My 338 Sherman Shortmag

Look at Carbon six barrels. Couple gun builders in Canada swear by them. They have a weight calculator on the site as well.
Never used one, never used any of the carbon barrels yet actually. It would be nice to hear some positive reviews of any of the other carbon barrels besides Proof, they get a lot. I'm not opposed to spending the extra money for one but ultimately if I'm going to spend the money I want the best bang for my buck.

I plan to use a brake but don't like the way they look turned down to like a #5 plus not sure if it would be of much benefit anyway at that diameter.
A brake in the diameter to fit a #5 would still be plenty effective, if you chose the right brake. Check out this video on the Terminator T1, which is actually the diameter of a #4, on a 300 RUM. Less recoil than a 7mm-08, close to a .243

Just got home Kevin. Looks like my COAL for the Bulldozer is 3.125", 250 Berger is 3.03", 285 ELDM is 2.930"
Hope that helps.

I finally got my parts together for my build, and will be sending off to my smith as soon as I get a reamer & throater. The attached pics are of my mockup with a 240 Bulldozer, seated at 3.235" COAL. 6.5 SS w/147 Eldm on left & 300 Win Mag w/208 Amax right. I noticed on the Sherman Load Data page that this setup is listed at 3.215" with the long throat, which is .100" longer than the standard throat if I'm correct. Wondering if I need to seat this in further or throat out to .120"? What's your thoughts on this? I've never custom throated a chamber for a particular bullet before, as I plan with this setup running the 240 Bulldozer. Thanks Kevin

Attachments

• 5861.jpeg
    5861.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 437
  • 5862.jpeg
    5862.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 389
Quick update. Just got off the phone with George from Badlands Precsion. He mentioned that my 240 is seated too deep for optimum. Here's a pic with the 240 seated out for maximum case capacity 3.330 COAL.

Attachments

• 6173.jpeg
    6173.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 383
  • 6172.jpeg
    6172.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 415
Just got home Kevin. Looks like my COAL for the Bulldozer is 3.125", 250 Berger is 3.03", 285 ELDM is 2.930"
Hope that helps.

I've got the 240 Bulldozers & 285 Hornadys in mockups but not the 250 Bergers or the 265 Accubonds as yet for comparisons. Wondering if anyone would have any of the measurements available for over all length, bearing surface, & base to ogive. Would like to do comparative measures before throating. Got the reamer & goodies from Rich on Wednesday. Thank you very much sir! John, my smith is awesome to work with & is excited to see this build come together. Thanks guys in advance for any help.
Kevin

P.S. for comparison I'm seating the 240 Bulldozer @ 3.300" coal and 2.315" btog.
285 Eldm @ 3.130" coal and 2.315" btog.
20190201_072221.jpg

Cant wait too see that!
My experience is that a bullet fired at full velocity will expand better at the same impact velocity at long range than one fired point blank with a reduced load!
That's because the rpm of the bullet is reduced when you reduce the velocity. It also gives you an erroneous effect on a gelatin block.

Took a while but I got some ADG SS brass in my hands (thanks ramrod79). Before loading some up for fireforming I took a bit of time making sure there was in fact no prep needed, other than a simple neck up. Brass chambered easy, length is good, and neck thickness is good. All I did was chamfer the mouth in and out and loaded a mild load. You can see in the pic the difference of a fully formed piece of brass and the ADG prior to fireforming. Looking forward to getting back to load development with GREAT brass that skipped a bunch of the previous prep that I had to do.

adg.jpg

Took a while but I got some ADG SS brass in my hands (thanks ramrod79). Before loading some up for fireforming I took a bit of time making sure there was in fact no prep needed, other than a simple neck up. Brass chambered easy, length is good, and neck thickness is good. All I did was chamfer the mouth in and out and loaded a mild load. You can see in the pic the difference of a fully formed piece of brass and the ADG prior to fireforming. Looking forward to getting back to load development with GREAT brass that skipped a bunch of the previous prep that I had to do.

View attachment 126689
NICE!! So glad you have some good brass. Keep us informed.