Good caliber for hunting Pronghorn in WY or CO

Thanks all that responded. This helped get me prepared.

a follow on question would be: I have heard that getting a draw in CO is easier than say WY for a non-resident. Can I apply to both and see what luck I have? Would anyone be willing to say what UNIT to ask for?
Don't overlook Montana. Not as many goats as Wyoming, and not the bruisers that are found in Arizona or New Mexico, but enough to have a good hunt. The season is 5 weeks long and it is an easier draw than any of the other states that have been mentioned here. Hunting District 700 has the most available tags, the most antelope and lots of BLM land. Montana also has the Block Management program which puts hunters in touch with ranchers who welcome hunters - and it's all free. Outfitters always help, but not necessary. (Depending on your skills and how self-sufficient you are, this is a great state for a DIU hunt.) If you do apply, buy a bonus point - you could get drawn without any, but your chances are greatly increased for the next year if you don't.

I have used my 6.5x284's exclusively on more then a couple of dozen goats for the last 12 years or so. Shots have ranged from 200 to 1188 yards, with most in the 400-600 yard range. A 140gr Berger or JLK, VLD format, at 2975-3000FPS have performed very well, with most DRT or down within 30 yards. IMO, with antelope, shot placement and the terminal performance of the bullet is more critical then caliber

I am working towards a guided hunt for Pronghorn (may have other questions there, but lets keep this post focused on one topic). My reading of the forums suggest that these critters are skitish and thus long range shots is something you need to prepare for. So, my question is what caliber is good/best (!). My assumption is that any caliber is good (correct bullet placement) as long as the caliber can carry the energy at say 600 yards. So, if this is correct even a 6.5 CM would work, or anything above. Any thoughts welcomed.
Any of the flat shooting cartridges in any of the following calibers (6mm/.243, .257, 6.5mm/.264, or .277 are all fine pronghorn rounds. The 7mm/.284 and .308 calibers also work well, but are a bit more than you really need for pronghorn.

I have hunted Pronghorn several times and used one gun 280 Remington mountain rifle with 145 Speer BT going 3050fp.No problem out to 600 yards
That is probably the best and unfortunately most overlooked caliber ever. I killed most of my 65 big game animals with that exact same rifle and caliber. Glad to see someone else appreciates it.

Last edited:
6 mm, 6.5 CM, .270, 30-06, 300 WM. - of those, most are stock Win Mod 70. The 6.5 CM is custom. I have the highest confidence in the 6.5 CM because that is gun I shoot competition out to 800 yds.
This concludes the discussion, as far as I am concerned. Only made it three pages into the five page thread, so maybe there is more drama to come. I'll read on...
Rex

During the 90s I killed 9 doe antelope over a 2 year period with my 22/250 and a Speer 52gr HP. All under 200 yds. Doe tags were 25 bucks ea with a five tag limit, as I remember.
I only had two rifles at that time. a 22/250 and a 338/06. I also was unable to get a buck tag. sooooo......
Carl L.

Those three caliber choices are perfect. I never tell people how far they can shoot, but I do tell them to establish their personal ethical limit. You are right on track in your thinking and planning, and welcome in my camp any time!
Yes, that is an impressive goat. I shot and I mounted it. I was a professional taxidermist for many years - retired now. If you have any more questions, I would be glad to try to help. Good hunting.
That's what I ❤️ about the sig sauer bdx scopes and app. I can program in My minimal energy for that specific animal and the scope flashes if im below that energy. now that they've teamed up with Base Map has even allowed me to execute longer shots knowing I'll be be able to to get to the exact point where the animal was hit. makes some judgement calls easier Especially those dusk shots across a valley.

Your 6.5 will work just fine. I have used .243, 25-06, and .270. I have also used .30 Herrett with a Contender pistol. They go down pretty easy with good shot placement. As WildRose mentioned, decoys work good also. But I would not use one on public land for safety reasons.
RE decoys: a black Angus cow cloth decoy worked very well for us, and should be safer than a doe.

I am working towards a guided hunt for Pronghorn (may have other questions there, but lets keep this post focused on one topic). My reading of the forums suggest that these critters are skitish and thus long range shots is something you need to prepare for. So, my question is what caliber is good/best (!). My assumption is that any caliber is good (correct bullet placement) as long as the caliber can carry the energy at say 600 yards. So, if this is correct even a 6.5 CM would work, or anything above. Any thoughts welcomed.
You would be hard pressed to find a better "Speed Goat" rifle than a 257 Weatherby.
Next would be 25-284. For years my bullet of choice was a Nosler 85gr ballistic tip. Now I prefer 92 HH. Many guys choose a heavier bullet but it's not necessary for Antelope. They are an easy kill.
Just my .02cents

Recent Posts