Interesting article on bear spray vs. bear handgun defense

Gday

Don't get the issues here I love spray & would highly recommend to continue to use this method although I've never used it on a bear but surely it'll work ok on any bear 🤷‍♂🙈

Here's mine ready for action &
42899C24-5C07-4302-B553-C58B24880471.png
& the spray kinda takes a bit to get use to but seems fairly effective to me 😜
68872AFA-8EDC-41AC-8438-DF3C431AC5D4.png2B69D75D-50BF-41A5-B92A-E3B5751AEC58.png890E2BE5-89E8-493E-8882-2089F4A499C1.png

Cheers

Bear Spray is a mix of "Preppers" mainly CAPSAICIN

WOW
Bear spray is a specific aerosol deterrent designed to discourage aggressive or charging bears. Its active ingredients are highly irritant capsaicin and related capsaicinoids derived from red chili peppers. When faced with an aggressive bear, a user points the canister and sprays the contents for 2–3 seconds. The maximum effective range varies by manufacturer but is generally effective when sprayed at a charging bear from a distance of 1.5 to 3 meters

I actually need to pull up the effect of "Capsaicinoids" on HUMANS-MAMALS.
It really does not have some effect for someone on drugs or high "Adrenaline" release in the brain. This happens on all mammals. The "Fear-Flight" takes effect. SO in a situation you either RUN or FIGHT and ADRENALINE kicks in. Basically, when that natural drug released in the brain nothing will stop the animal.
CN & CS Gas does have a dramatic effect on humans and animals, but you can't get it anymore.
I had the "CN" - "MACE", and "CS" "Tear Gas" Spray in Cans that were about 11" X 1.5" back in the 70s before they Banned It and changed to a CAPSAICIN type spray. It was said that a "Drug Induced" person would not be effected by "CN" MACE "CS" but Peppers burning the eyes and respiratory would stop the person. IT DOES NOT effect if a person or animal had ADRENALINE kicking in.

Pepper "CAPSAICIN "Spray is used by the Government is said to be much more effect than CN (MACE) CS (Tear Gas) Gases.
It all comes down to lability. Try to get some CN or CS in Aerosol or any other forms these days.

If I was going into an are with "Bears" actually Black Bears are mean. I know I hiked through the Appalachian for many Years training to stay in shape for mountain climbing. I carried my dad's Remington Rand 1911 .45 all the time. Sometimes slept in a small shelter with Chain-link Fence to lock us in at night on Mt LeConte.
Anyone that thinks that "Bear Spray" Pepper Spray will stop a charging or Peed off Bear will have that area left with Bear Scat to include the Humans and the can of Bear Spray.

Now not to say that you have to shoot all Bears that you see. A lot of Bears will RUN the other WAY!!!!
You can not go into bear country unless you know what you are doing and the bear's environment. I have had encounters with some small and BIG Black Bears here in North GA.
I would never use a Spray Can. The time it takes you to "SPRAY" a Bear it is already on you.
When Hunting I always carry my S&W Model 29 6". It is not a thing if I am in bear country or not. I know that I have a back up from my rifle whether it is a .22 or .325wsm.
Just be Safe when hunting and don't make mistakes just because you read something in a magazine.

I wonder how many bear encounter survivors that used only bear spray still only carry bear spray?
I know one that does. Just spooked a sow in a bad situation, she bit his thigh and flung him like a dog does a chew toy. He was pretty honest that it happened so fast no amount of armament would have helped, just being more aware.

Bear Spray is a mix of "Preppers" mainly CAPSAICIN

WOW
Bear spray is a specific aerosol deterrent designed to discourage aggressive or charging bears. Its active ingredients are highly irritant capsaicin and related capsaicinoids derived from red chili peppers. When faced with an aggressive bear, a user points the canister and sprays the contents for 2–3 seconds. The maximum effective range varies by manufacturer but is generally effective when sprayed at a charging bear from a distance of 1.5 to 3 meters

I actually need to pull up the effect of "Capsaicinoids" on HUMANS-MAMALS.
It really does not have some effect for someone on drugs or high "Adrenaline" release in the brain. This happens on all mammals. The "Fear-Flight" takes effect. SO in a situation you either RUN or FIGHT and ADRENALINE kicks in. Basically, when that natural drug released in the brain nothing will stop the animal.
CN & CS Gas does have a dramatic effect on humans and animals, but you can't get it anymore.
I had the "CN" - "MACE", and "CS" "Tear Gas" Spray in Cans that were about 11" X 1.5" back in the 70s before they Banned It and changed to a CAPSAICIN type spray. It was said that a "Drug Induced" person would not be effected by "CN" MACE "CS" but Peppers burning the eyes and respiratory would stop the person. IT DOES NOT effect if a person or animal had ADRENALINE kicking in.

Pepper "CAPSAICIN "Spray is used by the Government is said to be much more effect than CN (MACE) CS (Tear Gas) Gases.
It all comes down to lability. Try to get some CN or CS in Aerosol or any other forms these days.

If I was going into an are with "Bears" actually Black Bears are mean. I know I hiked through the Appalachian for many Years training to stay in shape for mountain climbing. I carried my dad's Remington Rand 1911 .45 all the time. Sometimes slept in a small shelter with Chain-link Fence to lock us in at night on Mt LeConte.
Anyone that thinks that "Bear Spray" Pepper Spray will stop a charging or Peed off Bear will have that area left with Bear Scat to include the Humans and the can of Bear Spray.

Now not to say that you have to shoot all Bears that you see. A lot of Bears will RUN the other WAY!!!!
You can not go into bear country unless you know what you are doing and the bear's environment. I have had encounters with some small and BIG Black Bears here in North GA.
I would never use a Spray Can. The time it takes you to "SPRAY" a Bear it is already on you.
When Hunting I always carry my S&W Model 29 6". It is not a thing if I am in bear country or not. I know that I have a back up from my rifle whether it is a .22 or .325wsm.
Just be Safe when hunting and don't make mistakes just because you read something in a magazine.
1.5-3 meters .....I'm out

Haha…happens every time…
View attachment 567140

Many moons ago the army engineers were in our village doing surveys to practice making remote air straps. High-school/college age guys got to be "bear protection". Basically sitting around bored on the tundra. They brought boxes of spray with them.

One day we were in site waiting for them to show up. (They flew in from somewhere with black hawks and would meet us who has traveled in by jet boat). One of the guys decided to setup a bucket and spray it...

I was up a hill picking berries a few hundred feet away from him, never will forget the spray shooting out and arcing back and covering him. The progressive screams he let out about 15 seconds later as the reality of his choices set in. He 'bout drowned himself face first in the nearest little creek trying to get it off.

Gday

Don't get the issues here I love spray & would highly recommend to continue to use this method although I've never used it on a bear but surely it'll work ok on any bear 🤷‍♂🙈

Cheers
I don't think enough people understand the issues wind presents to typical cans of spray. Fordy, yours is atypical and appears to be extremely wind resistant !

The articles were an interesting read. Since you cannot carry a side arm in National Parks, bear spray probably is your best option when there. Surprising a grizzly sow with cubs on a hike in a NP is a recipe for disaster. Also, encountering an aggressive bear looking for a meal is probably not going to end well. Such is the risk of hiking in bear country. There would be no question in my mind on what I would be carrying if hunting where firearms are allowed. It would not be a can of bear spray.

When my wife and I went to Idaho last summer to visit family and hike I took a can of Glock G40 bear deterrent. When we got there my cousin took me to a sporting goods store and bought a $50 can of bear spray. While hiking he and I both carried 10mm's and my wife carried the bear spray. The plan was if things went bad with a bear was to use the 10mm's first, then spray the bear and ourselves with the bear spray after it was all over.

They might fend off a pussycat bear. Apt to **** off a determined one.
Most bears are pussycats. Black bears are by far the most common in the US, and are what folks are most likely to encounter. They'd generally prefer to avoid human interaction, so they're easy to spook. Of course there's rare cases where they do become aggressive, which is why there's about as many black bear attacks as deer attacks each year. Grizzlies are a different story, and it makes sense to carry something for defense against them.

The average person, even the average hunter, can't shoot well in a high stress situation. Odds are most people won't be able to stop a bear with a gun. Just like every day CCW you need to routinely train, and the vast majority of people won't do that. Hitting a bear with bear spray is easier than hitting a bear with a bullet, and a hit with spray does a whole lot more than a miss with a bullet.

Recent Posts