Bullet Construction vs Lethality

Hi Steve,

When do you plan to adjust your advertised "estimated" BCs to the Oehler values you say you've been collecting? Any legitimate goal/timeline for that? Perhaps Applied Ballistics could be sent some more Hammers?
Just need time. Hopefully next month we will have enough rain to drop fire restrictions. Gotta go with the kids this labor day weekend!

The estimated bc's are based on form factor and shot at distance over lots of shooting sessions.

Yes we need to get out with the Oehler and spend time at distance.

Last edited:
i shoot off a phoenix bi pod and protek bag. Its no harder too shoot it then my 22 creedmoor with that ti pro. I wasn't really into the norma much honestly i was all lapua. But 250's out run the 300 bergers. And the recoil is so much less. But i shoot a lot of lapua, 33xc 37xc and going to the norma was a serious shock. But most pro shooters shoot more then 3 shot groups for records and dont shoot in best condition.

Last edited:
How does a bullet with good enough BC, and light enough construction to open up at 1k, perform at 50 yards when a critter walks out from a tree line? Or….are you gonna wait until it gets out to 600+ yards so that whiz-bang 1k yard bullet doesn't vaporize at warp speed up close?

I think this argument can be quickly narrowed by identifying those projectiles that will perform equally well at 10 yards as they do at 1000 yards. Then…find an appropriate cartridge that keeps that bullet at or above the manufacturer's minimum velocity for acceptable terminal performance at 1000 yards.

How does a bullet with good enough BC, and light enough construction to open up at 1k, perform at 50 yards when a critter walks out from a tree line? Or….are you gonna wait until it gets out to 600+ yards so that whiz-bang 1k yard bullet doesn't vaporize at warp speed up close?

I think this argument can be quickly narrowed by identifying those projectiles that will perform equally well at 10 yards as they do at 1000 yards. Then…find an appropriate cartridge that keeps that bullet at or above the manufacturer's minimum velocity for acceptable terminal performance at 1000 yards.

I have addressed this more times than I can remember!

I think that the users of these have perfected the "reverse stalk"…..or refuse to talk of the failures! Plus…..they always get perfect broadside shots! 😂😂😂

That said, I think that anyone would be hard pressed to find the bullet that performs great at both extremes…..unless you can get a special order from The Magic Bullet Co.! 😉 memtb

Gday Steve
I've never asked this question but heard from a very reliable source that gives me confidence it's not just selling that enters your mind

So how many forms of copper did you guys play with & sent to the metal recycling facility before setting on the one you use now
Just rough numbers not worried to much with actual in this case

For others a little snippet of what I'm referring to in the above is
Steve & Brian came out to Aussie to do some testing ( & more than likely to see I wasn't full of $h-t lol )
& I'll stay with true solids for now & exclude the hht ( although it's more applicable to more people imo but another day )

In the .510 cal from 400 gr to 570 gr the true solid was absolutely useless in my eyes yet not one animal made it more than 15 /20 yard yet most bangflop ( bovines my wild dog didn't like them 😜& didn't put up any resistance 🤣 )
So what was the outcome I'll not bore anyone with those details but dead is not just dead & until one understands that you will never get a better pill from any company & why we have to be careful on listening to their recommendations yes I'll stand by that 100% or is it a case of dead is dead to them mmmmm I'll let the individual decide that

on talking in the field & over a couple cold ones I saw that these solids were never going to hit the market phew & many discussions on alloys were had & still ongoing between Steve & Brian no doubt ( I hope so ) the company they had already got the green light to send to we're told they needed to work on the alloy so they would not be receiving solids until they worked out a better alloy

So it is why I asked the first bit to Steve as it's not just spinning a pill up regardless of what the alloy does it's finding one that has the widest possible window for the wider community now this is extremely difficult

But we as individuals can also learn to not take what some of these companies preach & a way better source is our fellow hunter just not the ones that dead is dead & the ones that speak the truth are hard to find also

Thanks to the ones that clear their heads & push / try to get a even better pill

Cheers

Honestly if you cant shoot under half moa at 1000 you shouldn't be shooting at animals that far very easy to be gut shot and no bullet will do you a favor there. I can shoot smaller with bergers and a tips then i have with any other bullet and ive loaded them all in many different guns. Ive had issues killing with certain bullets that i wont name because a couple duds isn't enough data to label them terrible when ive had a few great kills with same bullets. But on paper they dont shoot as good for me as the other two have. But i might expect more then most hard sayn
Your joking right?

i shoot off a phoenix bi pod and protek bag. Its no harder too shoot it then my 22 creedmoor with that ti pro. I wasn't really into the norma much honestly i was all lapua. But 250's out run the 300 bergers. And the recoil is so much less. But i shoot a lot of lapua, 33xc 37xc and going to the norma was a serious shock. But most pro shooters shoot more then 3 shot groups for records and dont shoot in best condition.
Half moa off of a bipod and a bag at a K ?

I'd argue the partition was darn near perfect until we add distance over 500 yards or lead bans. Made a believer out of me since my youth. Soft enough to expand but tough enough to push and retain mass. But they have a less than stellar ballistic coefficient. Back a decade and a half ago you could get sps partitions really cheap in seconds form. For kicks and giggles we shot ground squirrels with a 7 rum loaded with partitions(had a barrel that shot them well and nothing else all that stellar) the misgivings in bc showed up as range increased and much more so as the wind progressed.

Truth be told each bullet has an application, i prefer a frames in only Moose and bear territory. I skew towards lighter jacket higher b.c. bullets as the Bears go to sleep or I'm hunting in areas with low bear interaction.

Heck in the 338 heydeys we saw in the early 2000s I saw a lot of 300 grain smk bullets harvest game. Doesn't mean I'd recommend all smks for Cow elk or white tail, just that a large mass of lead at the proper impact range can be very effective. Same could probably be said for bergers. Doesn't mean it's a good choice to harvest your next Brown bear with one in your 6mn creed....

Our forefathers hunted with much less tech for man years. Bullet tech will always be second to bullet placement.
The key contribution of the Nosler partition was that the partitioned jacket protected the soft lead shank from deformation and splatter, thus limiting weight loss. That alone improved penetration considerably. For short range work they were a huge improvement over non-partitioned lead core bullets. C110 copper is considerably harder than lead and less ductile, as a result it is not as brittle as brass or steel but has a density sufficient to make bullets of a mass close to lead. Consequently copper bullets made out of C110 or gilding copper alloys these bullets to behave in a manner similar to the Partition bullet but without the two compartment jacket. Additionally, the copper bullets can be made to have boat tails which reduces tail drag significantly, thus the higher BCs and all the attendant advantages of increased effective range and less wind drift.