Need advice on caliber for Moose and bear in Alaska.

Most consider the worst case scenario they might unfortunately get into in an area with large carnivores. The idea is to stop the charging animal, not whether or not you kill it. If brownies or grizzlies weren't there, the old 30-06 would be quite sufficient. Many a shot bear has killed the one that shot him. If you're unfortunate enough to get too close, you may not get a shot at all!
Been around and hunted lots of brown bears? Seem them just shrug off 30-06 hits to the vitals?
I bet more brown bears have been killed with a 30-06 than 375ruger rifles exist in Alaska. You can't even get that ammo. No one shoots it. 375h&h is only slightly less rare. I'd be less surprised if I came across someone with a 375 cheytac in a Barrett or Desert Tech lugging around a 30lb gun for that hero 1 mile moose shot that basically doesn't exist than to see someone carrying a 375 ruger.

If you want to kill the bear instantly, the energy of the round is even less relevant. The only thing relevant is a CNS hit. With anything that can get to the CNS. 9mm with penetrators/hard cast does that.

Last edited:
As opposed to a 44 mag with 33% less energy and 6 instead of 30? Really?

Energy is waaaaaaay overrated…..and terribly misunderstood!

If you care to accept a challenge, that is a challenge to much of the propaganda that the cartridge manufacturers have been proving us with for many years.

If you choose to question with an open mind, that which you've been told since your "shooting birth"….. try reading this! memtb

This whole thread, while most of it quite old, is hilarious. You don't need a cannon of a rifle to kill any bear or moose. Basically if you own a center fire cartridge rifle, with an appropriate bullet in it, you can take it hunting for anything in Alaska. The only limiting factor will be your accuracy with the rifle and the range it's effective at. Not a single animal is wearing body armor despite what a lot of people seem to think.
Off the top of my head the only weapon restriction as far as size is for bison, but there's no caliber, just weight and muzzle energy, which basically limits you to heavy 7mm's and up. They more or less describe a 30-06.
Yes it's old and resurrected…..the the topic will outlive most of us!

NEED has absolutely nothing to do with the OP. The gentleman "wants" a larger bore cartridge! memtb

Energy is waaaaaaay overrated…..and terribly misunderstood!

If you care to accept a challenge, that is a challenge to much of the propaganda that the cartridge manufacturers have been proving us with for many years.

If you choose to question with an open mind, that which you've been told since your "shooting birth"….. try reading this! memtb

I completely agree energy is over rated. But even if we forget it altogether 223 is a lot more effective at killing than 44mag. And then when we start talking defensive scenario where you need CNS hits, 30 chances is way better than 6.
You carry a pistol, of any cartridge, because it's a lot more convenient to carry than a rifle. Not because it's in any way superior.

50BMG full auto mounted on something fast to make a hasty retreat....just in case. 🤣
I remember way back firing quad 50BMGs. I was told it was old navy AA setup. I think that might work!😂
In all seriousness, back when I was considering such a trip, I was told no less than 300WN, but make sure it is something you are comfortable shooting with followup shots. I will defer to those who live in AK and those who have hunted in these conditions.

Last edited:
Hows about the Sherman designed 375 Yukon ? Short action with an 18 1/2" barrel and runs a 248 Hammer Hunter north of 2900'

Been around and hunted lots of brown bears? Seem them just shrug off 30-06 hits to the vitals?
I bet more brown bears have been killed with a 30-06 than 375ruger rifles exist in Alaska. You can't even get that ammo. No one shoots it. 375h&h is only slightly less rare. I'd be less surprised if I came across someone with a 375 cheytac in a Barrett or Desert Tech lugging around a 30lb gun for that hero 1 mile moose shot that basically doesn't exist than to see someone carrying a 375 ruger.

If you want to kill the bear instantly, the energy of the round is even less relevant. The only thing relevant is a CNS hit. With anything that can get to the CNS. 9mm with penetrators/hard cast does that.
Just recommend a Taser. Low recoil. Light weight. Easy to pack.

And they affect the only relevant thing - hitting the CNS.

Last edited:
Just recommend a Taser. Low recoil. Light weight. Easy to pack.

And they affect the only relevant thing - hitting the CNS.

As a "Trekkie" (original tv series)…..a Phaser would be a great stopper. But, you won't have a hide to bring home! 😁 memtb

Recent Posts