Lite weight 30-06

The Tikka superlite is very accurate, reasonably priced and easy to carry but is not on my fun gun list

I also agree with 066wally!
After 4 trips to Zimbabwe for plains game and Leopard, I would take a rifle you are very very familiar with. Record Book quality targets of opportunity seem to happen very quickly when spotted and you need to be very confident on longer shots I.E. 500 yards plus if necessary with a 3006 and Partitions, A-frame ect. I personally use a Ruger #1 with a 26" brl. with an old 77 tang model as backup, lite, easy to carry and basic. I would also use a Rem 700, Weatherby, Savage whatever and not worry about weight that much. Very Good Glass around 4x15 would be more important to me. My sable was at 400m + with a lot of walking over 15 days to get close enough for a good one and I should have used a 338 (very tough hardy animal). Most all my other animals were shot less than 200 yard walk from the 4 wheeler. Carrying with a padded sling was not a problem, the high step walking through the bush was the taxing part. Shot placement, breath control and improvised support was key; I hate using wobbly shooting sticks but are a necessity. Buy a "Bog-pod" (if you haven't already) to take with you and practice standing on all kinds of uneven weird sand bags, rocks and stuff. I wish you the very best of luck on your hunt !!!, I can't wait to go back I'm addicted and now I want an Eland. Have a great day!
P.S. I Had 1 hunt in South Africa stayed in a lodge like a resort on a ranch all game ride up shoot take pics repeat felt like a caned hunt not for me . I would rather stay out in the bush in a semi primitive hut, food cooked on the camp fire and really hunt no fences to be seen in a long days drive.
I've got primos tripod sticks. What is so good about bog pod that being bi they don't wobble?

ml williford:
Use what ever you are comfortable with it should be fine as long as it lets you pan as necessary and gives you good options in height. I am just not familiar with that brand. I have had good luck with Bog pod since they first hit the market years ago when all the rest were just 2 or 3 flimsy poles that left a V for the rifle. I guess I am just spoiled and convinced after multiple safari's that the Ph's were so impressed with them. I seem to have had at least 4 that stayed on the dark continent as gifts, plus inexpensive hunting and skinning knives with sharpening stones for the Skinner's and Trackers. Those guys kill knives prepping your trophies using rocks to sharpen them. Again good luck and have a great hunt!

ml williford:
Use what ever you are comfortable with it should be fine as long as it lets you pan as necessary and gives you good options in height. I am just not familiar with that brand. I have had good luck with Bog pod since they first hit the market years ago when all the rest were just 2 or 3 flimsy poles that left a V for the rifle. I guess I am just spoiled and convinced after multiple safari's that the Ph's were so impressed with them. I seem to have had at least 4 that stayed on the dark continent as gifts, plus inexpensive hunting and skinning knives with sharpening stones for the Skinner's and Trackers. Those guys kill knives prepping your trophies using rocks to sharpen them. Again good luck and have a great hunt!
Thank you I was just curious if I was missing something. As you I've never used your brand and have always used Primos. Thanks for the tip about leaving them as gifts and knives to skinner. Never thought about that. So much to know what to take and trying to keep weight down. I've never flown with guns so that will be a BIG DEAL. Always driven. Your tips really help.

that is a good looking 30-06 on page one...remington 700 Ti...might be a good option--looks to me you can pop a scope on it and go. I would also say in 90% of africa lugging around a 12 lb rifle is not an issue--you usually drive to the area, then walk and stalk--heck you might even have a gun bearer in some camps. I have carried a 11.5 lb 375 ultra on most of my trips and a double rifle that is 11 lbs. I took a 30-06 one time and it worked perfect..one shot kills on Gemsbok, impala, blue wildebeest,red heartbeast...use a tough bullet and get use to shooting off sticks..on knives. I took them No22 scalpel blades(100 pack)with about 5 handles--cost $30 and better than any knife you will bring them.

ml williford:
Flying with rifles overseas was on an eye opener and I was lucky enough to have went with my father that was educated from prior trips. Make double that the Air line knows you have firearms, lets you take them with ammo and get their rules. Delta and South African Air were no problem. So here is a list that I can remember as best I can of what was done. 1) I went to customs at airport by my house and filled out small forms about cc card size folded that were customs releases of property already owned hand printed, that listed serial # and item description for scopes, rifle, bino's, camera, laptop ect. and had these inspected and forms stamped by officer in person. This was easy as my airport had a customs office in it but average people had strange looks about the rifle cases. Made several copies same size and then several full page scans of all that would fit. I had them in wallet, passport book, and each piece of luggage, rifle case including carry on plus extras if the new country's people wanted a copy and some did. 2) Bought 30cal. ammo cans U.S. military surplus and welded a padlock hasp to it to carry my custom ammo in reused factory paper 20 rnd. boxes, 40 for each rifle 80 total. The rifle's bolt wrapped in a new cleaning rag(making gun useless if stolen), an Otis round cleaning kit, cheap plastic bore guide, small Rem oil, a container with solvent (I used Birchwood Casey in thin can), shooting gloves ect to fill space, weight was unimportant. Then printed a large label of ammo breakdown and metal items that would show on x-ray and attached it with clear packing tape to the side like big easily read ups label, with a new master lock and 4 extra keys (screw the TSA. "they steal stuff") I have extra keys if my plane leaves before they are returned) 2 sets each for me and partner. I carried separate sets so they could be given to authorities as necessary and still have my spares plus flying partner had more just in case. I know this might seem like overkill but my father went over a dozen times with no problems 5 taking me now I am also hooked. 3) Now this is a little fuzzy but the travel agent, broker, outfitter not sure which had copy's of this info. that was faxed prior because customs on the other end had their rules and paperwork waiting upon arrival made things really smooth having copies they could compare to because they checked all the serial #'s on guns and some even counted ammo both in and out including used cases go figure.
4) Buy a very good fitted padded rifle case and put trigger locks on the rifles in them. I personally watched an airline worker in Africa throw one of my cases out the plane onto the ground below at least 30 feet, if not for dad I would probably still be there in jail I was livid. That new case cost over 400 bucks but worth every penny +, the rifle was not even affected sight in check was perfect case not so much. Also included in that case was a full size cleaning rod, brushes, jag, and patches. 5) Do not let the travel agent route you though the U.K.!!! Your cases will arrive empty locks intact saw it first hand with another hunter in Johannesburg right at customs. New York city is also a problem TSA. are really hard on hunters and and handle your stuff like junk. Use Atlanta or Dulles only!!! even if it cost more been there done that. 6) Keep all cash on your person or carry-on in hand. Travelers checks not guaranteed to work. Call all of your credit card companies personally and tell them you are traveling and give them your itinerary with all country's involved. Do not rely on your bank to do this!!! Copy down the free overseas phone numbers to call if you have a problem not listed on all cards and put in wallet and such. I had American express shut off my card after one less than $10.00 purchase in Joeberg airport and they had this info. One call cured this but still embarrassing and a hassle. 7) Expect customs to use your paperwork from item 1 above to be used reentering the country fairly smooth process. Also expect for the locks to be cut and taped up on your ammo cans when you get home TSA. has done this every time because of not using TSA. locks. Ammo and bolt was there but other small items missing, small price to pay for piece of mind. I now use dirty socks for space filler and gloves and cleaning kits in checked luggage on way home liquids stay in ammo can who is going to complain its carrying explosives after all. 8) It's Late!!! I know I just could not help myself adding some humor after the long post. I am willing to help and give you any knowledge and advice I can before you leave as you can not be to prepared. I have always went in June and July its their winter. And yes it does snow over there then gets quite warm also. Temps. between mid 30's to 85 or so. Also I went to the doctor had all my immunizations updated as he thought necessary copy carried with me and Malaria pills just can not be to safe. You know an ounce of prevention............. Have a great day and let me know. I will try to answer all if possible questions. P.S. I am not trying to upset anyone being off topic but you started the thread so I figure it's kosher. Chuck

ml williford: Also get a pocket shot placement book if you do not already have one. Well pay for itself on the first one that drops lights out. I do not care what anyone says those African animals are tough, I have seen a Zebra run well over 1/2 a mile with a frontal heart shot + 2 shoulder shots 1 each side to finally anchor it almost 2km from first shooting position, just trying to get bait. Ya it was dead but it did not know it. Ph. was also shocked how tough that old stallion was hustling me to catch up and pop it again. Just glad it wasn't rough cover to get lost in. The first was a 165 partition the second and third 180's out of a Rem 760. That 165 cored clear to the rump all 3 being mortal just saying. DSCN0602.JPG

Last edited:
ml williford:
Flying with rifles overseas was on an eye opener and I was lucky enough to have went with my father that was educated from prior trips. Make double that the Air line knows you have firearms, lets you take them with ammo and get their rules. Delta and South African Air were no problem. So here is a list that I can remember as best I can of what was done. 1) I went to customs at airport by my house and filled out small forms about cc card size folded that were customs releases of property already owned hand printed, that listed serial # and item description for scopes, rifle, bino's, camera, laptop ect. and had these inspected and forms stamped by officer in person. This was easy as my airport had a customs office in it but average people had strange looks about the rifle cases. Made several copies same size and then several full page scans of all that would fit. I had them in wallet, passport book, and each piece of luggage, rifle case including carry on plus extras if the new country's people wanted a copy and some did. 2) Bought 30cal. ammo cans U.S. military surplus and welded a padlock hasp to it to carry my custom ammo in reused factory paper 20 rnd. boxes, 40 for each rifle 80 total. The rifle's bolt wrapped in a new cleaning rag(making gun useless if stolen), an Otis round cleaning kit, cheap plastic bore guide, small Rem oil, a container with solvent (I used Birchwood Casey in thin can), shooting gloves ect to fill space, weight was unimportant. Then printed a large label of ammo breakdown and metal items that would show on x-ray and attached it with clear packing tape to the side like big easily read ups label, with a new master lock and 4 extra keys (screw the TSA. "they steal stuff") I have extra keys if my plane leaves before they are returned) 2 sets each for me and partner. I carried separate sets so they could be given to authorities as necessary and still have my spares plus flying partner had more just in case. I know this might seem like overkill but my father went over a dozen times with no problems 5 taking me now I am also hooked. 3) Now this is a little fuzzy but the travel agent, broker, outfitter not sure which had copy's of this info. that was faxed prior because customs on the other end had their rules and paperwork waiting upon arrival made things really smooth having copies they could compare to because they checked all the serial #'s on guns and some even counted ammo both in and out including used cases go figure.
4) Buy a very good fitted padded rifle case and put trigger locks on the rifles in them. I personally watched an airline worker in Africa throw one of my cases out the plane onto the ground below at least 30 feet, if not for dad I would probably still be there in jail I was livid. That new case cost over 400 bucks but worth every penny +, the rifle was not even affected sight in check was perfect case not so much. Also included in that case was a full size cleaning rod, brushes, jag, and patches. 5) Do not let the travel agent route you though the U.K.!!! Your cases will arrive empty locks intact saw it first hand with another hunter in Johannesburg right at customs. New York city is also a problem TSA. are really hard on hunters and and handle your stuff like junk. Use Atlanta or Dulles only!!! even if it cost more been there done that. 6) Keep all cash on your person or carry-on in hand. Travelers checks not guaranteed to work. Call all of your credit card companies personally and tell them you are traveling and give them your itinerary with all country's involved. Do not rely on your bank to do this!!! Copy down the free overseas phone numbers to call if you have a problem not listed on all cards and put in wallet and such. I had American express shut off my card after one less than $10.00 purchase in Joeberg airport and they had this info. One call cured this but still embarrassing and a hassle. 7) Expect customs to use your paperwork from item 1 above to be used reentering the country fairly smooth process. Also expect for the locks to be cut and taped up on your ammo cans when you get home TSA. has done this every time because of not using TSA. locks. Ammo and bolt was there but other small items missing, small price to pay for piece of mind. I now use dirty socks for space filler and gloves and cleaning kits in checked luggage on way home liquids stay in ammo can who is going to complain its carrying explosives after all. 8) It's Late!!! I know I just could not help myself adding some humor after the long post. I am willing to help and give you any knowledge and advice I can before you leave as you can not be to prepared. I have always went in June and July its their winter. And yes it does snow over there then gets quite warm also. Temps. between mid 30's to 85 or so. Also I went to the doctor had all my immunizations updated as he thought necessary copy carried with me and Malaria pills just can not be to safe. You know an ounce of prevention............. Have a great day and let me know. I will try to answer all if possible questions. P.S. I am not trying to upset anyone being off topic but you started the thread so I figure it's kosher. Chuck
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I'm kinda use to some of it. Been hunting in Mexico last 9 years. So I have a Pelican gun can and we are flying from Houston witch I live just outside of to Atlanta to Joeberger. I'll be touching base with off and on to ask questions since you offered.
Thanks

Sounds like you have good handle on most of it. Ya that's what they threw out the plane scratched it up good. I am also happy I may have helped you in any way those trips can be overwhelming and something always seems to be forgotten. I have never been to Mexico but have hunted hog and Javelina south and east of San-Antone. and would like to go for Aoudad in western Texas some time. live approx. 15 hours north of you in Kansas and am waiting for it to warm up just a little more to get to the range and test some new toys. Like before have a great and safe hunt Chuck

I don't think anyone has mentioned Sako Finnlight? I have one in 300 WSM that I use for hauling up and down the sheep and mtn goat hills. It is super light and accurate.

Going to Africa for the first time. Wanting a lite weight 30-06. Thought about a kimber but a lot of mixed reviews. I own a Remington 700 Sendaro but not a tote friendly gun. Ya'll have any advice on gun?
I have been to So. Africa 2 x with a 30 06 browning X bolt pro with Leo VX 5 HD 3 x 15 44mm 150gr Barnes ttsx hot load @ 3100fps no complaints excellent plains game results. Reliable and efficient.

I've been to RSA twice with a Remington 700. 10 shots of hand-loaded 30-06 netted 10 plains game animals. Used 180 Nosler Partitions. Shot most from a hide, one off the truck, reminder on foot after a short stalk. What even you do make sure you can shot offhand, off of shooting sticks, off a rest etc. Second trip included a .375 H&H for the big 5 type.

Amazing to sit over a watering hole and see anything from a baboon to rhinoceros drop by for a drink...

Good Luck