12 gauge salt loads for bears

Montana game and fish is closed today (Duh,I forgot) so no reply but folks in the area where my brother in law lives has said fish and game told them when they had nuisance bears or mountain lions do not shoot anything at them.Go indoors and call us.They may need to buy one of those bear proof trash bins.
I would be curious to see if a air horn you buy for boats would be effective. I would think they would hurt the bears hearing momentarily. I keep one on my 4 wheeler for emergencies. Should the 4 wheeler roll over on top of me. I have yet to try it on a bear.

I would be curious to see if a air horn you buy for boats would be effective. I would think they would hurt the bears hearing momentarily. I keep one on my 4 wheeler for emergencies. Should the 4 wheeler roll over on top of me. I have yet to try it on a bear.
I will tell him about that,good idea.

If it was a repeated problem on my land, I would shoot it dead. Package the meat and donate it to a food shelter unless you like bear meat. As for the bear skin I'd have a tanner make a good floor rug for me. Tring to scare the bear off with rock salt or rubber bullets will only get you or someone else hurt or dead.

Grey Goast the problem with that is he does not have a bear tag.Montana Game and fish has told his neighbor a few years ago,unless there is imminent danger to life do not shoot anything at the bear,call us.
He is trying to get a nuisance bear tag as we speak and if he gets it I will go to his house and help him skin it as his health is not good at all.
Edit to add:He has a neighbor that is a retired game warden that acts as a spy for the area.Each place has 20 acres of land but is watched by the X game warden.I was typing as you were ,sorry about that

Grey Goast the problem with that is he does not have a bear tag.Montana Game and fish has told his neighbor a few years ago,unless there is imminent danger to life do not shoot anything at the bear,call us.
He is trying to get a nuisance bear tag as we speak and if he gets it I will go to his house and help him skin it as his health is not good at all.
Edit to add:He has a neighbor that is a retired game warden that acts as a spy for the area.Each place has 20 acres of land but is watched by the X game warden.I was typing as you were ,sorry about that
I see the position he is in thank you. .

Not a problem buddy.When brother in law was healthy he would reload and target practice and get game and fish bothering him asking to see inside his freezers thinking he was taking animals out of season.Thank you mr x game warden!
This is the first bear problem in several years now so it's not an ongoing problem.He will get a bear tag next year and get that bear if he can't get a tag this year.
Have a great day Grey Goast

Sort of the problem every farm ranch private individuals is encountering, we have an issue, an entity has a policy set by someone in an ivory tower over there, who won't ever have to deal with a bear ,possibly in your back porch or calving shed or granary or near your kids......but oh just go somewhere secure and call us, we will come out and deal with it, I want an option now, not wait 3 hours or 2 days.

I personally prefer trap and relocate, they take them out to the middle of nowhere, and we truly have nowhere here, because it usually is a young bear just kicked off mama or just before winter, but if it is a clear threat then I have the means and the ability to deal with it, then it's done.

We lost some calves and a couple smaller steers to a Cougar, which are very rare here, we are in the historic range, we had to fight tooth and nail, for compensation. A smug ....... person came down and told us that we had no claim, I told that person that if a fictional cougar had killed our animals, then she would have no problem with me hunting it down and bringing in and laying its dead carcass on her desk. She looked at shocked and said "You can't do that! It's against the law!" To which I of course said if there is no cougar there shouldn't be a problem.

We got our compensation.

20 acre lots are so small, everyone else around will know your business.
Anything less than a section is too small for any sort of privacy, and even then, just one section isn't very much land. Going to prison for shooting a bear, seems like a silly reason to be behind bars. At least get thrown in prison for doing something fun, if at all.

I talked to my brother in law a couple of hours ago and he got his bear tag so if the bear comes back I will get a call to help load it or clean it.He said he may have it skinned and meat donated as his health is pretty bad.By the way game and fish says DO NOT SHOOT SALT OR BIRD SHOT AT THEIR BEARS,call them and they will handle it.
Thanks for everyone's comments and advice.
Old Rooster

My friend has a home in the Poconos (NY). Bears are everywhere and are seen on residential property regularly. All the garbage cans are in bear-resistant contraptions, but the bears keep coming. It doesn't seem like the local govt has any interest in removing the nuisance bears. Sometimes you just have to manage them as best as you can.

My sister in law,the wife's sister said the bear was groaning while lunging for their small dog.
Poor dog can't go outside for the call of nature.They are calling montana game and fish to see if salt loads are ok to use.
Carrie Hunt of the Wind River Institute (https://beardogs.org/ ) in Florence, MT, uses Karelian Bear Dogs for bear (black, brown, and polar) and cougar conflict management. MT, WA, Canada, Alaska, Japan, and other states and countries also use them.

Thor, my Karelian Bear Dog, is now 14 and has been an excellent companion when I am hiking and camping in the wilderness.

Good luck!

Rubber buckshot......Have them call their local DWFP or whatever and ask if they have any for free. Here, they give it to locals with bear issues. If not, it is available online.

Otherwise, a load of rock salt, ice melt, in a 1 1/4oz wad with a light load of Red Dot will do the trick. Tell them to be sure to clean the bore after usage, as you know what salt residue can do to steel.
Check with the DWFP and see if they will do anything. Is it 1 bear or multiple. if one the DWFP might be able to trap it and move it FAR away. Anyway be-careful of shooting at the bear with rock salt. It might just p^&s him off and come after your Brother-in-law, or you might get in trouble for shooting a bear (regardless of what is used).

One bear.Game and fish came on sight but bear was gone so not sure what to do from here.
Brother in law got a bear tag as his dog can't go outside to relieve itself out of fear of the big black bear.
Edit to add:Game and fish said to not shoot it with anything if you don't have a tag,not even with rock salt as it is their bear.
That is off the table.