Which shooting chronograph do you use?

Which brand of shooting chronograph do you use?

• Shooting Chrony

Votes: 512 36.2%
  • Oehler

Votes: 235 16.6%
  • CED M2

Votes: 189 13.3%
  • Pact

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • PVM-22

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Pro Chrony

Votes: 343 24.2%

• Total voters
Riley, if you ordered it from 1st shot gear you will probably have it tomorrow got mine a couple of weeks ago, ordered it on Wed. afternoon and it was delivered on Fri. that is service.

I ordered it from mile high shooting, they had a group buy over on the hide for a little cheaper than 1 shot gear. They should get a shipment of them this week, so by next week i should have mine. gun) Now all i need to tie up my reloading/shooting gear is a STM (i think i will be putting my sonic cleaner, tumbler, and pro chrono up for sale soon), a $$hawkeye bore scope$$, and the quickload software. :rolleyes:

Been using a Magneto Speed too. It runs a few FPS faster than my Oehler 35 but is consistent with several rifles tested with both. The magneto speed is definitely growing on me. I just subtract 10 fps and load up the ballistic app and I am on.

Jeff

I have found similiar results using my Magnetspeed for a couple of months. I subtracted 10-20 FPS depending on the rifle used, which would then match my Oehler. I seems to match my Shooter apps calculated velocity loss difference between the 15ft distance of the Oehler and the MS sitting right in front of the muzzle. On several separate days, and two different rifles, the MS gave me FPS and ES which were within a few FPS. It's so precise that I have been able to determine the exact number of shots it takes to stabilize the velocity from a clean bore. I have also found that with both my rifles my group size and POI does shift with the MS mounted, so i dont combine the two processes, the only drawback. I may be just my rifles though. I'll likely sell my Oehler, this is great technology.

I have also found that with both my rifles my group size and POI does shift with the MS mounted, so i don't combine the two processes, the only drawback.

Which is a substantial handicap, and the reason I won't purchase one. But I understand the convenience, which is why many will prefer this approach in a chronograph.

Which is a substantial handicap, and the reason I won't purchase one. But I understand the convenience, which is why many will prefer this approach in a chronograph.

I have not seen anything that I would call a substanial handicap, the convenience is just the icing on the cake with the Magneto but getting accurate velocity data every time you use it is what is making it a prefered tool. If I do see the Magneto change my group I'll change how I do things but I will still get velocity data from the Magneto!

I have not seen anything that I would call a substantial handicap, the convenience is just the icing on the cake with the Magneto but getting accurate velocity data every time you use it is what is making it a preferred tool. If I do see the Magneto change my group I'll change how I do things but I will still get velocity data from the Magneto!

Greyfox experienced and stated the handicap.

I have also found that with both my rifles my group size and POI does shift with the MS mounted, so i dont combine the two processes, the only drawback. It may be just my rifles though.

This affect on group size and POI is to be anticipated. If it's not a substantial handicap to you, then it just means you don't personally consider it 'substantial'. Others, including myself, will.

Two years ago I had a manufacturer rep ask me if I was interested in testing their prototype of a magnetospeed in concert with my chronographs. I don't know if that was the manufacturer of what is now known as the Magnetospeed or not. I wasn't interested because I knew I couldn't perform load development with the unit fastened to the muzzle of my barrel. I wasn't interested in wasting ammunition just to see if their unit functioned consistent with my chronographs. If I could have developed hunting loads at the same time I shot with their unit hanging off the muzzle, I would have volunteered.

For LRHs that don't chronograph their loads during load development, or for shooters that don't reload their own ammo and shoot factory ammo, this handicap may be inconsequential.

Last edited:
Greyfox experienced and stated the handicap.

This affect on group size and POI is to be anticipated. If it's not a substantial handicap to you, then it just means you don't personally consider it 'substantial'. Others, including myself, will.

Two years ago I had a manufacturer rep ask me if I was interested in testing their prototype of a magnetospeed in concert with my chronographs. I don't know if that was the manufacturer of what is now known as the Magnetospeed or not. I wasn't interested because I knew I couldn't perform load development with the unit fastened to the muzzle of my barrel. I wasn't interested in wasting ammunition just to see if their unit functioned consistent with my chronographs. If I could have developed hunting loads at the same time I shot with their unit hanging off the muzzle, I would have volunteered.

For LRHs that don't chronograph their loads during load development, or for shooters that don't reload their own ammo and shoot factory ammo, this handicap may be inconsequential.

Agreed. I think that the effect of the MS in POI, and that whether or not this is a detriment is a function of each shooters load/rifle development process. I have rarely integrated my accuracy development with chrornographing. This is largely due to the ambiguity of velocity results that exists unless lighting conditions were just right. I could optimize accuracy unhindered by these conditions. Once accuracy was established I could get my velocity/ES info when I thought conditions would give me credible information. The MS is exceptionally accurate, sets up in a minute or two, and can be done at my convenience.IMO.

Agreed. I think that the effect of the MS in POI, and that whether or not this is a detriment is a function of each shooters load/rifle development process.

10-4. Provided users/purchasers understand this affect of strapping the Magnetospeed to the end of their barrel and have no issues with it, then this unit could be their 'Cat's Meow'.

10-4. Provided users/purchasers understand this affect of strapping the Magnetospeed to the end of their barrel and have no issues with it, then this unit could be their 'Cat's Meow'.

Funny thing about this. I did the complete load development of my new LRKN with the Magneto speed on the barrel. Then once done I removed it and set zero in two shots. I have repeatedly shot this rifle to well over 2000 yards with first round hits. It is boring to shoot it at 1000, the accuracy is that good. So this may not be the proper method, but it suits me.

PS: I inputted the magneto speed velocity average in my AB app and have not changed it.

Jeff

So this may not be the proper method, but it suits me.
Jeff

Sure seems like the proper method for you Jeff. Makes no matter whether or not it's proper for others. It's a blessing that your accuracy was apparently unaffected, or negligibly affected. Both POI and accuracy can and will vary with some rifles (probably most), having the MagnetoSpeed attached versus unattached. This is well documented, as I expressed in another Thread yesterday through the design and use of the Browning Boss System.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...rono-accoustic-chronograph-107412/index5.html

The Boss is designed to alter the accuracy of any load out of a rifle by a slight adjustment in the position of weight protruding slightly past the muzzle. Wrapping the MS to the end of the barrel is a huge shift in weight compared to the Boss. But I or no one else could state that the attachment of the MS to the end of a barrel will affect accuracy on every single barrel that it's attached to. Only that it's to be expected. My personal expectation is that change will be observed on more than 50% of rifles. No problems if it happens and a person knew it was likely, or a possibility. Anything known can be worked around one way or another. More troubling should it happen and the shooter have no expectation it was possible.

And for folk that develop their loads without a chronograph, or don't load their own ammunition - no sweat. They can wait until they've got their pet load worked up, or until they've settled on their preferred factory load, and then strap the MS on their barrel and quickly establish muzzle velocity out of their rifle. The MS could be their cat's meow.

Different strokes for different folks. There are few one method fits all requirements in shooting, or life, unless an individual volunteers, or gets railroaded, into subscribing to that philosophy.

Funny thing about this. I did the complete load development of my new LRKN with the Magneto speed on the barrel. Then once done I removed it and set zero in two shots. I have repeatedly shot this rifle to well over 2000 yards with first round hits. It is boring to shoot it at 1000, the accuracy is that good. So this may not be the proper method, but it suits me.

PS: I inputted the magneto speed velocity average in my AB app and have not changed it.

Jeff

after a lot of thought on the concept of the Magneto speed chronograph verses the more common units out there, I see no issue other than the end results are not comparable (but probably relatively close). Least wise it'd seem that way to me.

Other than point of impact being different, I'd like to know the differences in velocity between a barrel mount, and say a good unit placed ten feet and say fifteen feet past the muzzle. Plus how close to the "claimed" muzzle velocity in the manual to what the magneto speed shows on it's read out are they?
gary

Other than point of impact being different, I'd like to know the differences in velocity between a barrel mount, and say a good unit placed ten feet and say fifteen feet past the muzzle. Plus how close to the "claimed" muzzle velocity in the manual to what the magneto speed shows on it's read out are they?
gary

Broz ran some tests against his Oehler 35P and reported a very good correlation in recorded velocities. I've read other positive user postings on the MS also while browsing the web. It seems pretty fool proof as far as the recording of velocity. I not certain that it records velocity of lead cast bullets without a jacket, but for jacketed bullets in common use in rifles, it is reportedly working very reliably, and giving velocities people feel are correct.

I'd like to know the differences in velocity between a barrel mount, and say a good unit placed ten feet and say fifteen feet past the muzzle. Plus how close to the "claimed" muzzle velocity in the manual to what the magneto speed shows on it's read out are they?
gary

Oehler 35 and Super were roughly 16' from the muzzle. The one error was the strap coming loose on the magneto. We tightened it and kept an eye on it after that.

First up was a .223. Below are the velocities recorded from each unit.

Shot............. O35..............Magneto..............Super

1:.................3261..............3289......... ..........3166
2:.................3300..............error........ ...........3231
3:.................3314..............3335......... ..........3221
4:.................3294..............3315......... ..........3248
5:.................3316..............3337......... ..........3251

Next rifle was my 6 BR

Shot..............O35...............Magneto....... ........Super

1:.................2821..............2829......... ...........2851
2:.................2824..............2832......... ...........2851
3:.................2813..............2820......... ...........2831
4:.................2805..............2810......... ...........2828
5:.................2815..............2823......... ...........2841

Next rifle was a 284 Winchester

Shot..............O35...............Magneto....... .........Super

1:................2834...............2837......... ...........2854
2:................2842...............2855......... ...........2864
3:................2857...............2860......... ...........2870
4:................2825...............2831......... ...........2837
5:................2828...............2836......... ...........2857

Last was BnG with his 338 RUM and some 250 Bergers

Shot.............O35................Magneto....... .........Super

1:................3084...............3099......... ............3005
2:................3100...............3117......... ............3028
3:................3072...............3092......... ............3005
4:................3088...............3105......... ............3001
5:................3094...............3097......... ............3028

Here you go Dick, and you know how good the Oehler 35 is so do you think I would switch without a full test? :D

Jeff

Broz ran some tests against his Oehler 35P and reported a very good correlation in recorded velocities. I've read other positive user postings on the MS also while browsing the web. It seems pretty fool proof as far as the recording of velocity. I not certain that it records velocity of lead cast bullets without a jacket, but for jacketed bullets in common use in rifles, it is reportedly working very reliably, and giving velocities people feel are correct.

Huh, never though about straight lead bullets, I'll strap it on a Sharps and find out one of these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.