Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Continue using my father’s old Ruger No 1 in 6mm REM

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Full custom in 6mm CM

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 15.9%

• Total voters
I have two 6 creeds, one in a seekins and one built by Wayne at oregunsmithing. The seekins is a fantastic shooter but I prefer custom gun. It's on a terminus action, 1-7.75 benchmark barrel finished off with one of their in house thumbhole stocks.

I have the 6 ARC in bolt and gas guns, 6 Creed in (LR308 / AR10) and a 6GT in bolt and (LR308/AR10) platforms. 6GT super flat shooting and easier on the barrels than the 6 Creed.

I've decided the 6mm REM will stay. As will the 220 Swift (another of my dad's favorites) and the 375H&H mag (one of my favorites). All the other No. 1s will go, however. I still haven't decided on which new/modern 6mm yet. I love all the suggestions! Keep them coming!

What's wrong with the 6mm Remingchester? I've shot this thing for years. I'd say it has a 1:9 twist since it
s labeled 6mm and not .244. It will stabilize 100 grainers well. It is quite a bit bigger case than the 6 creedmoor which is a 250 savage case, an almost .22-250 improved necked up. I always shot 47 grains of H4831 with 100 grain whatevers. Still don't really like 6mm's on deer, I know it can be done, just seems to me a 100 grain .25 kills way better than a 100 grain .24. Before anyone goes off, I know it doesn't make much sense but it's my observation. But hey, use this one AND get a custom built in 6 Creed also.

Well I didn't know you were interested in selling a bunch of No 1's. They all suck. I might be able to help you rid yourself of these abominations.

Honestly if those were dad's rifles, you'd never get them away from me.

I don't see a downside to playing with the 243 and shooting out the tikka barrel somewhat and then putting a custom tube on. Could go to creed or 243 AI. Lots of aftermarket for the tikka, great action to start with but also well priced and ready to jam from the box.

I shot the old and great... "6mm Remington" for many, many years and loved it, then I jumped into the .240 Wby Mag I found no fault with it at all. At some point, I decided I wanted to pick up a little more barrel life and use less powder. I ran into G. David. Tubbs in Raton NM one year on the range. He gave me a hip pocket class on his 6XC... To shorten the story, I built (re-barreled) a walking Deer & Varmnit hunting rifle from a Weatherby Mark V 22-250 Varmintmaster 26" inch, I also stayed with a 26" inch barrel, and it's been my go-to 6mm from that day on. Just my 0.2 Cheers

6XC Varmintmaster with .22-250 Mk take barrel 028.jpg
6XC Varmintmaster .22-250 re barrel 023.jpg

I voted 6ARC AR upper, but I'd also keep the Ruger and use it if longer shots at game were expected. I have a CMMG 20' 6ARC and it's so fun to shoot I'm concerned over another ammo shortage lol. If 300 yards and in deer hunting and targets as far as you want to shoot are the main uses, 6ARC (260 shots per lb of H4895) gets my vote.

What's wrong with the 6mm Remingchester?
There's nothing wrong with this cartridge. However, I do like the features of the modern cartridges.
1. They shoot factory ammo very well.
2. Their cases are better/more efficiently designed.
3. Depending on what you get, you can find ammo and components on the shelf at the LGS…for now anyways…
4. I like the heavy for caliber options and a fast twist with some of the modern day options. I certainly could build a new 6mm REM with a longer throat and faster twist to take advantage of the new, heavy for caliber trend, but you run into availability issues when brass and ammo is concerned.

Well I didn't know you were interested in selling a bunch of No 1's. They all suck. I might be able to help you rid yourself of these abominations.

Honestly if those were dad's rifles, you'd never get them away from me.
I grew up shooting Ruger No. 1s. They're not my favorite honestly. I know others like them way more than I. So, I don't mind moving them along to others that would like to use collect and/or use them.

Why not take that money and reinvest into firearms that meet my needs and wants?

There's nothing wrong with this cartridge. However, I do like the features of the modern cartridges.
1. They shoot factory ammo very well.
2. Their cases are better/more efficiently designed.
3. Depending on what you get, you can find ammo and components on the shelf at the LGS…for now anyways…
4. I like the heavy for caliber options and a fast twist with some of the modern day options. I certainly could build a new 6mm REM with a longer throat and faster twist to take advantage of the new, heavy for caliber trend, but you run into availability issues when brass and ammo is concerned.

I grew up shooting Ruger No. 1s. They're not my favorite honestly. I know others like them way more than I. So, I don't mind moving them along to others that would like to use collect and/or use them.

Why not take that money and reinvest into firearms that meet my needs and wants?
6mm Rem is a very modern cartridge, very little stretch, throw a 7 to 7.5 twist and shoot any bullet you want but faster than a Creed. Hey I love the creeds, got several, the best thing about them is availability of brass. I use Starline which is a dirty word around here but I'm a varmint shooter and I like at the very minimum 500 cases loaded and ready to go. The starline are giving me over 5 loads now with zero complaints. As for the Number 1's, they're yours, do what you like. To be honest they are a bit fussier than a bolt rifle. I'm just a sentimental, mostly mental, old dude that loves the hand me down toys. They'll go to the kids and grandkids when I leave this mortal coil. I do not fault you for selling them and getting something else. Heck, what you got? I could be interested.