WHY????

One of the BEST Deer Rifles we have!!!
Rem 700 Mountain Rifle DM in .243 with a new BC Stock. Sporting a Nikon GOLD Custom Ordered 2.5 -10 x50
Shoots bug holes and is very light 24" barrel

Attachments

• Rem 700 Mountain DM -243.jpg
    Rem 700 Mountain DM -243.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Nobody wants to sell their kid's first rifle….
Or our first rifle in my case! I’ve owned more 243s than any other caliber, and will inherit dads, which his dad gave him when he was 16. Growing up I didn’t know there was anything to hunt with but a 243… that changed fast though😂.

I had a model 7 Predator in 243 on here in last 6 months, tire kickers only so now I’m working up something under 75gr to see if I can get close to 257 wby speeds without buying a new Roy.
Why do you rarely see any 243 caliber rifles on here for sale???? Would like to hear everyone's opinion of the 243. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Pro tip, cabelas has a few in several reputable brands for great prices. They have one BDL in a varmint stock 26” barrel for like $650… had mine sold I’d be all over that or one of the Sakos or tikkas

I've had a 243 win. of some brand or another, my whole adult life. There may a be more versatile cartridge on varmints up to and including mule deer but I'm not sure what it is. Great for women and kids too, light recoil in lightweight rifles, a wide range of bullet weights, all ammo manufacturers build ammo for it, what's not to like, think I'll keep mine too!
Hey, James,
Did you get a bear over there this spring?

I had the 243 re- built into a 7-08 . It was my grandfather's gun and it was my dad's intention to do the caliber swap back in the 80s sometime. He never did it and gave the rifle and barrel to me . After 2 years of not getting it to shoot worth a darn . It was reborn and is a absolute tack driver. It pushes a 140 ttsx at just under 3100 fps and I was banging steel at 2 and 3 hundred yds last week.

Remember the old Winchester 70 Ranger?
I have one with 22" barrel and hinged floorplate. It is push-feed Featherweight but with lower grade stock.
Shoots 80's really well with the barrel twist. 100's get a bit squirrely.
Was my truck gun for a short while but retired it to keep it in great shape.
Sure is a handy rifle.

Last edited:

Recent Posts