12 gauge salt loads for bears

Looks like these are back to available to the general public, was a pita for a few years there.

Looked up bean bag rounds current price... way to much. I'd be doing rubber buckshot.

One of the old guys that lives near our cabin shoots anything he deems a pest with rubber buck shot (Moose, bear, big neighbor dogs in his yard).

Being charged and fined is muuuch more expensive, if you wound and injure wildlife. Beanbag rounds less chance of that with no experience.

When I was a kid we had low lifes that would steal anything,mostly chickens and ducks.My neighbor shot one person with rock salt and the problem went away.
As mentioned you can't load rock salt at high velocity as it will just turn to liquid so anything beyond 15-20 yards would not even break the skin on an animal.I am told fish and game still don't like it as it may damage an eye and I would hate that but rubber projectiles will do that too so my brother in law is still waiting for a call from fish and game,most likely tomorrow.He has a neighbor that got a bear tag for a nuisance bear some years back and made a beautiful rug with the hide and donated the meat to a local "feed the people that hold up signs place".They refuse to work but will hold that sign all day long!
I like Vince Mule's idea of moth balls.
I heard the same stories when I was a kid 60 years ago. Had a farmer shoot at us for taking some corn out of the field. Not rock salt, he just shot bird shot in the air. The Rock salt myth is a bunch of BS.
when we went camping or up to the swimming hole we would always grab a few stalks of corn to eat (off of the farmers fields) soak in water and put in a fire to cook.
All the farmers that had "Sweet Corn" planted would plant Cow Corn the first few rows of corn next to the roads. The kids stealing it got "COW CORN" not the good stuff.

We use bean bag rounds as direct fire against black bears, the rubber buck shot we bounce off the ground in front of the bear at the recommendation of the CO and only use it in direct fire should it be too close to prevent any serious injury to the bear. With buck shot and slugs as back up.

You can buy rubber slugs too but they come with minimum range restrictions on them, usually have the wrong one in the tube when you find the nuisance bear around the pens.
I used to buy the little rubber bouncy balls and load them in a shotgun shell to run critters out of the yard.

In the way back machine we did guard duty for engineers in the village, they gave us all manner of less lethal. Bags were pretty a pretty brutal thump if memory serves me correctly. Like an oz or so in a sack. Dunno how far the rubber pellets would sting, would guess they were a close range item.

One outfit here carried some rubber slugs that put a little more thump, but haven't seen them on the shelf for years.

Fortunately in my neck of the woods, true problem Bears just get shot....

Did have a friend years ago kill a bear with less lethal on an absolute fluke, said between the paperwork and meetings he'd of rather been eaten by the bear.

A can of Bear spray wrapped in Bacon works wonders I hear.......a couple of those and they'll probably move on less spicy food sources. I played with salt loads for a 410 shotgun but never got anything satisfying. Someone mentioned a arrow, this can be extremely effective, I've wrapped a blunt with electric tape until it fits in a 12 gauge hull, than more tape on the hull to cover the rim and give a little more cushion. It kept deer off Mom's rose bushes and in the orchard where they belong. Another thing I'd mention, these ideas seem more effective if the animal doesn't make a connection to humans- IE, "I get smacked ever time I go by the rose bush" vs "I get wacked everytime I see a human"

I have used the .375 H&H -.416 Rigby Bear control solution here at home and while at a families place and for more than just a black bear ...no such thing as over kill...it's just that our local Dnr prefers capture and relocate and I don't like the extra paper work kill permits generate.

Montana game and fish is closed today (Duh,I forgot) so no reply but folks in the area where my brother in law lives has said fish and game told them when they had nuisance bears or mountain lions do not shoot anything at them.Go indoors and call us.They may need to buy one of those bear proof trash bins.

These work better good we've used them a couple of times in Alaska along with an electrified Bear fence... The flashbang is pretty bright and loud! Just a thought. Cheers

1700782377533.png

Recent Posts