This is whats wrong with hunting today

I'am turning the corner on 70 years old....have a bad right eye a wrecked right shoulder and have had to learn to shoot left handed....don't shoot as much as I did when younger but still use a approbate caliber for hunting usually larger than most people would use....I have alway liked a hole in and out on a animal leaving a lot of blood to follow to a animal....

I worked doing animal control shooting and have shot 1000's of deer with every thing from a 222 Remington to a 50 B&M SS they all will kill a deer....just some will do a better job and some only with a precise shots....
One caliber that really shined in my work has been the 243 Winchester using Sierra 85 gr. HPBT bullet....I tend to shoot under 200 yards and shooting relaxed deer in a field feeding but its very rare for a deer to run 50 yards most are DRT....
To fill my deer tags during hunting season mostly use my pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in 7 mm Rem. Mag.....much rather have more than I might need than to little during hunting season.....
I didn’t say there was anything wrong with what he’s doing or why. I’m literally quoting him, he states that the reason he was using the 22 creedmore, it light recoil. So, he chooses this caliber over other hunting caliber’s.

I have no dog in this fight.

If one of you professionals could entertain me with the reason my 22-250 and 22 creed shouldn’t fill my freezer every year since I can remember please do! Why do I need to burn 50-90 grains of powder and throw 130-215 grain bullets for deer or black bear? Heck I oven use 6 dasher and 6creeds too.
What do you believe the max range is for a .22-250 or .22 Creedmoor on deer sized game?...How about bear (what type of bear)?
Thanks

Oh yeah, don`t go over there and say anything about a .223 not being a be all, end all big game caliber. They`ve got all kinds of damage photos and data and everything. The other day I was thinking about how I would feel if I was deep in big bear country with only my Savage 110 Storm in .223 and a couple of mags of 77 TMKs. " Naked " was the first thing that came to mind. " Hot lunch " was a close second.
Rokslide....nuff said

Here's a video of his side of the story. All charges dropped after video of land owner giving him permission was shown.

He took a plea deal to avoid the Felony, seems to have a real problem when it comes to hunting and staying out of trouble.

446339292_1490054604922603_7166966059263709152_n.jpg

448036788_1012958683005860_2033454239807210120_n.jpg

Last edited:
What do you believe the max range is for a .22-250 or .22 Creedmoor on deer sized game?...How about bear (what type of bear)?
Thanks
My 22/250-AI with 88's still has about 1,250 ft/lbs of energy at 600yds, and my 80gr load still has about 1,100 ft/lbs at same. My standard 22/250 in 1/9"tw with 75's still has 950 ft/lbs at 600yds. While I have not shot a deer sized game with either past the 500yd mark.....yet, the speed and energy numbers are there for the bullets to perform similar to others in their category like the 6's.

Last edited:
22 is the new 338, or is that the creed, and why does he naturally assume everyone can’t handle or shoot well the larger calibers, especially considering most today shoot breaks or suppressors. To many speak for others when they should be speaking for themselves, and many times with little to no experience to make a quick vid. I say that because if they did these ignorant vids wouldn’t be made in the first place.

He goes on to boast to the advantage of the prc’s high bc, of course comparing an 80 gr vs a 50 gr, yet then turns around and has an excuse of why the 22250 is 3-400 fps faster only because it uses a 50 grain not an 80. Clearly he want the sell with the apples to oranges.

I use to think many played dumb for views or just as a salesman to push something, but I’m beginning to think it’s not an act and people are actually that dumb.
He can't keep his eyes open when shooting his 22 creed so anything heaver probably would make him flinch.

My 22/250-AI with 88's still has about 1,250 ft/lbs of energy at 600yds, and my 80gr load still has about 1,100 ft/lbs at same. My standard 22/250 in 1/9"tw with 75's still has 950 ft/lbs at 600yds. While I have not shot a deer sized game with either past the 500yd mark.....yet, the speed and energy numbers are there for the bullets to perform similar to others in their category like the 6's.
That’s is IF you subscribe to energy being a meaningful metric for killing animals.

I don’t recall ever seeing a bullet manufacturer state a minimum energy requirement for expansion but they do put a minimum velocity.

That’s is IF you subscribe to energy being a meaningful metric for killing animals.

I don’t recall ever seeing a bullet manufacturer state a minimum energy requirement for expansion but they do put a minimum velocity.
Bingo! If anyone has followed any of my previous posts on the "energy" discussions, they know I am in total agreement. I used the "energy" argument for those who mandate a "minimum" of 1,000 ft/lbs for deer sized animals, but I have killed too many with handguns and muzzle loaders that don't or barely produce 500 ft/lbs at the muzzle or at impact.

As for speed at my altitude, my 88gr load still retains 2,520fps at 600yds, the 80gr load has 2,450fps at same, and the 75 in the standard 22/250 has about 2,400fps at 600yds.

Last edited: