300 RUM, 190 gr LRX vs AK griz

Congrats, great shooting and nice bear. I cannot help to think what the appropriate handgun might be for bear defense in light of this bear taking 4 good shots from a 300 RUM before giving up the ghost... I am almost prone to believe 9mm or 10mm may not be that different...

Gotta ask..............what's with hanging the bruin in a tree and how'd you get him there?

Anymore pics of the bruin lying on the ground? Especially left to righty, not front on?

Alaska pays us $50,000 to kill a grizzly. Hahaha

Awesome! Good shooting and thanks for another bear story.

We've shot grizzly and brown bear with the Barnes TSX before. They die, but like you experienced, not necessarily where they stood at the first shot. I just purchased some Shock Hammer bullets for my 338s. I'm thinking those will unleash greater shock & awe. Hoping they take the wind out of'em very quickly. They won't be my long range bullets, but intend to carry them in the mag for in-your-face encounters, of the type you just experienced.
In my former years guiding bear hunters here in AK I saw bears shot with a number of 30 caliber bullet combinations, but none of them hammered bears like the Swift A-Frame. The quick expansion with good penetration had a very visible effect on them, but no bear I saw hit ever went more than a few feet, and that was usually from rolling around. It's the only 30 caliber bullet I ever saw drop a bear in its tracks when hit broadside through the lungs.

Outstanding, Alaskan. Reading this reminds me that I haven't fully lived yet.
It's on my bucket list to put a gold tip through a big brown. Don't know if I'll ever make it happen. Until I do, keep sending the stories

I have used the 250gr Swift A-Frames in my 338 RUM and as griz375 mentioned and they have worked very very well on just about everything from big Boars to Moose to Bears, perfect mushrooms at 2X+ bullet diameter. I was pushing them at 3100FPS with RL25 92.5Gr(work up to that its over max.) but i didn't have pressure signs with it @ 3.650" Retumbo also worked well i just done remember the charge.

In my former years guiding bear hunters here in AK I saw bears shot with a number of 30 caliber bullet combinations, but none of them hammered bears like the Swift A-Frame. The quick expansion with good penetration had a very visible effect on them, but no bear I saw hit ever went more than a few feet, and that was usually from rolling around. It's the only 30 caliber bullet I ever saw drop a bear in its tracks when hit broadside through the lungs.
I agree Swift A-Frames are deadly for the up close, need to stop'em in their tracks, settings. Shot caribou with them. Also one brown bear with the 275gr version from my 338 Lapua Improved. But that bear was on the ground, and likely, already dead. Was my 2nd shot. Wasn't taking any chances. Did recover that 275gr A-Frame from the brown bear and it looked like a lethal mushroom. Picture perfect.

Have a brown bear permit for spring '23. Will likely use the 282gr Shock Hammer bullet from my 338 LAI for any shot under 150yds. Eager to see their performance, first hand.

Congrats again to Swamplord...

Last edited: