Remington Large Rifle Magnum Primer Issues

Cholla

I bought 1K of Remington LRM primers at a show. I have been trying to develop 7 PRC loads and work on my 7 Rem Meg simultaneously. Of the 20 loads I made, nine failed to fire. I pulled the loads and found the primers unfired.
I called Remington and they claimed since I bought them at a show, there was zero warranty. They felt the seller could have stored them improperly. Okay.
So, I tracked down more LRM primers at a shop in Phoenix, which turned out to be Remington. I gritted my teeth and bought them. Of the next 20 loads, I had one FTF.
I put all the bad primers in 7 Rem Mag brass and ran them through my Remington 700. Half fired. So I think my new Ruger has a weak hit on the firing pin. I think I should clean it out before getting too worked up.
Does anyone else have issues with Remington taking more energy to set off? I have been using Federal, but I'm about out.

My Kimber, Ruger #1, and Howa 1500 (and a friends Savage 338 Lapua) have had zero issues over the last year with Rem LRM primers (only a couple hundred rounds total). I bought another 2k of them last month. Maybe you are not seating them FIRM enough, I use an RCBS bench primer.

Half way thru a brick of 1,000 9 1/2 M's & no problems. Ruger M77, MKII's & FN Mauser's. Nice strong firing pin spring(s) & .055 + protrusion, zippo headspace, & dry primers. Seated with Lee press mounted ram tool. Primer anvils need to contact bottom of primer pocket.

Pull firing pin w spring from bolt & check for scuff marks on spring. Check firing pin protrusion using caliper tail, should be over .050. Clean bolt insides. Two different lots of primers should not have same problem.

I bought 1K of Remington LRM primers at a show. I have been trying to develop 7 PRC loads and work on my 7 Rem Meg simultaneously. Of the 20 loads I made, nine failed to fire. I pulled the loads and found the primers unfired.
I called Remington and they claimed since I bought them at a show, there was zero warranty. They felt the seller could have stored them improperly. Okay.
So, I tracked down more LRM primers at a shop in Phoenix, which turned out to be Remington. I gritted my teeth and bought them. Of the next 20 loads, I had one FTF.
I put all the bad primers in 7 Rem Mag brass and ran them through my Remington 700. Half fired. So I think my new Ruger has a weak hit on the firing pin. I think I should clean it out before getting too worked up.
Does anyone else have issues with Remington taking more energy to set off? I have been using Federal, but I'm about out.
I have no issues with Remington primers; check the firing pin assembly. I experienced this a couple of weeks ago. After firing 20+ rounds at the range, the last round was only a light strike. I re-chambered it again, and there was no difference, so I packed it and called it quits for the day. When I took it apart, the pin was stuck, and the tip bent. The replacement part is on the way. Good luck!

Savage 110 LA Accutrigger 7MM RM.jpg

My primer choices are CCI, Federal, Winchester, and Remington, in order of precedence. However, in my.300 WSM, the Remington performed better than the other three—go figure.

Last edited:
Low firing pin velocity is the cause of most misfires.

Clean bolts or soak in a solvent. I use WD-40 on the bolt. (Plz, no debate on wd40, ty)

Bolt Lugs get Break Free CLP before shooting & for storage. Use very little.

The benchrest crowd seem to replace their firing pin springs fairly often. I've never replaced a spring on a hunting rifle but it made me wonder. Just recently, I bought the appropriate tolls and replaced all of my springs with high quality springs. One thing that I did notice was that all of the new springs were longer.

FWIW - many of my actions were 30-40 years old and have been rebuilt a few times over the years. Replacing the firing pin springs was probably long overdue even though all the guns fired normally.

I was reading an article the other day about a gentleman that was having issues with his rifle all of a sudden stopped shooting good. Tried everything under the sun to figure it out and when he couldn't he called a friend that was a long time bench shooter. First thing he asked was when was the last time you changed your firing pin spring. Needless to say that was his problem. I say this because it got me thinking and in looking for a good spring to use I came across a company at midway that you can get different poundage springs. I wonder if you just need a little stronger spring is all?

I was reading an article the other day about a gentleman that was having issues with his rifle all of a sudden stopped shooting good. Tried everything under the sun to figure it out and when he couldn't he called a friend that was a long time bench shooter. First thing he asked was when was the last time you changed your firing pin spring. Needless to say that was his problem. I say this because it got me thinking and in looking for a good spring to use I came across a company at midway that you can get different poundage springs. I wonder if you just need a little stronger spring is all?
That could very well be my issue. Bought the action used a couple of years ago, but never disassembled and checked the status.

Last edited:

Recent Posts