Elk/Deer Caliber

Great to see new people get into shooting and hunting!
But wait until you go to a rifle range and actually shoot A few calibers , before buying one , then you will kinda know what caliber to lean towards.

😀
I get it, I even recommend the 7-08 , but I think it's funny when people assume people who shoot "magnums" will be flinching and shooting poorly.
Most don't practice enough to shoot anything well. Except for everyone on this forum of course.

😀
I get it, I even recommend the 7-08 , but I think it's funny when people assume people who shoot "magnums" will be flinching and shooting poorly.
Most don't practice enough to shoot anything well. Except for everyone on this forum of course.
I'm sorry if it sounded like I was implying everyone that shoots a magnum is prone to flinching. There's plenty of people that shoot them well but unfortunately there's plenty shooting magnum cartridges that would be better served shooting a moderate recoiling rifle. I'm part of the latter.

Great to see new people get into shooting and hunting!
But wait until you go to a rifle range and actually shoot A few calibers , before buying one , then you will kinda know what caliber to lean towards.

Great advice but for most folks just getting into the shooting sports as adults not a practical option.

Folks like myself were able to shoot dozens of different rifles growing up because so many of our friends and family had them. Today, for most that's generally not the case.

We're all ambassadors for our sport whether we like it or not so when on public ranges if I notice someone paying a whole lot of attention to what I'm shooting I will quite often invite them to take a few shots. I'd encourage others to do the same to give young folks that same kind of opportunity.

I have become convinced that most hunters are better off backing down one level of caliber. Unless you shoot a lot, or have a lot of experience, recoil is an issue.

With the excellent bullets we have today, you don't need a lot of power. High BC bullets also change the reality significantly.

I have become convinced that most hunters are better off backing down one level of caliber. Unless you shoot a lot, or have a lot of experience, recoil is an issue.

With the excellent bullets we have today, you don't need a lot of power. High BC bullets also change the reality significantly.
There is some logic there but I'd posit after decades of work as an instructor and guide/outfitter, the more people shoot the more likely they are to show the effects of recoil.

Nobody ever seems to really notice recoil in the field unless the scope bites them but I've seen flinching develop time and again at the range even among the most experienced shooters as they start flinching, wincing, and tightening up in anticipation of recoil.

Some of us here seem to just be gluttons for punishment with our mega magnums shooting lots of rounds for practice but the average hunter won't do much if anything beyond just getting zeroed before a hunt or to check zero after reaching their destination.

I think there's at least a strong argument in both directions.

I've had really good success on elk with both my 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Wby mag. But the 300 definitely anchored a bull better than my 7mm at apx the same distance and bullet placement. The 300 absolutely wrecked both shoulders and passed through. The 7mm did much less damage and the bullet deflected and ended up back in the rib cage.

I've had really good success on elk with both my 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Wby mag. But the 300 definitely anchored a bull better than my 7mm at apx the same distance and bullet placement. The 300 absolutely wrecked both shoulders and passed through. The 7mm did much less damage and the bullet deflected and ended up back in the rib cage.
So why do you think you had such different results from two very similar performing cartridges?
Was this a one time thing? Same ammo choice?