In the Ear? Really???

I learned the hard way that .223 is not the best caliber to hunt hogs with. Really where I hunt them they aren't feral hogs but are actually wild boar that are descendants of boar that were imported from Europe in the the early 1900's for a private hunting preserve that borders my property along the Tennessee North Carolina state line.

These boar broke through the land owners fence and have populated all over the hills and mountains of East Tennessee. These are tough and mean creatures.

While walking my property one weekend with my brother in law looking for signs of wild life we stumbled into the bedding area of a very large boar. My brother in law pointed him out to me and I raised my rifle to look at hime through my scope. It was early spring and the vegetation was starting to sprout out but I could still see a good 25 yards. So I am looking at this boar and he stands up and turns and is looking at me. He put his head down as if he is about to charge. So I put his head right in the cross hairs of my scope as he begins his charge. I emptied a 10 round magazine into him and it didn't phase him.

The boar continued his charge and luckily I was able to get up a tree before he could reach me. My brother in law was not as lucky and got hit across the back of his leg with the boar's razor sharp tusks. My brother in law was able to put the boar down with his .44 mag revolver but it took two shots.

After that I didn't try to take a boar with anything less than a .308. We hunt hogs mostly at night and all around the fields we hunt in is dense woods and hills populated with black bear, mountain lions, coyote, and there have been unconfirmed sightings of black wolfs. I don't want to risk wounding a hog and then have him run off into the woods. I am not going into those woods at night without anything less than a platoon size force.

So in order to avoid having to track a hog at night We use a.308 200 grain Barnes TSX all copper bullet that I hand load and we shoot the hog in the shoulders that most of the time is an almost instant fatal kill shot, but at the very least breaks both of the hog's shoulders so it can't run off the field and if need be allow us to be able to shoot another shot to kill it or to allow us to get up to hand gun range and deliver a kill shot to the head.

I love hunting the hogs, but hunting at night can be very dangerous so it is very important to have the right tools to do the job. Having the right caliber makes the hunt a lot safer. Hogs are no joke. A wounded hog is one of the most dangerous animals you will ever meet. A wounded hog won't wait until it is cornered to attack. It will lash out at anything it sees.

They can be tough to stop when they want to. Ive dropped many with a 223 with no issues. then on the same hunt I shot a medium size sow with my 338 lapua with 300 gr . the hog ran about 30 yards. I was taping the hunts so you could see the progression. I started with a 6x45 and they were all dropping in there tracks. as I moved up to 300blk they ran a few yards. then the .458 socom a few more yards. last the 338 ran the furthest. had me scratching my head. No doubt though that larger is better. if I was to average them all the socom seems to plant them quick.

Howdy,
Just checking in to let everyone know that i am alive and kicking. Just a quick stopover in Tucson before we head out to Cabo St. Lucas, Mexico for some deep sea fishing. Sold one house in Vail, AZ and bought another, slightly larger in Tucson so I had more room in the trophy room for everything we've been doing. Polar Bears require a high ceiling. After Cabo, heading to Washington State for a family reunion, then later, over to Texas, then on to New Orleans and Florida.

Have been busier than a goldfish in a shark tank at Lunchtime and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down anytime soon, but I do miss the Camaraderie of the site.

Someone asked me how do I afford to do everything I do, well, go spend the money to buy a book called "The 16% solution" by Joel Moskowitz, and it will give you a hint on how to beat the banks, hands down. I make a minimum of 16% on my money with NO RISK, Government backed! I've been following the book for about 10 years and haven't lost a dime, only made money hand over fist. Hope you have the gumption to follow up.

Anyway, the best to all of you and will check back as I can

Packrat 6

Glad to hear your still alive. Didn't think I would ever say I missed you on here but dang I did. Sounds like you are having a blast. I'll pick up that book and take a look. Thanks for the update and knowledge. When you get to Michigan we will have to do lunch. Or better yet we could do some hunting.

Good to hear from you Pack! Things have been kinda quiet on this page lately. I've got a 6 month old and a 2 year old, so my hunting time is severely limited.

DJ has dropped of this page and hasn't posted in a while. I heard that he is pulling a 1-3 year sting on a beastiality charge. I saw photos on Facebook, and it wasn't pretty!

DNS is making awesome videos of his hunts. He kills a lot of hogs but he really enjoys slicing them from head to toe with his blades.

Hope all is well with you and always enjoy reading your posts!

Been a while since this thread has been active, which is a shame since it used to be a ton of fun!

I've accepted a position in San Antonio, so we are packing up the house in SC. We will really miss this place, but it is time to move on. Hopefully San Antonio will bring great things for our family!

1,300 miles lol I do that a week. My 2015 f-150 has 125,000 on it and I split that with two other cars and it was 4 months getting the tuning package done then updated. Lol 1,300.

Cool thread...just seen it!

I could write a book on shooting hogs. Seeing this thread got me to thinking of all the wild hunts I've had with hogs.

I have used every method there is except bare hands...we had a deer lease that turned into a hog lease...had the place for 19 years. It was on the central coast of Texas, the deer were just deer...couldn't grow a set of decent horn no matter what we did.

Killed them with a bow, black powder, AR-15, AK-47, shotgun and of course normal center fire rifles. Got odd stories with almost all of them.

First story almost made the Hogzilla show on the discovery channel about 10+ years ago. They couldn't use the footage because they had to have written permission from the land owner where we did the reenactment.

Bow shot one in the morning, medium sow...seen him run about thirty 30 and go down. Hit him right in the crease...picture perfect. I was doing the deep breaths to calm down so I could climb out of the tree and looked over to where he was laying and he was gone. Went and got my now ex-wife and went to tracking. Jumped him couple times and I was going around some heavy brush when she said she could see him. She carried a 44mag all the time. About the time she said something...here he comes right at her...knocks her down and chews on her a little then take off...I was yelling for her to shoot him...so she jumped up and put two in him!

Another time my mother shot a big sow one morning...she is a dead eye shot like most women are...7mm RM behind the ear at the feeder 75 yards away. Normal bang/flop...she put the rifle in the corner of the stand and starts reading her book. Looks up and she is headed for the brush. But fall when she reaches a big mesquite tree...all good hog down. I meet her in camp and she told be she had one down so I went to go get it. I bowhunt most of the time so I didn't bother get anything, just jumped in my hunting buggie and took off. I fine some blood but no hog. So off I go tracking the blood trail. I see her laying out in the open and just walk up to her. She jumps up and takes off running...we do that a couple more times and I start thinking we getting further away from my hunting rig. So the next time I get close to her I take off running and tackle her...don't have a locking blade knife, but I had it open when I jumped her...any way...another dead hog!

Then sitting at a feeder along a road...the wind was wrong so the ex-wife and I sat on the side on the road...being a coastal area all the roads are raised because of all the rain/water...she is set up facing the feeder on a bipod...I had an AR-15 sitting behind her. Well we have a huge boar come up the other side of the road...10 feet away...she couldn't turn so I raised the rifle put the cross hairs between the eyes and bang...down he goes...feet in the air running 100mph. I was fearful he would get his running gear under him so I pumped three more 55gr FMJ into his sternum...the squealing slowly went down to nothing, but it took some time! I save the skull on this beast because he was huge...bullet never exited...none in the sternum made it to the spine...tough critters!

The 1,300 miles doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that my wife's bladder is the size of a golf ball and my two youngest children are under 2 so we will have to stop at every rest area between SC and Boerne so my wife can pee and feed the kids. This trip is going to take FOREVER!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.