This is whats wrong with hunting today

What do you believe the max range is for a .22-250 or .22 Creedmoor on deer sized game?...How about bear (what type of bear)?
Thanks
My 22-250 has had zero problem out to 479 yards here in NY that’s a long shot. 50 grain bullet. Same range for creeds as well as I’m in Ny. Black bears I’d have no problem with a 300 yard shot with a heavier bullet out of my creed. 22-250 is limited with 14 twist but if I had it I’d use it. If I had snow on the ground to track with and was proficient at 600 yards with the creed I’d have no problem sending an85.5 Berger through a deer. Everyone puts them down due to not using them. I killed my first black bear in the pasture 28 years ago with a well placed shot at 218 paces with a 22 magnum. Probably still have that bullet in my father’s house. Got stuck in his ribs after penetrating both lungs. Summer time nuisance bear without much fat! Pictures below are 22 creed and 22-250 first was 22 creed 75 Berger just at 300 yards. Boys with 22-250 and 53 grain match king 240 yds. Next 22 creed and 5 year olds first deer 60 yards. Then my 10 point 22-250 50 grain Speer tnt 200 yards. Last 3 pics and 22 creed and 85.5 berger at 300 yards. I’m very fortunate to be able to test calibers and loads off my deck. Let’s just say I’ve sold 270 win, 7wsm,270wsm,257 wby and many other hot rods as they didn’t do it for me. I still have cannons but usually grab the 22 cals. They’re not for everyone but I have never felt under gunned.

Attachments

• IMG_3510.jpeg
    IMG_3510.jpeg
    627.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1319.jpeg
    IMG_1319.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3190.jpeg
    IMG_3190.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2120.jpeg
    IMG_2120.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2119.jpeg
    IMG_2119.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2118.jpeg
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 25
Not only is he just blowing smoke he is also breaking the law if he is hunting with a .22 Cal in Colorado. It is 6mm/.243 70 grains for deer and 85 for elk.
While true, many of the old regs were written decades ago and mostly before modern, heavy for caliber VLD's, Bonded, Partitions and monos. A 70gr 6mm of any type is legal, but a 70-90gr .224 is not. Regardless of construction - Mono, Swift, Partition, Bonded, CnC, etc, etc. Also, a 6mm 85gr of any construction is legal for elk, but and 85.5gr, 88gr or 90gr in .224 of better construction and/or BC is not.

Sooner or later, old regs will need to catch up with many other states.

Last edited:
My 22-250 has had zero problem out to 479 yards here in NY that’s a long shot. 50 grain bullet. Same range for creeds as well as I’m in Ny. Black bears I’d have no problem with a 300 yard shot with a heavier bullet out of my creed. 22-250 is limited with 14 twist but if I had it I’d use it. If I had snow on the ground to track with and was proficient at 600 yards with the creed I’d have no problem sending an85.5 Berger through a deer. Everyone puts them down due to not using them. I killed my first black bear in the pasture 28 years ago with a well placed shot at 218 paces with a 22 magnum. Probably still have that bullet in my father’s house. Got stuck in his ribs after penetrating both lungs. Summer time nuisance bear without much fat! Pictures below are 22 creed and 22-250 first was 22 creed 75 Berger just at 300 yards. Boys with 22-250 and 53 grain match king 240 yds. Next 22 creed and 5 year olds first deer 60 yards. Then my 10 point 22-250 50 grain Speer tnt 200 yards. Last 3 pics and 22 creed and 85.5 berger at 300 yards. I’m very fortunate to be able to test calibers and loads off my deck. Let’s just say I’ve sold 270 win, 7wsm,270wsm,257 wby and many other hot rods as they didn’t do it for me. I still have cannons but usually grab the 22 cals. They’re not for everyone but I have never felt under gunned.
This is all great stuff!!! I have great respect for your affinity for the 22 cal. Seems like it works out great in your part of the country. I guess where the "controversy" lies is what a person considers long range and whether they are humble enough to know the limits and stick to them. You sir, seem to have plenty of experience and know the limits of your shooting system. Something that a lot of people like the guy in this video care little about. And that's my point.

This is all great stuff!!! I have great respect for your affinity for the 22 cal. Seems like it works out great in your part of the country. I guess where the "controversy" lies is what a person considers long range and whether they are humble enough to know the limits and stick to them. You sir, seem to have plenty of experience and know the limits of your shooting system. Something that a lot of people like the guy in this video care little about. And that's my point.
Fairly applies to ALL calibers, loads, bullets, shooters, etc.

They are definitely not for everyone especially easily excitable people that like to sling lead then hope for drt!!! I absolutely love watching my boys wait for and execute well placed shots with their 22-250’s. But it’s the training. My 10 year old I don’t hesitate on letting him take a 300 yard shot he’s got 2 deer at 300 one 22-250 and one with 6 dasher and 65 grain Berger. My 8 year old is still limited to 100 yards but he will gravitate with time. Deer rarely go more than 10 yards.

Just an example but I do agree with you. The pictured buck was shot at 150ish yards with my 300 wsm and 165 grain game king. 308 hole going in probably 40 cal hole exiting breaking ribs on both sides and he ran 100 yards before dropping both lungs penetrated but not destroyed.

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 9