My 338 Sherman Shortmag

Yea that's why I was asking I would like the longer throat and I will be using 250 Berger's but still use a short action. I Was wondering if I need to go with a detch mag like yours or atlas. I know Doc uses a tikka so he gets longer coal but I was hoping to be able to get over 3. I did a custom 260 with Wyatt's and I was a hair over 3 for coal I think it was like 3.07 ish to 3.10 but that was along time ago and cannot remember.

I'm Gina do a #5 fluted finished at 25 then my break.
Builder mentioned a wildcat lightweight hunter Tac with cheek riser 22 oz
I may go that way. I guess I should talk with Rich thou for throating and coal.
If you start with a Winchester in a wsm config, they already allow seating over 3.1", as does a kimber, and Montana Rifle Co action. All three available in CRF as well.

I agree with highdrum for anyone who doesn't already have an existing "donor" rifle to build from. In either the long action magnum or the short action magnum, you will either have to modify the magazine or buy an after market one to allow for the COAL.

Getting a Tikka mag bolt will cost as much as finding a used tikka in a Magnum caliber. I suggest finding a used 300win or 7mag, that way you already have the long bolt stop and long mag. I've got a 270 wsm that may get same treatment.

Again I have a 270 wsm and a 270 win. I am going to swap the bolts. That way the long action has a mag bolt face and the short action a standard bolt face. Only thing I didn't mention I have is a couple of the long action mags from MT so I can load short mags as long as needed in a Tikka. Again why would I buy another rifle when swapping bolts takes a few seconds? Also I would like a smaller caliber just for plinking, prairie dogs, etc that is easy and cheap to shoot. I don't really need a long action with a standard bolt face for a plinking rifle. The standard bolt face with the short action should work just fine for that. Unless you can't swap bolts? I haven't tried it yet and I'm being lazy right now but I don't see why it wouldn't work?

Regards, Branden

You'll find a Tikka bolt will cost nearly as much as a used Tikka rifle is what I'm saying. Your wsm tikka is a good Sherman short platform to build from with a bolt stop mod and la Magnum magazine, can seat for optimum oal.

Yea I guess I could go with a Rem WSM doner action instead of my builders house action that would get me the coal I need then. The action they offer with a Wyatt box will only get me 2.997. I've used Rem actions for everything else why not this one. I defiantly don't want to go long action tho.
Thanks I never thought of the WSM action wAy just had there custom on the brain.

You'll find a Tikka bolt will cost nearly as much as a used Tikka rifle is what I'm saying. Your wsm tikka is a good Sherman short platform to build from with a bolt stop mod and la Magnum magazine, can seat for optimum oal.

Maybe I'm just confused. Maybe we are saying the same thing? But again why would I need a bolt stop mod? Why would I need to buy a bolt?

I have a Tikka long action and a Tikka short action. I have a mag bolt and a standard bolt. It seems like there are zero bolt stop mods required for me to build a 338ss on the Tikka long action?

So again am I missing something? Why would I spend the money to buy a different bolt stop or take a dremal to an existing one when I already have a a long action Tikka to use?

@dirtytough if you want to set up for longer oal, you'll need a longer mag and extended stop on the wsm action. If you want to covert the 270 win over you'll need a mag faced bolt and la Magnum magazine. I don't think you can just put the wsm bolt into the 270 win rifle and utilize the wsm magazine and go forth. Machining tolerances are good with tikka but bolts are matched to the action, I could be wrong. Then again I might have the complete wrong notion of what you're trying to do.

@dirtytough if you want to set up for longer oal, you'll need a longer mag and extended stop on the wsm action. If you want to covert the 270 win over you'll need a mag faced bolt and la Magnum magazine. I don't think you can just put the wsm bolt into the 270 win rifle and utilize the wsm magazine and go forth. Machining tolerances are good with tikka but bolts are matched to the action, I could be wrong. Then again I might have the complete wrong notion of what you're trying to do.

That's what I plan to do is swap the bolts. I have a couple of the long action MT magazines that allow you to use a WSM sized case and load it as long as a factory long action magazine does. Also I know the factory 7mm/300 win magazines are tight with a WSM case. Not sure if they are tight with the SAUM family. I didn't know Tikka went through all their bolts and actions and found the best fits. If that is the case then I can swap bolt stops which will take a little longer then swapping bolts. But it will achieve the same thing.

Any thoughts on if the Tikka T3x stock would fit a standard #4 contour without significant mods? I am leaning towards a prefit barrel from McGowan or Criterion if it wouldn't require any fitting. I'm not sure if the barrel nut would fit either. Anyone tried this?

As built, my rifle weighs 9.7lbs w/o the magazine. I used a Leupold 20MOA rail and UTG rings and a Zeiss 3.5-15 HD5(sent to Kenton Industries and had MOA turrets installed)
Attached is a pic of the magazine from Mountain Tactical and there's plenty of room for longer pills
What's the internal mag length Doc.
Rich can deifinitely guide you on the throating recommendations and Coal. My final OAL with the 250 Berger's is 3.040" which is .020 off the lands.
Hey Doc, I assume you're using the bushing dies for sizing. What size bushing are you using with the ADG brass, & are you turning the necks at all?

I'm using a .362 bushing, but with my prepped brass with a neck wall thickness of .013. I'm not sure what the neck wall thickness of the ADG brass is after necking up to 338. Quote from Rich:

"Your chamber neck size is .368". You want a minimum of .003" clearance and a max of .005". Ex: for .004" clearance. Bullet size .338 + neck wall thickness of .013"x2 equals .026
.338 + 026 is .364" so you would use a .362" busing for .002" fit and .004" clearance"

Recent Posts