My 338 Sherman Shortmag

73D73464-FC1D-4F28-85F7-D1B8CCBE4810.jpeg
Hey Doc and Aaron I'm gonna take the plunge on a 338SS
Here is a pic of the barreled action so now I need some input as one of you uses a 10 twist the other a 9.3. I was thinking a 9.5 finished at 24 or 25 but not sure if I should use a #4 non fluted like attachment or #5 fluted I also wonder about bottom metal do I need to use a Wyatt's if I go BDL or should I use an HS bottom metal with clip? I'm almost 100 % going with game scout again not that it matters bottom metal is bottom metal.
I'm trying to keep gun with scope around the 8-8.5 lb ish mark and should be very do able as the action is only 27 Oz
I will be using a 3 port Millar break like I have on my 6.5 Sherman now

Decisions decisions.... gotta love it!
Honestly, most of your questions are gonna boil down to your personal preference. As for the twist, I've had great success with the 9.3 and I believe Rich and Aaron both use a 10 twist with equally great results. So it's your choice. I'm excited to know someone else is joining this 338 adventure. Oh, and as far as muzzle brakes, I can tell you that my Terminator T3 definitely tames this beast.

As built, my rifle weighs 9.7lbs w/o the magazine. I used a Leupold 20MOA rail and UTG rings and a Zeiss 3.5-15 HD5(sent to Kenton Industries and had MOA turrets installed)
Attached is a pic of the magazine from Mountain Tactical and there's plenty of room for longer pills

Thanks for weighing it. Just to confirm the 9.7 lbs is including scope? If so that should put the rifle only around 8 lbs, which is exactly what I'm hoping for! Mag length looks great for the 338 SS in the Tikka.

View attachment 109642 Hey Doc and Aaron I'm gonna take the plunge on a 338SS
Here is a pic of the barreled action so now I need some input as one of you uses a 10 twist the other a 9.3. I was thinking a 9.5 finished at 24 or 25 but not sure if I should use a #4 non fluted like attachment or #5 fluted I also wonder about bottom metal do I need to use a Wyatt's if I go BDL or should I use an HS bottom metal with clip? I'm almost 100 % going with game scout again not that it matters bottom metal is bottom metal.
I'm trying to keep gun with scope around the 8-8.5 lb ish mark and should be very do able as the action is only 27 Oz
I will be using a 3 port Millar break like I have on my 6.5 Sherman now

For bottom metal, and action length, you'll need to decide on if you are going to do the standard reamer like me with a max coal of 2.970 with the 250 berger, or throated like Doc's with a longer coal.

Yea that's why I was asking I would like the longer throat and I will be using 250 Berger's but still use a short action. I Was wondering if I need to go with a detch mag like yours or atlas. I know Doc uses a tikka so he gets longer coal but I was hoping to be able to get over 3. I did a custom 260 with Wyatt's and I was a hair over 3 for coal I think it was like 3.07 ish to 3.10 but that was along time ago and cannot remember.

I'm Gina do a #5 fluted finished at 25 then my break.
Builder mentioned a wildcat lightweight hunter Tac with cheek riser 22 oz
I may go that way. I guess I should talk with Rich thou for throating and coal.

Rich can deifinitely guide you on the throating recommendations and Coal. My final OAL with the 250 Berger's is 3.040" which is .020 off the lands.

I have a Tikka 270wsm and a Tikka 270win. Planning on an Alaskan moose hunt in 2020. I'm thinking of swapping bolts and putting one of these together for that hunt. Seems like this or possibly a .338-300wsm would be the best use of the tikka action for a 338. Only reason I really want a 338 is for a possible encounter with a bear.

I would use your 270wsm and convert it to a 338 Sherman Short or your 270 and turn it into a 338 Sherman.(This does would not require bolt swap) If you go with the Sherman Short then order an after market bolt stop and you're done.
I love the Varget load in my 338SS so I would lean that way, personally.

I can just take the bolt out of one tikka and put it in the other couldn't I? Then I would have a magnum bolt face on the long action and a regular bolt face on the short action. I would just do a 338 Sherman but the Tikka long action is so short I doubt it would work very well for the heavy bullets. That's why I was looking at a short mag on a Tikka long action.

I will build something small on the other Tikka just for prairie dogs and cheep target practice.

I can just take the bolt out of one tikka and put it in the other couldn't I? Then I would have a magnum bolt face on the long action and a regular bolt face on the short action. I would just do a 338 Sherman but the Tikka long action is so short I doubt it would work very well for the heavy bullets. That's why I was looking at a short mag on a Tikka long action.

I will build something small on the other Tikka just for prairie dogs and cheep target practice.
Getting a Tikka mag bolt will cost as much as finding a used tikka in a Magnum caliber. I suggest finding a used 300win or 7mag, that way you already have the long bolt stop and long mag. I've got a 270 wsm that may get same treatment.