Bolt on Muzzle Brakes!!

I've shot 12 rds through it last weekend. It hasn't moved at all.My fit was very tight. I actually had to ( by the directions) insert one of the screws the other way and use an allen wrench in the slot to open it just slightly ( maybe 1/2 a turn on the screw) for it to slide on the last 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. Once i backed off that screw I couldn't move it by hand. Then I took it off again cleaned the end of the barrel and the break and yes added blue locktite and it sat over night before I shot. I will be shooting it again today sometime. I have to say that Joe from Witt was good. Because of a typo he took the time to call and E-mail me to make sure my dimensions were right. We talked on a Tuesday and I had it in the mailbox Saturday.

I've shot 12 rds through it last weekend. It hasn't moved at all.My fit was very tight. I actually had to ( by the directions) insert one of the screws the other way and use an allen wrench in the slot to open it just slightly ( maybe 1/2 a turn on the screw) for it to slide on the last 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. Once i backed off that screw I couldn't move it by hand. Then I took it off again cleaned the end of the barrel and the break and yes added blue locktite and it sat over night before I shot. I will be shooting it again today sometime. I have to say that Joe from Witt was good. Because of a typo he took the time to call and E-mail me to make sure my dimensions were right. We talked on a Tuesday and I had it in the mailbox Saturday.
Thanks bob4, sounds good! thanks again for the replies. Hope 2018 will be your best year ever.

Have seen some of these advertised but didn't think they would maybe stay on. Some actually look good, and have watched videos of them being used and the amount of recoil they decrease. Have seen damnation and praise for them. Has anyone on here actually tried one of them. Was thinking about possibly trying one on a 300 win. mag. that isn't threaded for a screw on brake. Thanks in advance.
Have seen some of these advertised but didn't think they would maybe stay on. Some actually look good, and have watched videos of them being used and the amount of recoil they decrease. Have seen damnation and praise for them. Has anyone on here actually tried one of them. Was thinking about possibly trying one on a 300 win. mag. that isn't threaded for a screw on brake. Thanks in advance.
I have a Witt brake on a 7mm Rem Mag with about 400 rounds through it and it's very secure. Witt custom machines them to your barrel specifications for a precise fit. I would say it reduced recoil 50-60%. Recoils about like my .243 Win or a bit lighter. If you don't have a threaded barrel, for the price it's a good option. I was getting a lot of emails for 25% off which puts you at about $75 for a custom machined brake.

The one video on Youtube where it flew off, the guy admittedly didn't not follow the installation instructions and use the Loctite.

Attachments

• 20170128_160654.jpg
    20170128_160654.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I have a Witt brake on a 7mm Rem Mag with about 400 rounds through it and it's very secure. Witt custom machines them to your barrel specifications for a precise fit. I would say it reduced recoil 50-60%. Recoils about like my .243 Win or a bit lighter. If you don't have a threaded barrel, for the price it's a good option. I was getting a lot of emails for 25% off which puts you at about $75 for a custom machined brake.

The one video on Youtube where it flew off, the guy admittedly didn't not follow the installation instructions and use the Loctite.
Thanks for the information.

Here is mine on a 300 WBY. Makes a big difference. Take your measurements carefully before you order.

Attachments

• 20170303_000550.jpg
    20170303_000550.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 82
I would almost be willing to bet most issues with these come from not so good measurements taken at home. I think I liked that mine had to be opened .001 or .002 for the last bit to fit. Then it was fairly tight before tightening screws and using Loctite.

Here is mine on a 300 WBY. Makes a big difference. Take your measurements carefully before you order.
I personally like the bigger than the barrel look better than the flush screw on type. But I just wanted to be sure that they were safe before buying one. I can only imagine what Witt has got to pay for liability insurance; or any gun manufacturer. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Thanks to all replies.

I had a Witt clamp break on my Tikka T3 hunter stainless in 30-06 and it worked well. I put about 75+ hot rounds through it then decided to thread the barrel for a suppressor.
My only issue was that the supplied screws were a bit soft.

About 150 rounds through my .300 WM (with the brake on), and I am 100% satisfied with my Witt Machine brake. As for appearances... Performance is what matters to me but I guess it looks like... a rifle with a muzzle brake? :rolleyes:

Will definitely do business with them again.

I have been using the Witt Machine break on my 7mm Rem Mag and have been very happy with it. Here is a link to the video comparison I did with and without the break installed. Not very scientific, but compelling nevertheless. I have had none of the problems I have read others have had. I am not sure if it is a quality control issue, user error (instillation and/or measuring and ordering), or both, but my experience has been flawless. I agree it is not the cleanest or appealing looking break, but it does the job.

I bought a Sako Finnbear in a 300 WM. It kicked the hell out of me. I put a micrometer on the barrel for measurements like WITT requested. Received the brake, installed with Loctite and torqued the screwed evenly, now it has the same recoil as my .243 and has very little barrel jump. Hundreds of rounds later, it still shoots sub MOA. Wonderful product.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.