In The Ribs

RJC

gun)We have way too many hogs and not enough people interested in killing them. Too many guys want that "perfect shot". Shoot em in the ribs and they'll die. They can't take much lead in the lungs and wont go far.

I realize that hogs are more or less pests in a lot of areas. But in my opinion, like shooting any animal, the hunter owes it to the hog to make a quick clean kill.

They dont go real far if you put one in their ear either. Never had much trouble getting the bullets there myself. Hogs eating corn or rooting have always presented several "perfect Shots" to me.

I agree however they are not hunted as hard as they need to be.

Many probably won't like this, but I know plenty of people that will gut shoot a hog just so it will run off and die and they won't have to mess with it.

The little ones are good on the pit, but the big ones are good for nothing and are a major pest in TX.

Shot two with my PSE the opening day of bow season and two with .264 opining day of gun season. They are a pest here too. You're right, the younger ones are good to eat.

So, is there a cheap way that a few Montana boys could come down and put the hurt on some of them hogs! I'm looking for good info on tag cost if any, seasons, limits and access fees. A few guys went down a couple years ago and couldn't get on any places that had lots of hogs that didn't want major money for it, it seems the attitude changes when guys actually show up to do some big time killing, kinda had the bait and switch happen, not one hog was shot and no fun was had.

There's usually plenty of good places to kill hogs after deer season is over. Don't know what the license cost is or what license is required. I'll check on it.

Not sure what the rules are for non residents, but feral hogs in TX are not game animals, there is no season or limit, and I do not think you even need a hunting license.

Check out craigslist houston or san antonio there are all kinds of cheap hog hunts.

I don't guess many folks care what I think but,Shooting any living thing in the guts is a shame,do it on purpose and its a sin.

I hear it all the time too, how much of a pest these are all, but if you actually want to kill em, better bring your wallet....

I've gone in the spring twice now, both times paid $300 a day plus plane tickets, and tips. Now that wasn't a cheap hunt, nice accomondations and all, but zero hogs... only saw 5 or so on the whole hunt, 3 of those were between 1am and 4am and the other 2 were a blur running across the sendero we were driving along.
This year we're bringing a full set of night vision optics, scopes and binos, still uncertain of where to go however. If anyone has a lead i'd be very interested.

I would love to get in on some hog huntin, I drive through TX all the time and see them. Every farmer I have stopped to talk too about hunting them says hell yea kill'em all for $2000.00

Any shooter knows what a rib-shot is. It's lungs, and believe me, anything from .22 on up put in the lungs will do it. The fact is we've got way too many hogs and everyone needs to shoot them when they can.

Depending on where you are there are some hogs around here. People have been telling me about their gardens getting torn up hay fields rooted ect.I say where do you live?My son in law and I would love to come over and help you out with that.They say well I have not really seen any this summer it was last year,or give me your number and if I see any I'll call you.The only hogs I have found is the ones I scouted myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.