12 gauge salt loads for bears

I told my brother in law to ask about the rubber projectiles.I'll report what they say.
Yeah, great... I would be very interested in the outcome. I'm not big on causing any real wounds on Bears, they seem to take it personally, and on the next person they come across in many cases. Hurt Bears are bad JuJu. Cheers

My brother in law and sister in law have a bear problem.The bear keeps coming around and brother in law wants me to load him some rock salt in 12 gauge loads.
While I have loaded shot gun loads for many years I have never loaded rock salt.
Anyone care to share their loads,wads and any advice on powder.
Thanks
Old Rooster
Don't do it!!!

I am sure the DNR has the better ways to deter Bears. Shooting a Dangerous Game Animal with Salt, Birdshot might only wound the animal. Then a chance of infection and the animal getting very ill. No telling what a sick/ill injured animal will do.
If you are going to shoot an animal-shoot to kill and not wound. If there are proven accepted deterrents from the DNR then use them. DNR can capture the Bear and relocate. The mention of "Bean Bags" " Rubber Bullets" may prove effective.
Personally I would not wound a dangerous animal to get them to leave my property.

When I was a kid we had low lifes that would steal anything,mostly chickens and ducks.My neighbor shot one person with rock salt and the problem went away.
As mentioned you can't load rock salt at high velocity as it will just turn to liquid so anything beyond 15-20 yards would not even break the skin on an animal.I am told fish and game still don't like it as it may damage an eye and I would hate that but rubber projectiles will do that too so my brother in law is still waiting for a call from fish and game,most likely tomorrow.He has a neighbor that got a bear tag for a nuisance bear some years back and made a beautiful rug with the hide and donated the meat to a local "feed the people that hold up signs place".They refuse to work but will hold that sign all day long!
I like Vince Mule's idea of moth balls.

Good point Pdyson,I will ask if he still has his pepper spray.He bought a fresh container last year or the year before as he came out of his shop and just felt something behind him,turned around and a young blackie was just walking behind him like he was their pet.The bear turned and slowly walked away with no problems.

Recent Posts