Rifle weight

Maybe I am alone here, will not be the first time? I have never put my rifles on a scale, I have never taken account of the weight of a scope or ring etc. I have lighter rifles and heavier rifles; I use the rifle for job. I am actually getting ready to order a mercury tube or two to install in one of my rifles, I am not alone on that either. I never recall my father, or anyone asking or being concerned of rifle weight! I do not think our veterans or military tell their ranking officer their rifle is too heavy; can they have a titanium spork?! I can keep going but I won't! I guess with the advent of skinny jeans, hair buns and beanies that are big enough for three people, I better go to Starbuck and get me a soy latte, NO!

Dean a 150@ 3000 out of a 21" barrel is really horn honking on it, what are you burning for a powder and charge?

MR2000?
46 grains of IMR 4895. The load has been chronographed down to -30. It will spit a 130 grain LRX out at 3150 with one grain more.

Load Development. Target squares are 1/2" on a side.

0c9tlFU.jpg

46 grains of IMR 4895. The load has been chronographed down to -30. It will spit a 130 grain LRX out at 3150 with one grain more.

Load Development. Target squares are 1/2" on a side.

0c9tlFU.jpg

Thanks Dean, you 150 load with the varget looks about right, the IMR 4895 load is a couple grains over Nosler's max load and bests that load by 200 fps.

Interestingly enough my NULA/270 is one quick bugger as well. I have to lay off the powder a bit to get down to book load speeds.

They sure do shoot eh, Melvin knows his stuff!

I am planning to get a 280 AI for larger critters than I normally hunt (whitetail) when we burn our points in a couple years. Most of my rifles are a bit on the heavy side an wondering how critical rifle weight is going to be hiking around Colorado for instance. What weight should I be focused on (without scope) or does 1 or 2 pounds not really matter at the end of the day.

I am sure hunting in forests is much different than stand hunting which is all I do today...
Totally depends on your health and alot on your age. Throw on a backpack and put 20 lbs of weight in it, go for long walk, as far as you normally would walk hunting...adjust weight to where you are comfortable! I hunted with 14 lbs of rifle in the River Valleys for 10 years...year 11- today 9.5 lbs , and 8 lbs.

Thanks Dean, you 150 load with the varget looks about right, the IMR 4895 load is a couple grains over Nosler's max load and bests that load by 200 fps.

Interestingly enough my NULA/270 is one quick bugger as well. I have to lay off the powder a bit to get down to book load speeds.

They sure do shoot eh, Melvin knows his stuff!
That load is still 1.3 grains under Hodgdon's published max and the Hornady book. I quit at 46 because 46.5 only gave me an extra 10 FPS, which is usually an indication you are close to max load. I did try 47 grains, which gave me 3,100 fps but, it was showing pressure signs.

You are right about them shooting real well. What amazes me is it will print the 130 grain loads at 3150 within a half inch of these 150 loads all the way to 600 yards.

that's fantastic, have you tried the 155 Scenar in it?

I have a Kimber Montana in .308, it loves the 155's.

Personally, I shoot my NULA way better (I love the extra weight)

Yes, for MOST people, even folks that live and play in the mountains, rifle weight makes a difference. Humping 6-10 miles a day at altitude, an extra 2-4 lbs can make a difference in how a rifle carries.
I try to keep my rifles under 9 lbs scoped.
I also feel little difference between 140 gr. and 160 gr. bullet recoil in my rifles, but type of powder, stock design, and recoil pads make a difference.

My wife and I hunt Colorado and hike in and out 10 to 12 miles each day. The first time we went she took my 300 wm with 26 inch barrel. 9.5 lbs. By the 3rd day I was carrying both rifles. The following year I got her a Kimber Montana 280 AI. Fully scoped and loaded its 7.5 lbs. She shoots 160 grain Accubonds and packed that rifle all 5 days in the mountains without issues. Rifle weight matters. I used to run ultra marathons and triathlons and the older I get I really like carrying the sub 8 lb rifle over a 10 every trip. After packing out elk meat 5 to 6 miles every ounce matters on those last days of the hunt. Btw full house handloads 160 grain Accubonds don't both her a bit and she's 130 lbs. No muzzle brake. All mountain hunts I reach for my 270 wsm Tikka Lite. Mine weighs 7.5 lbs all ready to go. Shoots 170 Bergers at 3020 fps and flattens elk out to 800 yards. Enjoy that 280 AI it's an amazing cartridge. 160 Accubonds are a great choice. She killed this bull 5 miles from the truck about 1200 feet in elevation below it in a typical elk hell hole. Just under 600 yds she dropped him with the 160 Accubonds. We packed 246 lbs of meat out. I hauled 100 lbs each trip and she hauled 50 on her one trip out and the rifles and gear. I promise every lb we could cut on our gear was saving muscle cramps and exhausted legs and backs. Was a great day!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1519944219903.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519944219903.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Yes, for MOST people, even folks that live and play in the mountains, rifle weight makes a difference. Humping 6-10 miles a day at altitude, an extra 2-4 lbs can make a difference in how a rifle carries.
I try to keep my rifles under 9 lbs scoped.
I also feel little difference between 140 gr. and 160 gr. bullet recoil in my rifles, but type of powder, stock design, and recoil pads make a difference.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

this

My current rifle is around 9lbs but I am planning on going lighter. Every pound counts when you do a multiple day hunt in the mountains.

Here's my daughter with her cow elk this year. She shot it with my 280 AI, 175 Classic Hunter blew right through the ribs and offside shoulder at 266 yds. This is a heavy 9.8 lb rifle and not my choice for the deep dark mountain hunts but it shoots a mile and kicks like a 243 with the brake on it. You can spot every impact with this rifle. Made a hell of a mess hitting that shoulder but I spent a few hours at home and salvaged a lot of it. Near max load Rldr 23 is spittin those 175 at 2938 fps avg. When a Berger hits bone you get burger. Shiz happens!

Attachments

• IMG_20211105_191857_578.jpg
    IMG_20211105_191857_578.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20211103_203108_108.jpg
    IMG_20211103_203108_108.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
I live in CO and have hunted the mountains since the late 1970s. Almost 75 years young, 5'7" and 150 lbs. I live a little over 5,000 ft in elevation. I still work out 3 days a week. But it gets tougher every year to hunt the mountains. I've carried rifles 10 lbs +and down to a bit over 6 lbs. I would rather carry extra water than a heavy rifle these days.
If you take an elk in the back country, it will take several loads to get it out. Save your energy hunting and be ready to haul that fine elk (or fine meat cow!) out.
I like a rifle 6.5-7.0 lbs. But you must learn how to shoot a light rifle! It is different than a heavy rifle. JMO&E
The mountains are an awesome place to hunt! Just be prepare because weather can change quickly and I have yet to see a weatherman who can be consistantly accurate in the mountains.
Best of luck pursuing a grand mountain experience!

Here's my daughter with her cow elk this year. She shot it with my 280 AI, 175 Classic Hunter blew right through the ribs and offside shoulder at 266 yds. This is a heavy 9.8 lb rifle and not my choice for the deep dark mountain hunts but it shoots a mile and kicks like a 243 with the brake on it. You can spot every impact with this rifle. Made a hell of a mess hitting that shoulder but I spent a few hours at home and salvaged a lot of it. Near max load Rldr 23 is spittin those 175 at 2938 fps avg. When a Berger hits bone you get burger. Shiz happens!

Great pic, country looks more like lope country to me than the elk country I normally roam in the Rocky mountains though...:)

Those offside shoulders can really be pains in the ***