300 RUM, 190 gr LRX vs AK griz

In my former years guiding bear hunters here in AK I saw bears shot with a number of 30 caliber bullet combinations, but none of them hammered bears like the Swift A-Frame. The quick expansion with good penetration had a very visible effect on them, but no bear I saw hit ever went more than a few feet, and that was usually from rolling around. It's the only 30 caliber bullet I ever saw drop a bear in its tracks when hit broadside through the lungs.
Good to know, thanks for sharing.

I agree Swift A-Frames are deadly for the up close, need to stop'em in their tracks, settings. Shot caribou with them. Also one brown bear with the 275gr version from my 338 Lapua Improved. But that bear was on the ground, and likely, already dead. Was my 2nd shot. Wasn't taking any chances. Did recover that 275gr A-Frame from the brown bear and it looked like a lethal mushroom. Picture perfect.

Have a brown bear permit for spring '23. Will likely use the 282gr Shock Hammer bullet from my 338 LAI for any shot under 150yds. Eager to see their performance, first hand.

Congrats again to Swamplord...
So the A frame still expands fast? I have no experience with them but have a box of 280 grain a frames set aside for my new-to-me .358 Norma.

Any photo's of wound channels and bullet performance? I have some 180 gr TTS that I might play with for my 300 rum this year, but not quite so excited right now as I didn't draw any limited quota tags, gen hunting it is.

Any photo's of wound channels and bullet performance? I have some 180 gr TTS that I might play with for my 300 rum this year, but not quite so excited right now as I didn't draw any limited quota tags, gen hunting it is.
I used that same bullet and TS for years on deer and elk. It's a bone crusher and if no bone will pass through. I was using 98.0 grs. Retumbo .

How to hunt big game ?
Get a 300 RUM & get outta town

That's what I did ! Found this griz 50 miles outta town on Wed night around 11:30 pm (6/8/22) and stuck some Barnes 190 gr LRX bullets in him (Barnes factory ammo)

First shot at 14 paces directly in the chest under his chin as he came at me, the impact of the bullet knocked him down but he was back on his feet in a flash, swatting at the ground and snarling, he was broadside at that sec and I shot him in the shoulder the second time, knocking him down/spinning him facing away from me, as I approached him rifle ready, he jumped to his feet and made his way towards the impenetrable thick willow scrub, I shot him a third time directly in the back from ten feet away, breaking his back ... didn't want to go looking for him in the dense willow mess in the middle of the night ....

Suprisingly, with 3 shots in him and a broken back he still crawled away, pulling himself forward with his front paws/claws while snapping at and tearing the brush with his teeth, he made it 75 feet then I walked up on him and at point blank range put another 190 gr LRX bullet just behind the skull, ending it

All in all, the first shot killed him but he either didn't know it or didn't accept it right at the moment, the second shot was "keep shooting till he's down" , third shot was insurance, to confirm he was done , the fourth shot was a mercy shot to prevent unnecessary suffering

All this occured in mere seconds and I didn't have time to think, just react to the situation at hand

Solo bear hunts can be scary at times, especially when they involve a bear that won't give up, lol !

Congrats Awesome Bear 👍 great shooting, how did you like Expansion of the Barnes bullets at that range did they hold together ? I'm undecided for a Alaska hunt next year between TTSX or partitions.

Swamp lord, there is more to the story, did you spot him from a distance? Did you happen upon it? Looks like a boar somewhere between 7-7.5 ' ? You know we are all loving the details, that way it feels like we are almost with you! 👍🤝👌🇺🇸🍺🇺🇸🍺🍺 That is a beautiful bear, great fur!!!
tell us how you " 49ers " hunt Grizzly 🤝😉

Last edited:
I have a friend who is a guide in northern Montana and Idaho. He had an uncle who was killed by a grizzly nearby 15 years ago while hunting elk there. The bear charged him from 50 yards in mid afternoon. He shot it twice, in the chest and in the face, before it killed him. Two other hunting buddies nearby were too late to help him. Two days later they hunted with dogs, found and killed the bear. Always carry a big, potent weapon in big bear country!

Killed my mtn grizz with a 300rum, shooting 200gr accubonds

Attachments

• 20190611_210814.jpg
    20190611_210814.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190611_211046.jpg
    20190611_211046.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
I have a friend who is a guide in northern Montana and Idaho. He had an uncle who was killed by a grizzly nearby 15 years ago while hunting elk there. The bear charged him from 50 yards in mid afternoon. He shot it twice, in the chest and in the face, before it killed him. Two other hunting buddies nearby were too late to help him. Two days later they hunted with dogs, found and killed the bear. Always carry a big, potent weapon in big bear country!
Do you recall what he shot the bear twice with, rifle or pistol and caliber ? Thanks .