In the Ear? Really???

Cool thread...just seen it!

I could write a book on shooting hogs. Seeing this thread got me to thinking of all the wild hunts I've had with hogs.

I have used every method there is except bare hands...we had a deer lease that turned into a hog lease...had the place for 19 years. It was on the central coast of Texas, the deer were just deer...couldn't grow a set of decent horn no matter what we did.

Killed them with a bow, black powder, AR-15, AK-47, shotgun and of course normal center fire rifles. Got odd stories with almost all of them.

First story almost made the Hogzilla show on the discovery channel about 10+ years ago. They couldn't use the footage because they had to have written permission from the land owner where we did the reenactment.

Bow shot one in the morning, medium sow...seen him run about thirty 30 and go down. Hit him right in the crease...picture perfect. I was doing the deep breaths to calm down so I could climb out of the tree and looked over to where he was laying and he was gone. Went and got my now ex-wife and went to tracking. Jumped him couple times and I was going around some heavy brush when she said she could see him. She carried a 44mag all the time. About the time she said something...here he comes right at her...knocks her down and chews on her a little then take off...I was yelling for her to shoot him...so she jumped up and put two in him!

Another time my mother shot a big sow one morning...she is a dead eye shot like most women are...7mm RM behind the ear at the feeder 75 yards away. Normal bang/flop...she put the rifle in the corner of the stand and starts reading her book. Looks up and she is headed for the brush. But fall when she reaches a big mesquite tree...all good hog down. I meet her in camp and she told be she had one down so I went to go get it. I bowhunt most of the time so I didn't bother get anything, just jumped in my hunting buggie and took off. I fine some blood but no hog. So off I go tracking the blood trail. I see her laying out in the open and just walk up to her. She jumps up and takes off running...we do that a couple more times and I start thinking we getting further away from my hunting rig. So the next time I get close to her I take off running and tackle her...don't have a locking blade knife, but I had it open when I jumped her...any way...another dead hog!

Then sitting at a feeder along a road...the wind was wrong so the ex-wife and I sat on the side on the road...being a coastal area all the roads are raised because of all the rain/water...she is set up facing the feeder on a bipod...I had an AR-15 sitting behind her. Well we have a huge boar come up the other side of the road...10 feet away...she couldn't turn so I raised the rifle put the cross hairs between the eyes and bang...down he goes...feet in the air running 100mph. I was fearful he would get his running gear under him so I pumped three more 55gr FMJ into his sternum...the squealing slowly went down to nothing, but it took some time! I save the skull on this beast because he was huge...bullet never exited...none in the sternum made it to the spine...tough critters!
Funny. In 94 when I still lived near Dublin I was guiding up here. Had a couple of the nicest, most polite people you ever met down for a week from Chicago.

They were working on their "bucket list" as he'd spent 30 years as an exec for one of the top two accounting firms in the country and they'd sacrificed a whole lot of vacations throughout his career.

We were quail hunting, although prepared for hogs as well, when one of the dogs went over a little rise into a one way draw and didn't come out. The Husband was closest so I told him to go give it a look.

He disappears for about thirty seconds when we hear his shrieking like a little girl and at full speed comes blasting back practically in his same tracks screaming "It's a Blank'n Rhino!"

Right behind him is one of the largest boars I've ever seen and I drop two slugs into my OU and hand it too the wife and tell her as soon as hubby is clear "smoke'm".

He ended up being the second largest boar we'd killed to that point.

Laughing about it at dinner that night he said in his panic that "Rhino" was the only word that came to mind because it's the only animal he'd ever seen that large.

They went home awfully happy.

Lol ya I forgot. My wife got to come with me for work this year with our 3 year old. 14 hour drive to nc turned much longer. Then we went straight to NY and as he was whining in the back seat my wife apologized to the one employee I had with me and his response was my son whines less than his co workers. Lol
Kids make those trips looooong.
When your settled I'll head down to help you worth those pigs and we can set up some baby fights and sell the footage for hunting money.

Well, we made it to Texas. I drove straight through from Sc to Tx. Other than a 90 minute power nap at the La welcome center, I was behind the wheel for 26 hours. One knows Tx is big, but this place is big enough to be its own country!

Saw lots of beautiful county on the way and can't wait to get out and explore!

there aren't any hunting spots left in tx for hogs. i don't remember if this was posted before, but i had to go to south carolina to get these. i guess it seems the grass is always greener, rite scram?

hey... what ever happened to that coy guy. can't he at least say gfy or something?

I saw the largest wild hog I've ever seen last weekend laying dead on the side of the road. This thing must have gone 350 easily. It must have a taken a semi to take thing out.

I saw the largest wild hog I've ever seen last weekend laying dead on the side of the road. This thing must have gone 350 easily. It must have a taken a semi to take thing out.
I've seen semi's totaled on hogs that size. We had a national freight company a few years back total five trucks in a very short span of time near Guthrie and they finally started routing their Dallas/Lubbock/Return Traffic another way to avoid them at considerable expense. They had to change routes though to keep from losing their insurance carrier.

I also got caught by a jackass of a DPS officer killing an even bigger boar on 183 between Throckmorton and Seymour the same year at a spot where more than a dozen trucks and cars had been totaled in a short span of time threaten to put me in jail for shooting on the right of way. I laughed at him and told him to go ahead and that if he did he'd get laughed out of court and I'd get a medal.

He discussed it with the Sheriff who showed up to help me drag him off the highway and load it in the trailer whom I'd called as soon as I shot it and whom told him he was being an ignorant jackass.

He told the idiot that it was "His County" and as far as he was concerned it was a public service killing.

That officer never bothered me again.

there aren't any hunting spots left in tx for hogs. i don't remember if this was posted before, but i had to go to south carolina to get these. i guess it seems the grass is always greener, rite scram?

hey... what ever happened to that coy guy. can't he at least say gfy or something?

Well, well, well! Just thought I'd go slumming for awhile and what do I find? Djones giving off the same old line of BS and Coy backing him up! Things have settled down here, so thought I'd go see what was going on...Same Old, same old!...lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.