Kodiak brown bear rifle

Brian or Steve
Have you done any load work on the 329 and a 375 rum?

We have not loaded it in the RUM. I just looked at some data and I think I would start with H1000 at about 95g. That should be pretty light but load density should still be good enough for a start load.

Steve

If you want an all around bullet that you can count on to save your butt in a pinch with a big bear you want something guaranteed to get extreme penetration.

That being the case there are two bullets that really stand out to me which are the Nosler Partition and the Peregrine Plainsmaster. Both will expand somewhat especially when pushed by the Rum but neither will breakup no matter how much bone and muscle it punches through.

The Partition is one of the most proven bullets ever manufactured and was built specifically for deep penetration on tough animals. The Peregrines come from S. Africa and are extremely popular with dangerous game hunters. I got turned onto them on my trip to Africa when the Swift Siroccos I was shooting failed on the first two animals I shot, overexpansion and shearing off at odd angles. Even on really big, really heavy bodied animals they punched straight through with both shoulder shots and head on shots to the chest. They also shoot extremely accurately for me in all four of the rifles (different calibers from .260 Rem to .375 Ruger).

In fact I shot probably the largest boar that I've killed in 5-10 years tonight with the .260 Rem 125gr VRG4. He was just over 300yds and it was nearly dead dark. He was quartering but facing me and I put it in the crease between his neck and shoulder and let it rip. He went straight down never taking a step. The bullet passed through the neck, spine, and I think may have buried up in the off shoulder, I'm hoping we can dig it out tomorrow when they are processing it. I won't get an exact weight on him till tomorrow but he's over 400lbs live wt. Hogs not only have thick tough hides they are probably the densest bodied animals we have in N. America so that should give you a pretty good idea of the kind of performance you can get from them.

As tough as it is to get .375 Rum Brass and ammo I'd encourage you to reconsider and look at the .375 Ruger or even the .416 Ruger. If you're not shooting beyond 600yds the Rum really doesn't offer you much in terms of increased performance for the added recoil and muzzle blast which really are substantial.

I have the .375R in a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan stainless with the hogue stock and love it, it's seriously one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

Before committing to the Rum I'd really encourage you to see if you can find someone that has one who'll let you shoot it.

If you want an all around bullet that you can count on to save your butt in a pinch with a big bear you want something guaranteed to get extreme penetration.

That being the case there are two bullets that really stand out to me which are the Nosler Partition and the Peregrine Plainsmaster. Both will expand somewhat especially when pushed by the Rum but neither will breakup no matter how much bone and muscle it punches through.

The Partition is one of the most proven bullets ever manufactured and was built specifically for deep penetration on tough animals. The Peregrines come from S. Africa and are extremely popular with dangerous game hunters. I got turned onto them on my trip to Africa when the Swift Siroccos I was shooting failed on the first two animals I shot, overexpansion and shearing off at odd angles. Even on really big, really heavy bodied animals they punched straight through with both shoulder shots and head on shots to the chest. They also shoot extremely accurately for me in all four of the rifles (different calibers from .260 Rem to .375 Ruger).

In fact I shot probably the largest boar that I've killed in 5-10 years tonight with the .260 Rem 125gr VRG4. He was just over 300yds and it was nearly dead dark. He was quartering but facing me and I put it in the crease between his neck and shoulder and let it rip. He went straight down never taking a step. The bullet passed through the neck, spine, and I think may have buried up in the off shoulder, I'm hoping we can dig it out tomorrow when they are processing it. I won't get an exact weight on him till tomorrow but he's over 400lbs live wt. Hogs not only have thick tough hides they are probably the densest bodied animals we have in N. America so that should give you a pretty good idea of the kind of performance you can get from them.

As tough as it is to get .375 Rum Brass and ammo I'd encourage you to reconsider and look at the .375 Ruger or even the .416 Ruger. If you're not shooting beyond 600yds the Rum really doesn't offer you much in terms of increased performance for the added recoil and muzzle blast which really are substantial.

I have the .375R in a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan stainless with the hogue stock and love it, it's seriously one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

Before committing to the Rum I'd really encourage you to see if you can find someone that has one who'll let you shoot it.

I have 200 375 rum brass and a whole bunch more of the 300 rum if I need to neck them up.
I am committed to the 375 rum as the components are in. The action was devoloped for the case.
Thanks for the input on bullets. As with any bullet the minimum velocity required for expansion is the question as well as expansion at muzzle velocities

When the first opportunity came to do this hunt I started this thread.
The research and devolopment started. I always knew that Travis would build it.
The questions were which cartridge and what style.
Now the cartridge has been secured along with the brass.
The style has been rethought and discussed many times. Now that has been locked in.
As I stated earlier the bullet is the open area I have left to decide on.
Thought I would put this in to help out

How's this build going to fare if you have to go into the alders after him? I hunt tight cover almost exclusively. Having a 24" or longer bolt gun in tight cover is for me a gigantic pain in the arse. I do carry a couple of shorter bolt guns both 22". My goto is a 760 obviously not an option for your build, If however you choose a back up this in a 18" 35 whelan would be lightning in your hands. To give you an idea how fast animals can cover distance. I shot my buck at 30' this year. He was getting ready to run. I hit him in the chest right above the the white to brown color change he was above me on a 30+% grade. the bullet exited smashing his offside femur and opened 8" of his gut. The second shot was as fast as I can run my pump gun and that is quite fast was a neck shot as it past me to the left at 4'. Had that been a big bear instead of a small deer the bear would have been past me by the length of a big bear.
Do you think your build would afford you a any margin of error? Do you have a plan for a worst case?
These are the questions I ask myself. I ran a pack of hounds on black bears for awhile. Obviously not the same level of danger or must have power needed. I can say with confidence though that big bears act entirely different than smaller younger ones. In over 100 kills I witnessed the bigger bears always took longer to expire even with perfect shots from below into the chest cavity. A much higher percentage shot than one on the ground in tight quarters.

How's this build going to fare if you have to go into the alders after him? I hunt tight cover almost exclusively. Having a 24" or longer bolt gun in tight cover is for me a gigantic pain in the arse. I do carry a couple of shorter bolt guns both 22". My goto is a 760 obviously not an option for your build, If however you choose a back up this in a 18" 35 whelan would be lightning in your hands. To give you an idea how fast animals can cover distance. I shot my buck at 30' this year. He was getting ready to run. I hit him in the chest right above the the white to brown color change he was above me on a 30+% grade. the bullet exited smashing his offside femur and opened 8" of his gut. The second shot was as fast as I can run my pump gun and that is quite fast was a neck shot as it past me to the left at 4'. Had that been a big bear instead of a small deer the bear would have been past me by the length of a big bear.
Do you think your build would afford you a any margin of error? Do you have a plan for a worst case?
These are the questions I ask myself. I ran a pack of hounds on black bears for awhile. Obviously not the same level of danger or must have power needed. I can say with confidence though that big bears act entirely different than smaller younger ones. In over 100 kills I witnessed the bigger bears always took longer to expire even with perfect shots from below into the chest cavity. A much higher percentage shot than one on the ground in tight quarters.

Yes I have thought about worst case scenario.
24 inches for this barrel.
Tight alders will have to be dealt with.
I will will have a 45-70 marlin lever also

Yes I have thought about worst case scenario.
24 inches for this barrel.
Tight alders will have to be dealt with.
I will will have a 45-70 marlin lever also
If I were you I would practice with that lever alot. One great way to train running shots is have a partner throw bouncing ground balls with a soft ball. Try to hit it 3 times as fast as you can run the gun. This is why I shoot the 760 over the lever gun. The first shot is the same but the pumping action pulls you back on target through the recoil much faster than the lever can.
They make reactive targets that will fair better than the soft ball but I think you will be surprised how long that first soft ball will last:D
Best of luck looking forward to the pictures and the story!