My 338 Sherman Shortmag

I saw the 700 xrii or whatever- is it a short or long action?

I have a 700LH SA std bolt face that has been trued, bedded in a McM hunter stock, & a switch lug installed with a tube in .260 regular.

I'm now wondering if I should just get a magnum bolt face & have another tube spun in .338 since there's already a switch lug on it.

Hence the question- which action? Which length?

I'm not familiar with a SAUM length action like some of the other manufacturers so I was attempting to confirm if you indeed have a SA.

I saw the 700 xrii or whatever- is it a short or long action?

I have a 700LH SA std bolt face that has been trued, bedded in a McM hunter stock, & a switch lug installed with a tube in .260 regular.

I'm now wondering if I should just get a magnum bolt face & have another tube spun in .338 since there's already a switch lug on it.

Hence the question- which action? Which length?

I'm not familiar with a SAUM length action like some of the other manufacturers so I was attempting to confirm if you indeed have a SA.

It started as a short action 300wsm, magnum bolt face.

I shot mine without a brake at first and didn't find it bad at all.

Have you had a chance to run some ADG brass yet with the Berger 250's? Very interested in doing a standard chamber like yours to run AICS magazines. Hoping for 2800fps with this combo out of a 26" carbon proof.

I realized I left it off my last comment.....I was planning on building a 6.5 Sherman short, until I saw this.....:rolleyes:. In all reality the 6.5 would probably kill anything I was to hunt, and be cheaper to shoot all around.....but the 338 seems to really get the max out of a short action....

Have you had a chance to run some ADG brass yet with the Berger 250's? Very interested in doing a standard chamber like yours to run AICS magazines. Hoping for 2800fps with this combo out of a 26" carbon proof.

No, not yet. Me being in Canada has caused some delays until I could figure out how to legally import it. That's figured out now so I will have it soon and can't wait to test it out. I'm sure that 2800 is definitely doable.

No, not yet. Me being in Canada has caused some delays until I could figure out how to legally import it. That's figured out now so I will have it soon and can't wait to test it out. I'm sure that 2800 is definitely doable.

I am pretty sure Rich has a Canadian importer now, Bighorn I think, on his website. Might be worth checking into

Hey gents well the parts and pieces keep rolling in and now I have a few questions what are you all using for bushings I have a dummy loaded up looks like 362 to 363 on some brass that was donated to me. Also what's your measurement base to shoulder after resizing? And what is your brass trim length.
I have to say this little fella sure looks impressive.
Thanks in adavance for the info.

Sorry forgot to respond. I use a .362 bushing, and trim to 1.930, stay below 1.935. I don't have base to shoulder measurement handy right now but it would be 2-3 thou less than the unsized brass I sent you. That's how far I aimed to push the shoulder back when resizing. If the sized brass I sent you is more than that I may have accidentally used a different shell holder when I sized them.

Probably splitting hairs on this one but I just can't figure out which way to go in barrel options for a shorter barreled rifle in this cartridge. Current parts I have are short action Lone Peak Razor ti, Manners Carbon T (no inlet still at Manners) so I can go either way. I wanted a Proof but after looking at the weight at 3lb 6oz I'm wondering if I can use steel 5 or 6 or maybe sendero and flute it and get around the same weight at 23 or 24in? I plan to use a brake but don't like the way they look turned down to like a #5 plus not sure if it would be of much benefit anyway at that diameter. That would be part of the reason I've looked at getting a carbon along with weight. Not looking to go super light but my goal is a handier timber/ general Elk hunting rifle. 500 to 600 yards would be a pretty far poke for me. Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.