muzzle brake on a browning a bolt

308longshot

I have a browning 7 mm rem mag that is very light and has a very long barrel (26 inch it appears). I believe it will beat the living snot out me when fired with full magnum loads. I am not a recoil wimp but prefer to send the beating down range. The diameter at the muzzle is only .600. It seems clear that a 5/8 x 24 thread is too large since the diameter is already smaller than that so the next logical step is 1/2 x 28. If the barrel is turned to .500 that only leaves a little over .100 on a side and even less after threading as the pitch diameter will be smaller yet. Can that even be safely done? Should it be done? The barrel is going to be so long to actually look a little goofy as it will look like a Kentucky long rifle with a brake on the end of it. Should I just suck it up and take the beating for the few shots taken with a hunting rifle? Your thoughts and insight are appreciated.

1024091042b.jpg

The rifle above has a muzzle diameter of .585" and my gunsmith was able to install a Holland QD MB without any problem.

Terry Miller, Terrys Gun Repair and Muzzle Brakes. He builds his own and installs them for $125. Makes them specifically for your barrel. One HELL of a gunsmith.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.