In the Ear? Really???

Hi Snox, see you are still wandering around this thread now and then. I left a message for coy on another thrread earlier tonight, and see some familiar names around, but miss having djones to hassle. I guess he is still hunting pigs, depending on which bar he has been hanging out in, but haven't been able to track him down! Guess he still hunts Hogs too!

I hunt from the comfort of a blind 90% of the time. Its nearly impossible to spot and stalk in this part of Texas.

I shoot them in the ear or just behind it and never have to chase them. They drop right there.

I've never been charged by a wounded hog but I'm pretty sure if I was, I would want an M240 to be safe... All in fun...

I do carry a .45acp as a side arm when approaching downed game.

I guarantee it will tighten your pucker strings1

I hunt from the comfort of a blind 90% of the time. Its nearly impossible to spot and stalk in this part of Texas.

I shoot them in the ear or just behind it and never have to chase them. They drop right there.

I've never been charged by a wounded hog but I'm pretty sure if I was, I would want an M240 to be safe... All in fun...

I do carry a .45acp as a side arm when approaching downed game.

I also carry a .45 acp, but whether I am hunting or not. However, I have noticed a propensity for people to want to be able to shoot downed but still very much alive hogs with their pistols, despite having perfectly good rifles for the job. I did for years as well. Then I noticed that I do the same thing everyone else does to deliver a coup de grace shot. I get too close to the wounded hog. We all want to get closer so that we can make a good shot, right? Then I had a big boar lunge at me, striking me with his nose, but having no power in the lunge because his spine had been broken. That could have gone very badly for me. After that, all wounded hogs get shot with my rifle. I ain't messin' 'round no more. Some get shot a second time with my rifle simply as a matter of quality assurance for the job. Some because they absolutely need it.

Last edited:
I also carry a .45 acp, but whether I am hunting or not. However, I have noticed a propensity for people to want to be able to shoot downed but still very much alive hogs with their pistols, despite having perfectly good rifles for the job. I did for years as well. Then I noticed that I do the same thing everyone else does to deliver a coup de grace shot. I get too close to the wounded hog. We all want to get closer so that we can make a good shot, right? Then I had a big boar lunge at me, striking me with his nose, but having no power in the lunge because his spine had been broken. That could have gone very badly for me. After that, all wounded hogs get shot with my rifle. I ain't messin' 'round no more. Some get shot a second time with my rifle simply as a matter of quality assurance for the job. Some because they absolutely need it.

I carry a .45 when I head out too. I also take a spear with me as well. I was supposed to go on a spear hunt a few years ago, but the trip fell through. I got it for less than $30 and the blade is insanely sharp. It came with a plastic blade cover so I put it in the back of the truck. I've used it several times to dispatch hogs that I've spine shot. I haven't used it a ton, but it has been very handy when needed.

Been going back to the beginning and reading all the posts to catch up an see what has been going on in my absence. Looks like really nothing has changed except for djones abandoning the post and Coy not posting as much, at least that I can find. Am going to be heading over to Texas about the end of February or maybe later into March. Will depend on the weather.

Since I lost my wife, have been quite a few changes in my life, some good, some bad. Have traveled extensively and paired up with a widowed lady that likes to shoot and hunt as much as I do and we've been all over the country in a 21' travel trailer, but mainly out West. Starting to settle down some and want to do a little shooting and maybe get a us a few more hogs.

Since this site is only on my main computer, haven't been able to post unless we were home here in Tucson.

Will be checking in more frequently while the weather is cold and we are here.

Later, and if anyone runs across DJ, tell him to check back in once in a while!
41149-a432c823d5071b98b3691a8c1814bc84.jpg

Packrat

????? IS there something about Instagram I ouoght to know about? Really have no idea what it is! Is this like one of those sites you guys were talking about several hundred posts ago?

Scrmblr, just read that you might be in San Antonio....The ranch where we shoot is about 35 miles SW of there, so if we head back to the ranch, maybe we can get together and have a cup of coffee or something, my treat. I MAY and only may, be able to put you into an area you can shoot some hogs, but down South along the Border lake, and a little East, the Pecan growers were begging for someone to come down and shoot the hogs. Apparently they were causing havoc with the hired hands getting attacked while trying to service the orchards. This was about a year ago, so will have to check with some people i know and see what the situation is now!

Anyway glad to see that you have moved closer and as long as you don't ask me to eat any Chicken swamp, or whatever you call it, I'm sure that we can get along fine!

Packrat

I'll be just north west of San Antonio in the end of Jan. Hopefully the pigs are abundant this year. Bit slow last year. Instagram is new way to brag about how awsome your are. You snap a picture and post it for all to see. Cars, trucks, hunts anything cool. I do t use it but i think I got that right.

I live in Florida and we have Hogs all over the place. I think Texas as more hog than Florida. What I have learn in the many years hunting them this is what I can tell you. Shot placement is right behind the ear (nice soft spot). Here there in packs, so if you are in the ground keep a eye behind you. The alpha male hog or sow with piggy's WILL
charge you. Male hogs over 80lbs taste like ****. Carry a pistol as backup 44mag, anything smaller good luck, because more than likely you are going to have one shot before he on your leg. I have a 10 acre ranch in center Florida with a nice wire fence. Those freaking hog will dig over the fence to go after the deer feeders inside.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts