Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Continue using my father’s old Ruger No 1 in 6mm REM

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Full custom in 6mm CM

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 15.9%

• Total voters
6mm Rem is a very modern cartridge, very little stretch, throw a 7 to 7.5 twist and shoot any bullet you want but faster than a Creed. Hey I love the creeds, got several, the best thing about them is availability of brass. I use Starline which is a dirty word around here but I'm a varmint shooter and I like at the very minimum 500 cases loaded and ready to go. The starline are giving me over 5 loads now with zero complaints. As for the Number 1's, they're yours, do what you like. To be honest they are a bit fussier than a bolt rifle. I'm just a sentimental, mostly mental, old dude that loves the hand me down toys. They'll go to the kids and grandkids when I leave this mortal coil. I do not fault you for selling them and getting something else. Heck, what you got? I could be interested.
PM sent

Happy times today at 300 yards - 6mm CM, reformed & necked down Federal SRP 6.5 CM, necks turned down to .268, 105 Hornady hpbt, Rem 7 1/2 primer, 40.5 grains of VN 160, 8 twist McGowen barrel, Ruger MKII SA.

7 consecutive hits on 3 inch steel at 300, 4 within 1.5, wind 3-5 mph at 9, group less than 2.5. Terrible light conditions - shooting in line to sun that was 20-25 deg up from flat, dust & smoke also - scope Vortex PST 6-24X50. .

This is good enough to chrony and tune a little. More data follows. Prelim work with 80 ELDVT & VN540 looking good.

Sort of wish I had a 8 twist 6mm AI for the 80 ELDVT's

Last edited:
All,

I have a hankering for a 6mm caliber rifle as I have never had that niche filled in my fleet. I recently inherited a Ruger No.1 chambered in 6mm Rem from my late father. It was one of his favorite rifles out of many. I'm undecided whether to use this rifle or sell and get another, more modern 6mm. Of course, it has the older, slower twist of yesteryear.

I love Tikkas, so the off the shelf .243 is enticing as it would get me shooting somewhat in the cheaper price range. As would a 6mm ARC AR upper.

I really like the stats of the 6mm CM. It's flat out a laser…but, the .243 has similar ballistics with a fast twist.

The 6mm ARC doesn't get me that excited when paired next to the 6 CM.

Intended purpose: Hunting rifle, but plan to shoot steel for hunting proficiency.

I'm an avid hand loader, so handloads will be used regardless of what rifle is finally chosen. I'm NOT super excited about having to neck up/down brass or fire form AI brass. I'm looking for a cartridge that I can buy brass off the shelf.

I'd love to hear all your input. Thanks in advance!
The easy button is 6 CM. For many reasons.

Fits in short action mags even with long high bc bullets.
Lapua brass as well as every other premium brass manf.
Can easily be made from 6.5 CM if needed using the same die.
Has the vel needed for typical hunting distances.
Not hard to tune.
Will work in large AR, bolt , etc firearms.
Good barrel life if you do not rapid fire.
100 lapua cases will last to wear out a barrel unless loading extreme with pressure.
A good balance for hunting and steel.

I voted custom 6cm. As I have 3 or 4 of em, multiple barrels for each. I also have a havak ph2 6cm that shoots very well. Was planning to use at the nrl hunter match here in Montana last May, but work kept me out of that match.

27.5 inch 8 twist #3 Bartlein.
6mmBR
105 Berger Hybrids for the long stuff @2848
70 grain Noslers for the closer stuff @3450
AB Suppressor Raptor 8 or 7.62 Warthog
Critters hate it
What powder are you using for the 70 gr Nosler? I just got some 75 HHT for my 6 Dasher and thought I'd try Benchmark.

All,

I have a hankering for a 6mm caliber rifle as I have never had that niche filled in my fleet. I recently inherited a Ruger No.1 chambered in 6mm Rem from my late father. It was one of his favorite rifles out of many. I'm undecided whether to use this rifle or sell and get another, more modern 6mm. Of course, it has the older, slower twist of yesteryear.

I love Tikkas, so the off the shelf .243 is enticing as it would get me shooting somewhat in the cheaper price range. As would a 6mm ARC AR upper.

I really like the stats of the 6mm CM. It's flat out a laser…but, the .243 has similar ballistics with a fast twist.

The 6mm ARC doesn't get me that excited when paired next to the 6 CM.

Intended purpose: Hunting rifle, but plan to shoot steel for hunting proficiency.

I'm an avid hand loader, so handloads will be used regardless of what rifle is finally chosen. I'm NOT super excited about having to neck up/down brass or fire form AI brass. I'm looking for a cartridge that I can buy brass off the shelf.

I'd love to hear all your input. Thanks in advance!
If you sell that rifle you'll regret it the rest of your life no matter what you do about getting another rifle. I like the seekins in 6 creedmoor

What powder are you using for the 70 gr Nosler? I just got some 75 HHT for my 6 Dasher and thought I'd try Benchmark.
VV 135
I could up the speed but it shoots too good to bother. I actually use the exact same charge for both bullets and they average within two feet per second of each other.

VV 135
I could up the speed but it shoots too good to bother. I actually use the exact same charge for both bullets and they average within two feet per second of each other.
The two feet per second difference is between 70 grain Nosler BTs and 75 grain HHTs.