12 gauge salt loads for bears

Montana game and fish is closed today (Duh,I forgot) so no reply but folks in the area where my brother in law lives has said fish and game told them when they had nuisance bears or mountain lions do not shoot anything at them.Go indoors and call us.They may need to buy one of those bear proof trash bins.
What's this bear interested in? Is there trash out? Livestock? Pets? Kids? And what is the property like? Those flash bangs would probably give a bear nightmares if they tripped them. Not something you can really deploy in most cases at home. If it's a black bear looking for easy food then just ruining its experience with moth balls, ammonia, or your favorite Trinidad scorpion sauce is probably enough to send it back to finding natural food. Nobody wants to cripple a bear if they can help it and just because they get stung by something non lethal doesn't mean they give up the urge. Trapped and relocated bears often just do the same things in new places on their way back to their old places.

I watched a boar 300 pounds literally rip the door off a sea shipping container we used to store mineral/ molasses block for cattle and horses in and someone had the bright idea to try some kind of ghost pepper hot sauce liberally doused a block as a suprise...oh yeah ! Bear was so surprised he was gobbling the block down like a pregnant lady eating dill pickles and strawberry ice cream like no tomorrow.....bears are omnivores anything and everything...

Hey! How about a bag of these babies...?
'Pepper X' is now officially the world's hottest chili pepper, rating at an average of 2,693,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU).

Well, it could work. 🤔 ;)

1700786523212.png

I watched a boar 300 pounds literally rip the door off a sea shipping container we used to store mineral/ molasses block for cattle and horses in and someone had the bright idea to try some kind of ghost pepper hot sauce liberally doused a block as a suprise...oh yeah ! Bear was so surprised he was gobbling the block down like a pregnant lady eating dill pickles and strawberry ice cream like no tomorrow.....bears are omnivores anything and everything...
Should send that bear to the research center in west Yellowstone for container testing. He sounds like a real overachiever. Or loooooves sweet and spicy! 🤣

I swear some of those bears and raccoons have masters degrees in how to get around everything we do to keep them out of the garbage, the feed you name it...

In our parks we have bear proof garbage cans.
They have heavy steel lids, and an awkward latch to open, for humans. Bears walk up to them, opening the lids quickly and easily, but person after person struggles. It is actually humorous to watch.

In our parks we have bear proof garbage cans.
They have heavy steel lids, and an awkward latch to open, for humans. Bears walk up to them, opening the lids quickly and easily, but person after person struggles. It is actually humorous to watch.
I visited that research center years ago, maybe 6-7? They had coastal brown yearlings there from a sow that got out down in AK for killing a person or two if I remember right. One yearling had defeated just about every container they let him try. Peeled back steel lids on "bear dumpster" like it was aluminum with those big ol canopener paws. It was impressive.

I've loaded some clean graded weat into what was originally remington international target load 7.5 shot.

Works a treat on big rats in the hay shed and doesn't blow holes in the roof/walls.

I've never been a fan of salt in my barrel, even on the old Boito single barrel snake gun that gets a hiding.

I've loaded some clean graded weat into what was originally remington international target load 7.5 shot.

Works a treat on big rats in the hay shed and doesn't blow holes in the roof/walls.

I've never been a fan of salt in my barrel, even on the old Boito single barrel snake gun that gets a hiding.
Oh that's clever about the rats! Good idea

My brother in law and sister in law have a bear problem.The bear keeps coming around and brother in law wants me to load him some rock salt in 12 gauge loads.
While I have loaded shot gun loads for many years I have never loaded rock salt.
Anyone care to share their loads,wads and any advice on powder.
Thanks
Old Rooster
A good old fashioned 1 ounce slug will do the trick just fine.