Bullet Construction vs Lethality

nralifer

I'm starting this thread to discuss issues regarding the materials, design and construction of rifle hunting bullets in so far as it relates to lethality, which, for the purposes of the thread, will be defined as the ability of the bullet to penetrate deeply at any impact angle or distance up to 1000 yds to reach vital organs and effect a one shot kill rapidly. Factors to consider are BC, ductility of bullet material, caliber, muzzle velocity, accuracy (<1MOA), weight retention, type of expansion ( petal vs mushrooming vs explosive vs petal shedding).

Skip the popcorn boys! I'm digging out the MREs for this one! 😆

I personally think terminal ballistics of a bullet outweigh the BC aspect of a bullet. I know BC is a part of the equation, but I bullet drop test my stuff before the hunt. You know, like enter the data into the ballistics calculator and then shoot it and see what differences are observable.

The "penetrate deeply at angle angle to reach vital organs" is a tough one. If you look at ballistic gel testing, I've never seen a bullet with a truly LONG and WIDE wound cavity. Some penetrate a ways before opening up, some open up sooner…but either way the length of that maximum wound cavity is a real limiting factor.

It does me no good to shoot a bull or buck quartering away hard, and have the bullet exit the front of the animal but the wound cavity through the vitals is narrow. Experienced this the hard way on a whitetail that gave me a very long tracking job.

Let us know when you find the magic bullet; I don't believe it exists.

I think you know the answer already. You haven't mentioned caliber and velocity yet, Barnes/GMX=penetration, SST/BT=expansion, Partition/Accubond/A-Frame/Scirroco/Interbond=both. This argument/discussion could last a lifetime, the bullet manufacturers have done so much research and given us such a choice it's overwhelming.

I think that perhaps I would need a clear definition of "kill rapidly"!

Unless the hunter is hunting a very small parcel surrounded by private property ….most big game can cover 100 yards in only a matter of seconds!

For DRT, this usually requires a CNS shot, or a relatively small big game animal…..while avoiding any raking shots (deep penetration required) or hitting heavy bone!

As mentioned…..there aren't any magic bullets! memtb

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

I'm starting this thread to discuss issues regarding the materials, design and construction of rifle hunting bullets in so far as it relates to lethality, which, for the purposes of the thread, will be defined as the ability of the bullet to penetrate deeply at any impact angle or distance up to 1000 yds to reach vital organs and effect a one shot kill rapidly. Factors to consider are BC, ductility of bullet material, caliber, muzzle velocity, accuracy (<1MOA), weight retention, type of expansion ( petal vs mushrooming vs explosive vs petal shedding).
When are you going to tell us about the bullets you make, why they're the best and why everything else sucks?

I like @lancetkenyon stance on this, bullet "X" for <XXX range and bullet "Y" for >YYY range.

Catch 22 has the right idea. He recognized the effect of the material the bullet is made of as well as construction as related to penetration. Additionally he recognizes how the partioning of the lead core with a two compartment jacket improves penetration. Bonding is better than no bonding but I have used Sirocco bullets, which are not partitioned, with disappointing results (poor penetration). Have had the same complaint from members of the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation using other bonded high BC bullets. Apparently the bonding failed. I have done a lot of gel testing in 10% gel. It is an OK first approximation of post impact behavior, but it is easier on the bullet than an actual animal. It is a good medium to test expansion at low speed though.