In between 7mm-08 & .308

Back to the original topic.
This is only my 2 cents... I have a 308 sporter barreled Rem 700 rifle that is SWEET SWEET when loaded with 125 BT whitetail rounds. Several youngters have used it and smiled when looking down at their deer.
My buddy has a Tikka T3Lite in 7mm-08 that I sighted in with 139 grain American Whitetail bullets and would violently jump off of my bags where I couldn't see where it went. It shot great but recoil was worse that my 308 with 125's and at least equal to 150 loads!
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... Ballistically better...right?
How far will that kid actually shoot?
That is my point!
IT IS ALL RELATIVE!!
Let em shoot what they are comfortable with!
So what you are saying is that both are great options in the right platform.

I own both and use 125gn Nosler BT in my Tikka .308 laminate and 120gn Nosler BT 120gn BT in the Tikka CTR 7mm-08 that is slightly heavier being the CTR model and it's great from the truck.

I wanted a 7-08 cause I always wanted one. I would hunt with one in a sporter too.

My first 200 factory loads were 139gn Hornady isp I think in Win factory ammo. I killed a lot of pigs with them and was satisfied with the cartridge capabilities.

I could load heavier in both when required that is why a junior could grow into either.

I use lighter projectiles because I like the Nosler and from the care I could be shooting a pig or a fox and taking numerous shots so I can shoot both comfortably and accurately from the car and when I shoot pigs it's sometimes headshots if I am quick enough so they are dead on their feet but even average pigs drop quickly with a chest shot from either.

Yes sir... Exactly what I'm saying.
They are both fine cartridges.
I also have a 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor and they too are fine cartridges.
Everyone will have an opinion of which has an edge over the other and the beat goes on.
Being able to load for your situation makes them more versatile, fun and almost too close to call.
This is a great site of which to find such thoughts and opinions and most are spot-on and helpful to us readers.

Last edited:
Run some 130-140 Hammer Hunters and watch the kick disappear. I'm building a 7-08 and 308 switch barrel as we speak. 18" 308 barrel and a 24" 7-08 Barrel on Kelbly action.
Here it is. Finished it up yesterday with the .308, 18" barrel attached. Also have the 22" 7-08 in same barrel profile. Just need to mount the optics and head to the range. As you see it the weight is 5.4 pounds on the scale.
C761FB67-F538-48BB-83BD-392AB74514CB.jpeg
F8216C9E-527B-4619-88D5-93B3F2B913F1.jpeg
94540A8F-9B21-4578-981D-94E3B7E32442.jpeg

Yes sir... Exactly what I'm saying.
They are both fine cartridges.
I also have a 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor and they too are fine cartridges.
Everyone will have an opinion of which has an edge over the other and the beat goes on.
Being able to load for your situation makes them more versatile, fun and almost too close to call.
This is a great site of which to find such thoughts and opinions and most are spot-on and helpful to us readers.
So , I have been known to knock the Creedmoor.
I would possibly favour the .260 over it just to buck the trend.

For hunting would you have a biase?

I have a biase for 7mm-08 because I formed an opinion years ago that it's versatile.

So , I have been known to knock the Creedmoor.
I would possibly favour the .260 over it just to buck the trend.

For hunting would you have a biase?

I have a biase for 7mm-08 because I formed an opinion years ago that it's versatile.
My son and I each have a hunting rifle in 260 that have accounted for many whitetail. We also have one each in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Oddly...Neither one of the Creedmoors get hunted or shot other than checking zero every year.
I do shoot a bench rifle in Creedmoor for long range steel.
I don't have a 7mm-08 but would probably choose it over both 260 and 6.5Creed for hunting.

@Roughrice
It's always nice to have options and you obviously have certain rifles for different applications.
Having read up on the .260 I like the specs.
It's not common in Australia and will be overlooked now because Creedmoor is so widely known.

@Roughrice
It's always nice to have options and you obviously have certain rifles for different applications.
Having read up on the .260 I like the specs.
It's not common in Australia and will be overlooked now because Creedmoor is so widely known.
Yes CBH.
If you have a custom 260 chambered with a longer freebore to set it up like the Creedmoor is to get it out of the neck/shoulder junction it'll really shine with more velo and will handle longer heavier bullets.
That's where it'll really shine!... and say goodbye to the Creedmoor!
Sorry Creedmoor fans!...It is what it is! ;)

Last edited:
the 7-08 and 308 win are both excellent rounds for hunting big game and perform well out to what most hunters call their max range. Now most of the folks here on this forum probably double that range and probably use cartridges that hold double the powder capacity of the 7-08 or 308 and carry guns that can take anything that walks on 4 legs. But for the rest of us, the 7-08 and the 308 both work just fine.

Nothing wrong with either the 308 or the 7mm08 but I have a strong belief that if I we're starting all over again and bought me a 7 mm08 that's all I would need . As I said already nothing wrong with the 308 I've got 2 but I really just like the 7mm08 for some reason. And my younger son has a 260 rem that he's killed a truckload of deer with and loves it

Recent Posts