Need advice on caliber for Moose and bear in Alaska.

No idea we formed all of ours out of 8mm. It was one of those deals where it was a project started where the stock maker Barrel maker and action maker all took long enough that the Builder died. Then Builders tweaker son tried selling off all the project guns, so it took another year to to recover what was able to be recovered. I think my friend started the project when I was 12 and finished it when I was 20. In that 10 years there was way better options for that particular power range developed but since he had all the pieces and parts sitting in the shelf for a long time... it got built.

Of the moose I've taken I've used a 300 RUM, 338 RUM and 338 Win. All with quality bonded bullets. None exceeded 250 gr. If you're guided in man eating bear country I'd think your guide may well carry a big bear big bore. The calibers I mentioned all performed perfectly..shot placement dependent. I would opt for a caliber and barrel length that you can easily balance, manage the recoil and quickly get back on point for an anchoring or rushed shot..if required. I've seen several situations where the hunter was seriously over gunned. More than once this resulted in poor shot placement, a lost animal or having to clean a moose in the water.

Of the moose I've taken I've used a 300 RUM, 338 RUM and 338 Win. All with quality bonded bullets. None exceeded 250 gr. If you're guided in man eating bear country I'd think your guide may well carry a big bear big bore. The calibers I mentioned all performed perfectly..shot placement dependent. I would opt for a caliber and barrel length that you can easily balance, manage the recoil and quickly get back on point for an anchoring or rushed shot..if required. I've seen several situations where the hunter was seriously over gunned. More than once this resulted in poor shot placement, a lost animal or having to clean a moose in the water.

The key wording here…."I've seen several situations where the hunter was seriously overgunned".

This is a common occurrence…..however, it would be difficult to be "overgunned" for the moose. Big difference between hunter overgunned….and overgunned for moose! 😂

The hunter should use what he/she is most comfortable with! memtb

Sir Samuel Baker shot a 2 bore a few times, it was said it spun him around like a weather vane 😂
Jiggy, 2 bore is a 35 hundred grain bullet. l think l remember reading about Sir Samuel's 2 Bore in my high school days. l remember the gun being a single shot. App 18 pounds, Usually sold in pairs. A trusted gun bearer hopefully backed 0le Sam up.
My 458 Win 70 was super accurate with anything l ever shot in it. lt loved 350gr cast boolits. I'm glad l chose shooting varmints over hunting game. Lots more fun for ME

Any of the 338 or 375s would work fine. No need for anything that big tho but you got your mind on those. A 375 to add is the 375 Ruger it's very used up here and has great performance
The 338 Win Mag was called the Alaskan rifle. Must be a reason. That said, I brought my 340 Wby to Alaska twice & always felt comfortable. With 210gr NPs, it was quite accurate for hunting in the lower 48. Great all-around rifle that isn't too heavy to carry with its synthetic stock. Noticeable recoil from the bench but not terrible.

I've been messing with new hand loads out of my 375 H&H Mag. Still some testing to do, but I'm optimistic with these 235 TSXs humming out of the barrel at 2975fps! 300 yards? No problem! That's a .308 win on the right for reference.
IMG_4533.jpeg

I'm looking to pick up a new rifle for a hunt scheduled at the end of august.

Im considering 338 RUM, 375RUM, 375 H&H, and 416 Rigby....

I want a larger bore rifle as long as it'll shoot pretty good to 300 yards I'm fine with it.
I went with a custom 375 Ruger, had it built with a CIP length action/DBM (actually uses 338 RUM mags) for the longer bullets. Built it for my bucket list hunts. I know for a hunt at the end of August you will not be able to go custom. But the 375 Ruger gives you the same ballistics as a 375 H& H with a shorter 20 "barrel. I still went with a 26" barrel for the extra velocity. I was not able to find a rifle in stock when I was looking to buy.

I checked the Weatherby Website. As far as in stock options you may want to look at either a Weatherby rifle with their Mark V action either their 340 or a 338/378. They had on their Website an Apex model in stock for 338/378 and a 340 available in an Accumark model. They still make the 378, 416 and 460 weatherby in the Deluxe model, a real cool looking rifle if you like wood stocks. When I checked with Weatherby during the Pandemic they were not producing the large calibers is the reason I went custom. An option with similar ballistics to a 338 win mag is their 338 RPM. Just my thoughts and good luck with your search.

Jiggy, 2 bore is a 35 hundred grain bullet. l think l remember reading about Sir Samuel's 2 Bore in my high school days. l remember the gun being a single shot. App 18 pounds, Usually sold in pairs. A trusted gun bearer hopefully backed 0le Sam up.
My 458 Win 70 was super accurate with anything l ever shot in it. lt loved 350gr cast boolits. I'm glad l chose shooting varmints over hunting game. Lots more fun for ME
You must've read Petersons Hunting magazine like I did😀 I should try cast in my LH 458 Lott 😀 it was made for a PH in South Africa 🇿🇦 who died before it was built, M70. CRF

There`s a very long thread, I think on Rokslide (?), touting the use of .223 on LARGE game like moose, bear, etc. It`s complete with numerous photos purporting to demonstrate the internal damage caused by a properly placed .223 round. I guess with an absolutely perfect shot you could kill most anything with a .22LR too! As much as I`m a proponent of the .223, the thought of shooting something like a moose, and certainly a bear, with one, at least deliberately, is to me not rational when there are other more appropriate ( and humane ) calibers.

There`s a very long thread, I think on Rokslide (?), touting the use of .223 on LARGE game like moose, bear, etc. It`s complete with numerous photos purporting to demonstrate the internal damage caused by a properly placed .223 round. I guess with an absolutely perfect shot you could kill most anything with a .22LR too! As much as I`m a proponent of the .223, the thought of shooting something like a moose, and certainly a bear, with one, at least deliberately, is to me not rational when there are other more appropriate ( and humane ) calibers.

Thank You Sir….Well said! memtb