My 338 Sherman Shortmag

So I'm guessing I'll have to wait until I form my ADG brass to see what bushing size to use. But it looks like you guys are close on size anyway.

To help some of our reloading and shooting enthusiast that are debating on their next build, I thought I would post some published load data on other 338s and compare it to the 338SS. I am currently shooting a 250 Berger Elite with 61.3gr of Varget and it's cruising at 2860'
Needless to say that I remain 100% satisfied on this little powerhouse! I believe the numbers speak volumes. ( using W760 at max pressure I can get 3000'+)
Happy holidays and cheers to all!

Attachments

• B28FD270-2B4E-479F-BE44-BF6EE4F08414.png
    B28FD270-2B4E-479F-BE44-BF6EE4F08414.png
    99.2 KB · Views: 276
  • DEF5B4FF-B9AE-4AC8-9160-7F539EC6A56A.png
    DEF5B4FF-B9AE-4AC8-9160-7F539EC6A56A.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 97E2459C-89B7-4AFC-8861-1C09876F1E89.png
    97E2459C-89B7-4AFC-8861-1C09876F1E89.png
    98 KB · Views: 288
That's awesome thank you for the info. I have a ton of Varget now along with 250 Berger. Those numbers are very impressive!!!! I should be shooting mine sometime in Feb.

Hey gents well the parts and pieces keep rolling in and now I have a few questions what are you all using for bushings I have a dummy loaded up looks like 362 to 363 on some brass that was donated to me. Also what's your measurement base to shoulder after resizing? And what is your brass trim length.
I have to say this little fella sure looks impressive.
Thanks in adavance for the info.

I'm really interested in this 338 ss. I had decided to go 7ss but this really has me thinking about changing direction. I have a LPA razor ti short mag to build from and need to get a barrel. Maybe a Bart 3b fluted at 24in with a good brake. Not sure if shooting for a 7.5 to 8lb rifle would be brutal with recoil. This would be a backpack elk rifle. Any thoughts or advice? What smiths have this reamer?

I'm really interested in this 338 ss. I had decided to go 7ss but this really has me thinking about changing direction. I have a LPA razor ti short mag to build from and need to get a barrel. Maybe a Bart 3b fluted at 24in with a good brake. Not sure if shooting for a 7.5 to 8lb rifle would be brutal with recoil. This would be a backpack elk rifle. Any thoughts or advice? What smiths have this reamer?

I know Straight Jacket Armory out of Evanston,WY does they did my 338 SS

I think that's a great choice but I would install a good brake! Doc has one on his that his 8 year old shoots. The 338 SS is an absolute hammer. I am adding head stamped brass for it as well.
I can rent a reamer for $50 to your smirh or I have several good choices.

Hi Rich we spoke today, this is James. We spoke about the 7ss brass and dies I ordered last night. I know we have a little time before the dies are in so i will check into the barrel and such over the weekend. I've got a Hawkins 3 port brake, wonder if that would be okay in the .875 diameter? I guess for now the SS brass you have is just necked up to 338 with a pass through the die?

Hi Rich we spoke today, this is James. We spoke about the 7ss brass and dies I ordered last night. I know we have a little time before the dies are in so i will check into the barrel and such over the weekend. I've got a Hawkins 3 port brake, wonder if that would be okay in the .875 diameter? I guess for now the SS brass you have is just necked up to 338 with a pass through the die?
Oh hi James. I wondered if that was you.
The 7ss necks up easily to 338. I would check with your smith and the brake manufacturer for the correct set up. A 3 port would help, a 4 port would help more.:D

My smoke pole is a 3B cut at 26". I don't know why you're waiting you need to build yours bigngreen!