Brown bear Hunt

The time is almost here for Fall bear on the peninsula. I'm jealous.... My thought is whatever you are using, be very comfortable with it. My go-to brown bear rifle is an M03 in .375 H&H, it just works well with 300gr A-frame or Bonded Bear Claw HE rounds.

Have a great hunt!

One thing worth noting is that as a non-resident, you'll be accompanied by a guide on a brown bear hunt.

On my grizzly hunt a couple of years ago, the guides had just come off a month of working on Kodiak, and each just brought those rifles:

338 Win Mag, Sako, 225 gr Barnes TSX
375 H&H, Rem 700, 260 gr Nosler Accubond

I used a 30-06 with 200 gr Nosler Partitions, the other hunter in camp used a 7mm Rem mag with 140 gr Barnes TTSX as I recall. He had loaded 160's but grabbed a box of his 140's by mistake and made a one-shot kill on his grizzly.

However, we were hunting the interior grizzlies, smaller than the coastal brownies. Mine squared a bit over 8' and all the shooting was done at under 50 yards. I remain impressed by big bears. Thought I'd got the "big bear" thing all out of my system... But I dunno… Getting the urge to go again. Might take the 375 if I do.

fhEnXOoh.jpg

Guidance I got before the hunt was to bring a rifle with which I was very familiar and shoot heavy, premium bullets. The outfitter was quite content with my choice of the good ol' 30-06 and 200 gr Partitions.

Regards, Guy

One thing worth noting is that as a non-resident, you'll be accompanied by a guide on a brown bear hunt.

On my grizzly hunt a couple of years ago, the guides had just come off a month of working on Kodiak, and each just brought those rifles:

338 Win Mag, Sako, 225 gr Barnes TSX
375 H&H, Rem 700, 260 gr Nosler Accubond

I used a 30-06 with 200 gr Nosler Partitions, the other hunter in camp used a 7mm Rem mag with 140 gr Barnes TTSX as I recall. He had loaded 160's but grabbed a box of his 140's by mistake and made a one-shot kill on his grizzly.

However, we were hunting the interior grizzlies, smaller than the coastal brownies. Mine squared a bit over 8' and all the shooting was done at under 50 yards. I remain impressed by big bears. Thought I'd got the "big bear" thing all out of my system... But I dunno… Getting the urge to go again. Might take the 375 if I do.

fhEnXOoh.jpg

Guidance I got before the hunt was to bring a rifle with which I was very familiar and shoot heavy, premium bullets. The outfitter was quite content with my choice of the good ol' 30-06 and 200 gr Partitions.

Regards, Guy
Congrats! But to me that would be like taking down hawks with a fly swat lol I love my .300 Win Mag, but given a chance at a brownie, I'd take a .375 or .416 Ruger lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.