Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Continue using my father’s old Ruger No 1 in 6mm REM

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Full custom in 6mm CM

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 15.9%

• Total voters
Thoughts on a custom? I'm thinking custom Tikka from a CTR action or….a Zermatt. Either would likely be a 20" proof carbon.

That is the beauty of a Custom, it is what you want, so you have to ask yourself what is it that you like. For my business I have Kelbly and Terminus, never owned what you are listing. I like the Kelbly for smoothness, mechanical ejector and Terminus in a 60 degree bolt throw and it is smooth as well. I just received an email from Kelbly, last week, stating they now have 75 degree bolt throw along with the 90 degree bolt throw. So, it makes it even sweeter for me to use Kelbly.

I will also add, you need to consider, when using Custom the mag type you want to use, BDL or DBM. In either one, you must order the action according to the type you pick. If BDL hinged floor plate, then make sure the action is cut out for a Wyatt Extended Mag and you will need to use an M5 BDL floor plate to accommodate. If DBM, I would suggest Hawkins Hunter with Hunter DBM. If you do it in the Hawkins Hunter, you can go long action and purchase a Hawkins Hunter Magazine spacer kit. This will allow feeding a Short Action Cartridge in a Long Action without problems. Just some stuff to consider when going Custom.

I will also add, you need to consider, when using Custom the mag type you want to use, BDL or DBM. In either one, you must order the action according to the type you pick. If BDL hinged floor plate, then make sure the action is cut out for a Wyatt Extended Mag and you will need to use an M5 BDL floor plate to accommodate. If DBM, I would suggest Hawkins Hunter with Hunter DBM. If you do it in the Hawkins Hunter, you can go long action and purchase a Hawkins Hunter Magazine spacer kit. This will allow feeding a Short Action Cartridge in a Long Action without problems. Just some stuff to consider when going Custom.
Is there a reason to go with an extended mag/LA for a 6 CM?

If you're leaning towards custom, don't overlook the Seekins PH2 as an alternative unless you truly have your heart set on a different stock/chassis.

Seekins is legit and an excellent alternative to a custom rifle at a much more attractive price.
Agreed. That's why it's on the list. It would be the easy button for sure.

All,

I have a hankering for a 6mm caliber rifle as I have never had that niche filled in my fleet. I recently inherited a Ruger No.1 chambered in 6mm Rem from my late father. It was one of his favorite rifles out of many. I'm undecided whether to use this rifle or sell and get another, more modern 6mm. Of course, it has the older, slower twist of yesteryear.

I love Tikkas, so the off the shelf .243 is enticing as it would get me shooting somewhat in the cheaper price range. As would a 6mm ARC AR upper.

I really like the stats of the 6mm CM. It's flat out a laser…but, the .243 has similar ballistics with a fast twist.

The 6mm ARC doesn't get me that excited when paired next to the 6 CM.

Intended purpose: Hunting rifle, but plan to shoot steel for hunting proficiency.

I'm an avid hand loader, so handloads will be used regardless of what rifle is finally chosen. I'm NOT super excited about having to neck up/down brass or fire form AI brass. I'm looking for a cartridge that I can buy brass off the shelf.

I'd love to hear all your input. Thanks in advance!
APR build in 6mm CM

I agree with Vince and Jon to rebarrel the #1. That is if you reload. If your buying ammo then rebarrel to a creed. But a 20" on a #1? Maybe just go full custom.
And keep the Heirloom. What ever you do Have Fun Deciding. 😉

Is there a reason to go with an extended mag/LA for a 6 CM?
It is just a way to keep from being mag limited on COAL. When it comes to the 6.5 PRC, I would definitely build it on a LA, the other reason doing a LA would be to use multiple barrels on one action. You could run a 6 Creed, 6.5-284 Norma, 270 Win, 30-06, etc with the same bolt face and if you purchased additional mag bolt face, then you could run anything you wanted in one rifle, just purchase additional barrels. If you are not concerned with adding more for one receiver, then sticking to a SA would be fine. I was just throwing out options.

Vince hit the nail on the head imo. Put a barrel your dad's rifle and keep it.
Put a BRUX , 1-7.5 or, 1-8 Twist, Medium Hvy Sporter, 25-26 inch, 6 MM Barrel on It and Chamber It,. FOR,.. 6 XC ! ( Better Barrel Life / Longer Neck, than, the 6 Creed ) Uses 3-4 grains LESS Powder at only,. 100 FPS Less Velocity and around, 500 Shots, EXTRA, over Most, "Hot", 6 MM's !
Do the Forend Mod's as, Vince Said !
The 6 XC HAS Won, MANY 1,000 Yd Championships ( A Very Accurate, Cart ).
My Bolt Act., 6 XC, shoot's, "BugHoles" in the .2's to .3's with, 80 to 108 grain, Bullets with, a 24" Med Hvy, Sporter bbl., in 1-7.5 Twist.

Last edited:
I am gathering parts right now for a custom 6 CM. I was hell bent for the 6 PRC but just decided I had enough barrel burners.