Bullet Construction vs Lethality

Amount of money and time i spend behind my rifle shooting nothing's worse then getting that critter at 100 yards lol like **** i shoulda built a muzzleloader

And for me, there's nothing worse than a wounded animal because I misread atmospheric condition, or the animal decided to move as the shooter's brain was sending a signal to the trigger finger. The distance an inspired animal can move in the bullets flight time can go from a perfect shot to a wounded animal. And, at that distance…..the animal may not show any evidence of a hit before disappearing from sight! memtb

Twas not intended to be a slam at all but I can see how it could be "slamming" haha, and I do enter this conversation with some pre-existing experience with these kind of "just wondering" conversations and won't hesitate to call bull on some things should they come up yet again (such as the Nosler partition being the effect bullet it is only because of the copper partition: the soft lead needs credit too!)

I have no beef with nralifer or badlands bullets whatsoever, if at some point they ship to Canada I might give them a shot just to see. And they're not the only company or cult following to imagine that lead is inferior in every way…it isnt…

I will only say this, SD trumps BC every time when a poorly constructed bullet is used. I will not mention brands, but certain bullets DO NOT hold up well at long range and perform poorly, even though the interweb warrior will show ONE video where it worked flawlessly but negates to show the failures.
End of discussion…

Cheers.

I never mentioned petals…. and yes those do perform quite well. And yes again, once the petals are removed the wound channel is narrow is somewhat reduced because of mass loss!

That said, I'll take a minimally expanded bullet, of large diameter that retains all or most of it's mass over a small diameter bullet that sheds a great deal of mass….even with it's large, initial wound channel!

I'm saying your wrong…..that's merely my perspective! memtb
No, you didn't mention petals. I did because I felt as though they were pertinent in my response as an example.

And I get you're saying I'm wrong, but I'm still not getting the how or why part.

I will only say this, SD trumps BC every time when a poorly constructed bullet is used. I will not mention brands, but certain bullets DO NOT hold up well at long range and perform poorly, even though the interweb warrior will show ONE video where it worked flawlessly but negates to show the failures.
End of discussion…

Cheers.
SD? I am having a bald moment because I can only think Standard Deviation...LOL

"ELD Match bullet with Heat Shield tip delivers excellent terminal performance and results in higher retained velocities, less drop, less wind drift"- straight from Hornady's website (they also have more substrate materials like steel, wallboard, and auto glass).
Put a 147gr eldm....or a 168gr, 108gr, 106, 140, etc in the front half of a critter and you'll kill it.
Screenshot_20230827_181351_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"ELD Match bullet with Heat Shield tip delivers excellent terminal performance and results in higher retained velocities, less drop, less wind drift"
Put a 147gr eldm....or a 168gr, 108gr, 106, 140, etc in the front half of a critter and you'll kill it.
View attachment 489350
Well, Ol boy dropped this white hot, thread stopper right here and meow! 😻😹

Gday
Didn't take long to revert back but I'll add what I typed & then let some of you lot get into your pathetic games
& I honestly think it's they love friction in their lives not helping & learning oh well that's my rant now what I typed follows

Clear ones head is the first part

Optimal comes to my mind & what I like to work with but only by seeing the coin from the other side we can understand both sides

The consistency of the pill across the following

Impact velocity
Velocity brackets
Velocity windows
Resistances
Angles

By addressing those you find the Weaknesses of the triangle some talk about ( if you look , not use the oh it's dead so who cares as all pills will eventually kill although some a painful death & some critters die from old age & I am deadly serious on that )

Gel is a aid /visual but WILL not give you consistent results that occur in critters across where we impact them in field conditions

drt or bangflop hmm isn't it easier with impact to tip as no interpretation then 🤷‍♂️

The Bubble & Pop go a long way to determining a great pill but the shapecharge is where it starts ( I note some call it other things well they believe they understand as that I'm yet to be convinced of as they fail to clear ones head but yes a lot of those terminology hold water but just looking @ a pill weather you put it in gel or cut it & I don't want to single one out but Brad has hit the nail on the head yes get the microscope out )
Just watch the humble 22lr & us in Aussie had a magnificent round that would kill extremely well yet once the lead composition changed this pill ended up as a very mediocre pill now yet everything else remains the same
Move to centre fire pills
& it's no different regardless of c&c or mono

The ability of the material is the biggest contributor to a pill effectiveness across the velocity window when you take the whole picture into account well that's from a person who can't place with a 100% certainty the shot exactly where I want ea time which is my trigger skills yep & animal behaviour then climatic conditions
So I don't preach like some do on how good they are so I'll leave the ones who can do that %100 alone as we are 2 different people so better off not commenting to ea other imo

The material that ea company chooses to use is one that is so important yet I still see people look @ it from the trees not the wood in them scenario but most companies have a bad habit of not telling the truth as they would rather sell

That's what showed from the few brands I've tested 😜 yes both c&c & mono with various styles of ea
No doubt my days of testing are coming to a end but I've got a thought that may happen but really I'm unsure @ present for my own reasons

Look forward to seeing who is looking @ the wood in the trees

Cheers

"ELD Match bullet with Heat Shield tip delivers excellent terminal performance and results in higher retained velocities, less drop, less wind drift"- straight from Hornady's website (they also have more substrate materials like steel, wallboard, and auto glass).
View attachment 489350

WOW…..a whole 15.5"! 😂 memtb

Recent Posts