creedmoor, if it was chambered for the longer heavier bullets and had fast twist.

The older guns aren’t really made that way.

That’s my theory.

Why do you rarely see any 243 caliber rifles on here for sale???? Would like to here everyone's opinion of the 243. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
I own a .243 but do not sell any of my rifles, regardless of caliber/chambering.

Ruger No.1 .243 Win.jpg

My first rifle was a post ‘64 m70 in .243. Shot minute of pie plate on its best day. Sold it after a couple years. Strange that’s about the only caliber I don’t have now…..🤣

For me the 243 fills a need. I currentlly have 2 a pre 64 mod 70 fw and a FN model 70 CRF. The 243 was not my first choice but 6mm rem ammo and guns kind of faded away. For me when I bow hunt, but take a rifle along for coyotes and predators, but what if you got an opportunity at a bear or called in a MT Lion, and may need/want a little more horse power than a 22 cal. Not to mention it is a great choice for the wife, kids or new shooter hunting deer size game, and so I don't get anyones dander up I will not mention the elk that have met their maker at the muzzle of the 243 or 6mm rem. and we never lost one!