Holland Radial Muzzle Brake On XP-100 handgun

Does it have ports on top and none on bottom like the QD? Is it more effective in reducing recoil?

I have a JD Jones 375/284 with one of JD's brakes. It takes grizzle and moose. You don't want to shoot it for a long time,

flyfishn

ff,
Shooting the 7mm Dakota repeatedly is nothing with Holland's new Radial brake. You could shoot this specialty handgun back-to-back all day with out any issues (except to the barrel's throat:D).

Len,
I am sure it is.
I wish I had a light weight dakota handgun (4-6 pounds) with this brake. that would be an interesting comparison.

Ernie, I'm curious about something. I can understand carrying and shooting a handgun because of the weight reduction and ease of getting thru thick brush for hunting. What I'm curious about is why choose to shoot a handgun if it weighs 11 pounds? If that heavy, why not just use a rifle instead and reap the benefits of higher muzzle velocity? Just curious on your reasoning is all.

Ernie, I'm curious about something. I can understand carrying and shooting a handgun because of the weight reduction and ease of getting thru thick brush for hunting. What I'm curious about is why choose to shoot a handgun if it weighs 11 pounds? If that heavy, why not just use a rifle instead and reap the benefits of higher muzzle velocity? Just curious on your reasoning is all.

slymule,
That is a really good question.
Some of my other SP's are in the 4-6 pound range (one or two may be lighter). When I had Kirby build this I had multiple purposes for it: LR pd shooting, LR benchrest matches, and hunting. Plus, I didn't know what to expect recoil wise, so add to that some fear, since I planned to use high magnification riflescopes from the get-go.
Really what I need to do next is have a lightweight barrel for hunting, especially in the hills.
As far as why not use a rifle, is simply I like the challenge of shooting a specialty handgun over a rifle. For me, it is fun.

My other "heavy handgun" was specifically set-up for shooting LG at 1K BR matches. It is in the 16 pound class, jewel trigger/no safety, McMillan rear-grip stock. i also use it for pd shooting as well and popping steel.

"As far as why not use a rifle, is simply I like the challenge of shooting a specialty handgun over a rifle. For me, it is fun."

I figured it would be something along that line, after all thats the name of the game - whatever trips a guys trigger.

Curious about something else also. When you order a barrel that short, do they charge you less for it, and if not, do you just order it in what would be a more common rifle length so you could cut it in half and end up with two barrels for the price of one?

Depends on the barrel maker. You can usually get a barrel that will finish between 14-15 inches quite a bit cheaper. Typically, if you are going for a longer one then you are stuck paying a for a full blank.
Some barrel makers would prefer you not to take a full length blank and cut it in two, especially if they have lapped a choke into it. In other words, one may not shoot as good as the other.

You can by them from hollands but i called a couple of weeks ago and they said thay only have them made with the 3/4" thread right now. So if your barrel is big enough it will work

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.