Bullet Construction vs Lethality

How much penetration do you believe is needed to kill animals? Two feet? Three feet?

If shot broadside…..your "piddly" 15.5" is awsome!

But to more directly answer your question…..a mature bull moose of decent size should easily go over 70 inches in body length. A mature bull elk of respectable size should easily exceed 54 inches in body length!

I never assume the perfect broadside shot……your hunting conditions may vary! I only wish that everything I've hunted was so accommodating! 😉 memtb

How much penetration do you believe is needed to kill animals? Two feet? Three feet?
Gday wyo37
Please update your own question with a little broader statement to include different animals the resistance of these critters then the angles that happen in the field
Then you may get a better answer but then it's not just full penertration it's the pills effective wound channel

Not having a go just need to discuss properly to get a proper answer
Cheers

If shot broadside…..your "piddly" 15.5" is awsome!

But to more directly answer your question…..a mature bull moose of decent size should easily go over 70 inches in body length. A mature bull elk of respectable size should easily exceed 54 inches in body length!

I never assume the perfect broadside shot……your hunting conditions may vary! I only wish that everything I've hunted was so accommodating! 😉 memtb
Ok well I am not advocating anyone shoot anything in the butt with any cartridge/bullet combination.

You can, I wont. Also no reason to be a jerk about it either, but that's you're m.o.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok well I am not advocating anyone shoot anything in the butt with any cartridge/bullet combination.

You can, I wont. Also no reason to be a jerk about it either, but that's you m.o.

A shot just forward of the hind leg will require much more than you're 15.5" of penetration to destroy the vitals on a large, big game animal! I wiil and have taken that shot very effectively…..taking-out the offside shoulder!

And if I were trying to be a jerk…..I would mention that you failed to place the 're on "you're" ! 🤔 😉 😂 memtb

Last edited:
I believe several people already mentioned how gel is not a direct reflection on what you'd see on an animal. That's a fact.

So that 15.5" of penetration on the 10% gel gives us an idea of what that bullet may be capable of, but it doesn't mean that's all the penetration you'd get on an animal. It also doesn't mean you'll get that much either. It will depend, and on all the things already mentioned.

A shot just forward of the hind leg will require much more than you're 15.5" of penetration to destroy the vitals on a large, big game animal! I wiil and have taken that shot very effectively…..taking-out the offside shoulder!

And if I were trying to be a jerk…..I would mention that you failed to place the ' re on "you're" ! 🤔 😉 😂 memtb

I understand that you don't understand, it's OK. I provided data. You got emotional. That's fine I suppose.

I will keep using heavy for caliber eldm's and continue to kill animals. You do whatever it is you do. (I'm guessing live on the internet and prolifically use emojis)

Honestly if you cant shoot under half moa at 1000 you shouldn't be shooting at animals that far very easy to be gut shot and no bullet will do you a favor there. I can shoot smaller with bergers and a tips then i have with any other bullet and ive loaded them all in many different guns. Ive had issues killing with certain bullets that i wont name because a couple duds isn't enough data to label them terrible when ive had a few great kills with same bullets. But on paper they dont shoot as good for me as the other two have. But i might expect more then most hard sayn
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment in this thread but here goes. How about consistent .5 moa cold bore shots in varying conditions?

What the heck. I can tell you, unequivocally, bullet material has everything to do with terminal performance. You can't score or broach an inferior raw material into working better than a superior material. You can only try to make the inferior material work better. It can't be machined to work as well as a superior raw material. I've tried. A mono shedding bullet is not equivalent every mono shedding bullet. How it sheds and what the retained shank is shaped like make a huge difference in terminal performance. Everything works good in gel. It is the most ideal media to test on. There is no substitute for animal testing to find a bullets weakness. Then figure out how to compensate for that. I'll stop there unless asked questions.

What the heck. I can tell you, unequivocally, bullet material has everything to do with terminal performance. You can't score or broach an inferior raw material into working better than a superior material. You can only try to make the inferior material work better. It can't be machined to work as well as a superior raw material. I've tried. A mono shedding bullet is not equivalent every mono shedding bullet. How it sheds and what the retained shank is shaped like make a huge difference in terminal performance. Everything works good in gel. It is the most ideal media to test on. There is no substitute for animal testing to find a bullets weakness. Then figure out how to compensate for that. I'll stop there unless asked questions.
Oh, and I own and operate Hammer Bullets since the day of conception.

I dont settle on a load unless it repeats i also dont settle for a .5 unless its 10 rounds
How many hrs between shots? Days? At 1000y?

Not being smart. I don't think anyone could shoot a 10 shot group in ten days, one shot per day at 1000y and hold .5 moa. Then throw in a sub 8 lb rifle as a qualifier.

Recent Posts