Bolt on Muzzle Brakes!!

Buck Buster

Have seen some of these advertised but didn't think they would maybe stay on. Some actually look good, and have watched videos of them being used and the amount of recoil they decrease. Have seen damnation and praise for them. Has anyone on here actually tried one of them. Was thinking about possibly trying one on a 300 win. mag. that isn't threaded for a screw on brake. Thanks in advance.

Have seen some of these advertised but didn't think they would maybe stay on. Some actually look good, and have watched videos of them being used and the amount of recoil they decrease. Have seen damnation and praise for them. Has anyone on here actually tried one of them. Was thinking about possibly trying one on a 300 win. mag. that isn't threaded for a screw on brake. Thanks in advance.

Did you mean clamp on like the Witt Machine?

I cannot remember his name but there's a member that video taped his hunt with his wife using a Witt Machine MB. Perhaps if you search, you can find it.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Buck Buster,
Yes, I have. I bought a clamp-on in 2015 for my Savage 112 BVSS in .300WinMag. I could only shoot a couple of 3-shot groups and then I'd start to wince and flinch and this was with 180-190gn bullets.
I bought and installed it and immediately upon shooting it could feel a difference. I have since gone to loads in the 200gn+ range (210gn Berger & 212gn ELD-X) and it doesn't cause loose molars and brain hemorrhages.
I took it off the other day and installed it on my son's Remington 700P in 7mmRemMag. I shot it a month ago to check zero and 3 rounds of 150gn Ballistic Tips actually hurt. I must be getting old or just used to muzzle breaks because that used to be my rifle, and I loaded those bullets! (I killed a 350lb black bear with it at 15yds) Anyway, did load development with 169.5gn Wildcats and RL26. I shot about 20rds through it and the thing purred like a kitten. I found a good load for him but the break stays with me! He's young and can handle it. :)
I'd say go for it. I don't regret buying mine and I don't think it's ugly. My rifles are all heavy barrel jobs anyway. JohnnyK.

My buddy put a Witt Machine "clamp on" brake on his Kimber air-weight rifle that kicked like a mule. The brake provided a significant reduction in recoil and muzzle jump.

They're a bit fugly, especially on an air-weight rifle. On a heavy rifle they don't look much worse than any other efficient brake.

GrizzlyGunworks
I have three of them. They work great! He will make them out of aluminum or stainless steel. Finished however you want.
My avatar photo has my 308 with one. I have another on my 300wby. Both clamp on brakes

Did you mean clamp on like the Witt Machine?

I cannot remember his name but there's a member that video taped his hunt with his wife using a Witt Machine MB. Perhaps if you search, you can find it.

Cheers!

I don't think that was the name of the one I saw a video of, but yes they are screwed fast like the one you have listed. Are they safe ?

They are safe as there isn't much that can go wrong. Witt Machine Co. machines them to tight tolerances but you should put the Loctite on as they say.
I took mine off a couple months after I had installed it. Not necessary as you can clean it with it on the rifle. So I took it off and cleaned up all the dried Loctite on the barrel and cleaned/soaked the unit in Sea Foam (great at removing carbon ring from your barrel also) and when I re-installed it I did not put Loctite on.
A week later at my next range session, I had two or three rifles in addition to the .300 that I was working with, so I only shot the .300 twice at 100yds to verify zero. I returned home hours later and discovered the brake missing. I returned to the spot and started walking from where I had shot it and 25-30yds beyond lay the brake. All I can figure is that it blew off with the second shot because I didn't notice an increase in velocity and both shots were touching. Live and learn. I keep Loctite on'er now. :) JohnnyK.

Thanks to all of you who answered my question. And thanks for the videos FEENIX, after watching them I think that they are the ones I saw before. I think they look neat. As long as they are safe I may try one. I also have a 308 Norma but that is a heavy bench gun and is a ***** cat. Thanks again to all. Hope you all have a real good 2018.

They are safe as there isn't much that can go wrong. Witt Machine Co. machines them to tight tolerances but you should put the Loctite on as they say.
I took mine off a couple months after I had installed it. Not necessary as you can clean it with it on the rifle. So I took it off and cleaned up all the dried Loctite on the barrel and cleaned/soaked the unit in Sea Foam (great at removing carbon ring from your barrel also) and when I re-installed it I did not put Loctite on.
A week later at my next range session, I had two or three rifles in addition to the .300 that I was working with, so I only shot the .300 twice at 100yds to verify zero. I returned home hours later and discovered the brake missing. I returned to the spot and started walking from where I had shot it and 25-30yds beyond lay the brake. All I can figure is that it blew off with the second shot because I didn't notice an increase in velocity and both shots were touching. Live and learn. I keep Loctite on'er now. :) JohnnyK.
So you think the only reason it flew off was because of no Loctite being applied ?

I've just put a Witt break on my 300 WM. I don't think it looks bad and the recoil reduction I am thrilled with. I would buy another.

I've just put a Witt break on my 300 WM. I don't think it looks bad and the recoil reduction I am thrilled with. I would buy another.
How many shots have you shot with it on? Also did you use Loctite, and did it move any? Thank you very much in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.