Brown bear Hunt

Another vote for the 375 having more manageable recoil then any of the fast 338s. As 86AK stated much more of a shove. I have both a #1 and a model 70.
I think 338 is to Alaska what the .375 is to Africa, the perfect all around cartridge. Personally I think a rifle battery is incomplete with out one of each.
I think a Brown Bear hunt would be a great excuse to buy a 375. A lot of bears have been taken with an 06, I like a little more gun.

Depends on the bear, the 225+ copper bullets would cover you just fine. My 338WM would run the 250 at 2800fps, but I was not concerned with brass life, only performance. If I were to do it again, it'd be a hammer sledgehammer or badlands bulldozer for sure. I'm a big fan of copper solids for reliability. I'd run the 200gr barnes from a 300WM and you'd be doing just fine, or a fast 180gr barnes.
I had a 24" 338 Win Mag, and averaged 2840 with a 250 Partition. Was all good until I shot it in the summer, the bolt stuck. I learned the hard way to be careful of temperature.

I'm headed to the peninsula in October for brownies. My guide has stated that a 338 Winchester with 225's or 250's and good bullets is good to go. I've been working up loads for my 338 with 225 and 250 A-Frames and I've been able to get the 225's and 250's both up to about 2775 fps.

While this isn't bad for the 250's, it seems slow for the 225's. I've gotten 225 Speer Spitzers up to 3,000fps with this rifle.

My question is, what kind of velocities are people getting with 225 Sledge Hammers from a 338 Winchester? Anybody getting them up to 2900 or so? Anyone willing to share the recipe they're using so it doesn't take me 100 rounds of testing?

Thanks

Cross

I'm headed to the peninsula in October for brownies. My guide has stated that a 338 Winchester with 225's or 250's and good bullets is good to go. I've been working up loads for my 338 with 225 and 250 A-Frames and I've been able to get the 225's and 250's both up to about 2775 fps.

While this isn't bad for the 250's, it seems slow for the 225's. I've gotten 225 Speer Spitzers up to 3,000fps with this rifle.

My question is, what kind of velocities are people getting with 225 Sledge Hammers from a 338 Winchester? Anybody getting them up to 2900 or so? Anyone willing to share the recipe they're using so it doesn't take me 100 rounds of testing?

Thanks

Cross

I don't handload any more, but I did. I was using 225 Accubonds and RL19

Thanks, I've tried RL-19 and with the A-Frames it wasn't very impressive. I've used Accubonds in the past but for the really big bears I've decided that I'm going to use copper monoliths, A-Frames or Partitions. I've shot some Barnes Xs but haven't found them to be very fast. I was hoping that someone could chime in with some experience with the 225 sledge hammers

Thanks, I've tried RL-19 and with the A-Frames it wasn't very impressive. I've used Accubonds in the past but for the really big bears I've decided that I'm going to use copper monoliths, A-Frames or Partitions. I've shot some Barnes Xs but haven't found them to be very fast. I was hoping that someone could chime in with some experience with the 225 sledge hammers

I wish I could be more help, but I dont even have my notes anymore. My pet 225 load was the Accubonds, at just over 2900 (i think 2912), and 3 shot group was 0.669". So I didn't experiment any more after that. The powder was either H4381 , 4350, or RL19. I'll see if my brother can dig my manuals out.

Much appreciated.

I have all of those powders

I went through my old Photobucket and found this. Sadly no speed noted, but I don't believe this was a 2900 load.

Attachments

• 225AB_71_zpsd02c25c1.jpg
    225AB_71_zpsd02c25c1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 214
Much appreciated.

I have all of those powders
He called back, and said I have 76.4gr of RL19 circled in the front of my manual. Speed was 2927 with a 225 Accubond and a Federal Match Primer, new Winchester brass at 3.34" coal. Please work up safely, because I don't remember how hot these loads were. The 71gr was a load a made for my nephew when he was 12, he wanted to hunt with my rifle.

I wouldn't be so worried about the speed. I realize that the speed brings greater energy, but is it really necessary. At 100 or so yes, which is where you'll probably be shooting from, the extra 100fps won't matter. Get that 225 Barnes or 250 a frame shooting spot on, and don't worry about velocity. At the ranges you should be engaging at, it'll be point and shoot, no correction necessary.

I wouldn't be so worried about the speed. I realize that the speed brings greater energy, but is it really necessary. At 100 or so yes, which is where you'll probably be shooting from, the extra 100fps won't matter. Get that 225 Barnes or 250 a frame shooting spot on, and don't worry about velocity. At the ranges you should be engaging at, it'll be point and shoot, no correction necessary.

What he said x2!!
Our rule is over 50 yards and under 150 yards for the browns.
Get them to shoot accurately and build your confidence with either one.
Then go have an adventure!!

Only one reason to have a 338 RUM on a hunt like that- to try and shoot one at REAL long range. Generally, this is frowned on during dangerous game hunts. Unless you are hunting an area where long range, wide open tundra shots are expected and you are getting this rifle just for the hunt- it has to be a 375.

I would feel completely comfortable with a 30-06 and 200 grain Partitions too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts