What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Do you use MOA or MIL

• MIL

Votes: 277 27.2%
  • MOA

Votes: 741 72.8%

• Total voters
I voted Mil. I wouldn't even consider a scope that wasn't mil/mil FFP. I use a laser range finder and know how to range with the reticle but I'm having alot of trouble finding accurate measurements of North American game. Without these estimations of size, ranging with the reticle is impossible. Any links would be great.

I also range in meters; I go full metric because that's the best system with the 1:1000 ratio and there's no multiplying by 3.6 anywhere. The only drawback to the total metric system is that we measure the accuracy of our rifles in MOA. Maybe I'll start a new trend and tell people how accurate my rifle is in mils!

Haagen Dazs ,.,,,,

I agree with you, the MIL system is easy, 10cm (4") spacing between the dots at 100 meters, 1 meter (40") spacing between the dots at 1,000 meters ,,,,

drop compensators on many metric scopes are 1 cm clicks,,,, 10 clicks = 1 meter at 1,000 meters ,,,,
500 meters = approx 550 yards ..... 1,000 meters = approx 1,100 yards ,,,,, SOOO EASY ,,,,,

now, I went hunting for trophy antelope a few years ago with a good outfitter friend of mine, using HIS rangefinder, I forgot his rangefinder was probably set in yards, so when he gave me the range of a nice buck at 730 yards, I held for 730 meters and sailed JUST over the antelope's back ! ,,,,,

we got the buck later that day at 200 yards, but this is the lesson learned, and if you look at the pole results here, only 28% of shooters use the MIL metric system ,,,,

what's a mother to do !??!

Voted for Mil/Mil but whatever system you choose has the same results just try to stick to one and you'll do fine

I voted Mil. I wouldn't even consider a scope that wasn't mil/mil FFP. I use a laser range finder and know how to range with the reticle but I'm having alot of trouble finding accurate measurements of North American game. Without these estimations of size, ranging with the reticle is impossible. Any links would be great.

I also range in meters; I go full metric because that's the best system with the 1:1000 ratio and there's no multiplying by 3.6 anywhere. The only drawback to the total metric system is that we measure the accuracy of our rifles in MOA. Maybe I'll start a new trend and tell people how accurate my rifle is in mils!

Spot on sir.

Haggen Daz, Here are some numbers I have. I have measured many of my game and they vary. I also have 2 close friends that are taxidermist, so have measured many forms also. Deer and bear seem to vary most from region to region. Small Texas type deer versas a large midwest farm or Canadian. I also have seen very large bull elk. I had a friend shoot one that was almost 1000# he weighed it and was a butcher at time.my best hunting bud shot a bull this year and front 1/4 was 140 and rear 1/4 120#no skin. In comparison we had friend drop off Canadian moose in his cooler front 120#,rear 115# no skin, full 1/4's, moose was 57'' bull. Elk was a E MT. Elk was 520# hanging meat, this put live weight up there, guts hide,head. antelope 16'',whitetail 18'',mule deer 22'',bear 22'',elk32'',moose 40''. These nubers from game I have taken in my area, I shoot mature animals, one muley was 32'' around at ears, I have taken a 7-3'' black bear and a 8-6'' cat. I am in process of making a range book and righting down mil sizes of game at different ranges, doe ,buck etc, for reference.

I think in inches so MOA is quick for me. I was just starting to learn and be able to call shots in MIL then my shooting partner moved across the country. My next scope will be MIL.

mil, moa, iphy, ballistic reticle, simple plex, doesn't make much difference to me. I use them all and everything depends on application mostly. They can all be used for rangefinding and downrange zeroing using the exact same formula actually [the subtension variable is the only difference in the "mil-ranging" equation, no matter what you're using].

There is certainly an advantage if the spotter is using the same system as the shooter. But you can make anything work with a little more time. And i will concede metric vs. imperial for one less variable in the equation as well. Wish we would have switched to it way back when, but we didn't.

I was out hunting coyotes last month and had the opportunity to reticle-range an antelope doe [avg. 14" back to brisket that i always use] and cow elk [avg. 24" b-b] at 450 and 775 respectively and both were within PBR [danger range] both times of the laser reading for each tgt. size using the NP-R1 one MOA unit.

Here is an example of a RR'ing system using a 1/2 mil subtension unit [Holland's HUMR or TMR] for 11" coyotes back to brisket, no in the field calcs. needed--

IMG_0630.jpg

As far as the number of Mil shooters go, it looks like here its 30% and 70% are Moa.

On SnipersHide a similar poll was done, over there 60% of the voters (out of the 330 that voted) were Mil users and close to 40% Moa users.

I voted Moa (specifically the reticle) because IMO it is better suited for longrange hunting.

Love it!

I use mils as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.