Traveling Outside United States With Rifle For Hunting Or Shooting

turkeyfever

Just got back to the states from Canada from my moose hunt. US Custom agent was kinda snotty because of a form you need filled out by them before bringing rifle back into the US. We did get thru without the form. I will upload a picture of form.

276FA52B-D567-4FF9-892F-C5AA5EAB5333.jpeg
276FA52B-D567-4FF9-892F-C5AA5EAB5333.jpeg

Get a 4457 from any customs agent before you go. Here in WY we can e-mail the rifle info to him and the paperwork arrives in the mail a few days later. Many other states/places you have to take the rifle into them to get it filled out. When going to Africa be sure to have one less that 1 yr old. Can have more than one rifle on a form if you take more than one with you.
Bruce

I printed out that form ahead of time, showed my rifle to the U.S. customs folks before crossing into Canada on my way to Alaska. I'm really glad I did, 'cause three weeks later coming back home, entering Washington, I ran into a "snotty" (good description) CBP person who REALLY wanted to give me a bad time about my rifle. Then she recognized the fellow who had signed my paperwork three weeks earlier was way senior to her. :)

I was surprised that the Canadians even liked me having that paperwork. Not required, but they seemed happy to see it. I'd taken rifles into Canada before to shoot competition, but that had been quite a while ago. It's really pretty doggone easy to take a "normal" rifle into Canada.

Was a good trip, and I really like the folks in B.C.

Guy

Many foreign countries think the 4457 is a firearms license and you must show it to them. In fact it is only to show that you had something of value (like a rifle or even your binoculars or camera) when you left the states so don't need to pay duty on it when you return but they think it is a license so you need to have it with you. I make copies and put one with the firearms, one with your passport and a spare in my luggage just in case.

That form isn't even intended for firearms per say. It is merely used to avoid the potential of being asked to pay duty on something of value purchased outside the USA and brought in. The same form would be used for your Rolex watch or expensive camera equipment.

I have been traveling from NY to Canada for 25yrs. I have never had one of these forms nor have I ever been asked for one. I always stop at the US customs office on my return and fill out the necessary paperwork for the game animals that I'm bringing in, usually bear or moose. They often ask if I'm returning with a firearm but never asked for any forms or certificates.

Unfortunately, this year I ran into a CBP agent with an attitude. He was angry that I did not have the form even though I proved that I brought the rifles into Canada by providing the Canadian firearms declaration paperwork. I told him that the document that he requested hasn't been required for 25yrs. His only response was that he wanted it.

All three of us were essentially detained in a room where we were denied the use of our cell phones (in or out of the building) and the use of the restroom, including the non-hunter who had nothing to declare. We lost aprox an hour while they checked for stolen guns and filled in paperwork. Our hunting buddies who traveled back at the same time crossed at a border station within a few miles. They were asked for nothing and sailed right through.

FWIW - Two of us are retired LEO and none of us have any criminal records. We all had passports.

I have always had the highest respect for the CBP but this incident has certainly changed my opinion. The Canadian CBP have always been proficient and respectful. I expect the same from our own people.

BTW - an attorney friend told me that the US CBP is without authority to deny any US citizen from entering the country if they are already on US soil. Just something nice to know.

Last edited:
Yup, I listed my cameras, the rifle, my binoculars and maybe my rangefinder on the 4457. Those were the items of value I decided to declare. The snooty agent was only interested in the rifle.

We have a similar form in our side when heading South...

List everything we're bringing South to lesson the chances of paying duty when returning North...

We also have to let the US border custom know in advance by a form that we are bringing a firearm South if we're shooting a competion or planning on hunting down there...

Funny thing is,,, we have more in common then any kind of difference...

Our family roots started in the USA in 1492... My Great Great...... Grand Pappy was one of those Pilgrims...

Cheers from the North

Did the little quiz at the top of that link in the OP. For basic hunting if you have fewer than 1000 rounds and 3 rifles you are exempt. Still have to file export info with AESdirect, then take that notification information and verbally declare it to customs prior to leaving.

Varmint Hunter. I do not trust your lawyers opinion. If a State Of Emergency is declared like The attack on the World Trade Center. You may be on USA soil but in a holding cell. That happened to many Truck Drivers caught in Canada in 2001.

Things have changed a lot in crossing USA borders since 9-11-2001 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
I have traveled and hunted Canada and Alaska since 1980. Since about 2006,
You now must have a passport to travel across the USA border to Canada and return.

At one time all you had to declare leaving the USA was foreign made Cameras, guns and such. My brother and I had trouble a few years ago getting 2 Rem. 700's back because we had not declared them leaving the USA.
A CBP form 4457 is required to take Guns, Range Finders, Spotting Scopes and things of value out of the country and return with. I even declare my GPS sitting on my vehicle dash when driving. NO COST
Get on the internet and put the form number in it will come up, And you can fill it all out right on your computer. Do not date or sign it till you are in front of the CBP agent, Have every thing to be declared readily available at border on USA side.

The last time I took Guns into Canada (2017) an RCMP GRC 5589e form was required.
If you put that form number in Google search on your computer and located. It can be filled out, Saved and printed right on your computer. You must have a printer capable of printing 8 1/2" X 14" paper and proper size paper to print. PRINT 3 copies and staple together. Do not date or sign till you are in front of Canadian Customs Officer at the border. ( At the border they may only take 1 copy, Have you sign and date it in their presence. They will sign and make 2 copies and give you a copy. Be sure to take 3 copies, If their copier is down you will have to fill out a hand written 3 copy of form and cost you time.)
Last track I had was 25.00 Canadian Funds was the cost.

Have a Hunters Safety Card or a previous Hunting License with you. Some License agents in Canada has required the HE card or previous license to sell me a license.

Another tip, If you are taking food into Canada do not take Raw Fruit, Raw Vegetables, Buy them from stores when you get into Canada. Bon Voyage BDJ

Definitely make sure to go to the airport before and get a 4457 on any international trip. I usually get one for my scopes and binos if they are of high value also.

Varmint Hunter. I do not trust your lawyers opinion. If a State Of Emergency is declared like The attack on the World Trade Center. You may be on USA soil but in a holding cell. That happened to many Truck Drivers caught in Canada in 2001.

Things have changed a lot in crossing USA borders since 9-11-2001 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
I have traveled and hunted Canada and Alaska since 1980. Since about 2006,
You now must have a passport to travel across the USA border to Canada and return.

At one time all you had to declare leaving the USA was foreign made Cameras, guns and such. My brother and I had trouble a few years ago getting 2 Rem. 700's back because we had not declared them leaving the USA.
A CBP form 4457 is required to take Guns, Range Finders, Spotting Scopes and things of value out of the country and return with. I even declare my GPS sitting on my vehicle dash when driving. NO COST
Get on the internet and put the form number in it will come up, And you can fill it all out right on your computer. Do not date or sign it till you are in front of the CBP agent, Have every thing to be declared readily available at border on USA side.

The last time I took Guns into Canada (2017) an RCMP GRC 5589e form was required.
If you put that form number in Google search on your computer and located. It can be filled out, Saved and printed right on your computer. You must have a printer capable of printing 8 1/2" X 14" paper and proper size paper to print. PRINT 3 copies and staple together. Do not date or sign till you are in front of Canadian Customs Officer at the border. ( At the border they may only take 1 copy, Have you sign and date it in their presence. They will sign and make 2 copies and give you a copy. Be sure to take 3 copies, If their copier is down you will have to fill out a hand written 3 copy of form and cost you time.)
Last track I had was 25.00 Canadian Funds was the cost.

Have a Hunters Safety Card or a previous Hunting License with you. Some License agents in Canada has required the HE card or previous license to sell me a license.

Another tip, If you are taking food into Canada do not take Raw Fruit, Raw Vegetables, Buy them from stores when you get into Canada. Bon Voyage BDJ

Don't even know where to start:

Your reference to drivers stuck in Canada doesn't relate to what I posted. I said a US citizen, who is already on US soil, can not be denied entry. Holding US citizens in a cell without cause is ludicrous. If you are stuck in Canada during a National crisis then that's another story entirely.

Your claim that "You now (since 2006) must have a passport to travel across the USA border to Canada and return", is not correct. I regularly cross in both directions with a NYS ENHANCED Drivers License. I possess a Passport and a Global Reentry card but do not use them at the Canadian border or when returning to the US because they aren't needed. I have never even been asked for a passport when my drivers license has been offered at a crossing station. This includes this year as well. My passport was never requested.

As far as a Hunter Safety card or previous license; I have never brought either nor have I ever been asked for one. I am a state certified Hunter Ed instructor for 35 yrs but that's another story. I hunt in Canada almost every year, occasionally twice in a year. I guess your suggestion to carry one may be a good idea but in the decades that I've been crossing to hunt, it has never been requested.

Fruits, meats and vegetables at crossing come under ever changing regulations. I avoid that entirely. However, many Canadians travel to the US for less expensive groceries and bring them back regularly. Quantities per crossing seem to be restricted too.

The issue I've found is with the transport of alcohol. They are fairly strict about the amount of alcohol that you can bring in. Usually a single case (24 cans) of bear, 1 liter of wine or hard liquor. You can bring more but the duty they make you pay is ridiculous. You may just as well buy your booze in Canada and pay 3x the US price. "I'll have another MooseHead Lite please".

Regarding the 4457 form; while I understand the purpose of the form it hasn't been needed or requested for 30yrs so I was quite surprised by the CBP agents insistence that we produce one. FWIW, we had a truck fully loaded with guns, gear, optics and other expensive equipment. Their only issue was with the firearms.

If the rules continue to choke legitimate sportsman it will only hurt the Canadian hunting industry. I like hunting in Canada and enjoy the fellowship of the Canadians that I've met. I'd also be the first to admit that I've spent an awful lot of money there. But .... I can just as well hunt where I don't get hassled over nothing by officials who just want to break your _____.

Thank you for your input. Our collective experience should help others who follow in their journey to the Canadian woods.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.