500 S&W Magnum

Glad to hear the blue bullets work well, my stash was 335 rainiers... probably a decade old stash as we slowed our roll on consumption. At blue bullet prices, it might be time to dust it off and go do some more 500 plinking.

I have a 6" Smith .500 that shoots great with an UltraDot. Killed lots of deer & groundhogs with it. Also have a Taurus Raging Bull .550 with a 2-6 Bushnell Elite on it. Both shoot great. Killed a 8' brown bear at 129 with a 375X with the Taurus.
Both are very heavy. When I go on any kind of dangerous game hunts I take my FA .475 Linebaugh that I killed a 5000# rhino with. A much lighter gun & pretty close to .500 power (at least for the rhino) and extremely accurate.

I love BIG things. Saw Taurus Ragin' Judge. 45LC, .410 3 inch shotshell and a 454Casul. Holds six rounds. It was on "Better Call Saul." There was a hispanic dude, Tuco.

I JUST had to have one!
Tuco Raging Judge.jpg

Then I also saw a 500 S&W Mag and fell in love with it as well.

So, off to a local gun show. A dealer had both guns for sale at half price! He said both came from one seller. Only had one shot on each! The guy shot both and decided he had no interest in them ever again.

Couldn't decide which one and bought them both.

Last edited:
I love BIG things. Saw Taurus Ragin' Judge. 45LC, .410 3 inch shotshell and a 454Casul. Holds six rounds. It was on "Better Call Saul." There was a hispanic dude, Tuco.

I JUST had to have one! View attachment 591020

Then I also saw a 500 S&W Mag and fell in love with it as well.

So, off to a local gun show. A dealer had both guns for sale at half price! He said both came from one seller. Only had one shot on each! The guy shot both and decided he had no interest in them ever again.

Couldn't decide which one and bought them both.
Addaboy!!!!

The good news about the 500 SW is once you have a relatively small supply of components for reloading, you are good to go for a life time. There are a few people that will shoot large volumes, but they are rare. After I shoot 10 rounds, I usually don't want to shoot any more. It is a novelty gun IMO. It is always fun to watch reactions at the range where most people are shooting 9mm. When the 500 SW touches off a shot, there is no mistaking it for the commonly used handguns.

Great shooting! I load 350 grain bullets with Lil Gun and LPM primers.
I get a similar response when I "light off" the 338 Lapua. That's why I ask for a lane away from everyone else.

Hopefully no leading? Polymer coating base liquid coating.

"We at The Blue Bullets make cost effective bullets for anyone who wants to reload and enjoy the Shooting Sports. Our bullets are specially designed for competitive shooters who need an accurate bullet with no barrel leading, no smoke, and at a price comparable to a non-coated lead bullet."

Here is the bullets I am using. About 22cents each.

I'm pushing cast (plain ole wheel weights) to 1500 in my 460, 1800 in my 45-70 …..with no leading. Gas checks will help a lot……powder coating is another barrel saver! memtb